Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 10:24 AM

40,049 posts, read 34,475,681 times

Advertisements

Well, you know what Chico Marx said:

"You can't fool me; there ain't no Sanity Clause!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 02:30 PM

2,958 posts, read 2,550,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Most of you need to take off your blinders.

Check the forum threads for the subject....Sacred Circle & Prayer Request...Out does everything else put together!

You guys premise is A LOSER!
Well...maybe and maybe not. We're making headway by leaps and bounds. If they'll ever pass a law which describes and prohibits the brainwashing of infants and small children with 2000 year old fairy tales we will have won.

Just so you'll know this is the current twist on the thing:

ISS - Survey finds Christianity on the decline -- even in the South (http://www.southernstudies.org/2009/03/survey-finds-christianity-on-the-decline----even-in-the-south.html - broken link)

The percentage of Christians in America, which declined in the 1990s from 86.2 percent to 76.7 percent, has now edged down to 76 percent. Ninety percent of the decline comes from the non-Catholic segment of the Christian population, largely from the mainline denominations, including Methodists, Lutherans, Presbyterians, Episcopalians/Anglicans, and the United Church of Christ.

The number of Catholics is declining as well, but not nearly as much largely because losses in the Northeast have been balanced out by a growth of Catholics -- fueled by new immigrants -- in the South and Southwest. (Perhaps Christians have Latinos and other new immigrants to thank for keeping the church alive.)

Old 04-23-2010, 02:56 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,083,705 times
GldnRule: You have restated the 'argument through popularity', which doesn't mean that the belief is valid. It reminds me of some graffiti I saw at college, spray-painted on a construction zone fence: "Be an existentialist; 50 billion flies can't be wrong!"

Old 04-23-2010, 03:19 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,607,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
Well...maybe and maybe not. We're making headway by leaps and bounds. If they'll ever pass a law which describes and prohibits the brainwashing of infants and small children with 2000 year old fairy tales we will have won.

Just so you'll know this is the current twist on the thing:

ISS - Survey finds Christianity on the decline -- even in the South (http://www.southernstudies.org/2009/03/survey-finds-christianity-on-the-decline----even-in-the-south.html - broken link)

The percentage of Christians in America, which declined in the 1990s from 86.2 percent to 76.7 percent, has now edged down to 76 percent. Ninety percent of the decline comes from the non-Catholic segment of the Christian population, largely from the mainline denominations, including Methodists, Lutherans, Presbyterians, Episcopalians/Anglicans, and the United Church of Christ.

The number of Catholics is declining as well, but not nearly as much largely because losses in the Northeast have been balanced out by a growth of Catholics -- fueled by new immigrants -- in the South and Southwest. (Perhaps Christians have Latinos and other new immigrants to thank for keeping the church alive.)
Like I said...you guys really do need to get a clue. I mean, how deluded can you be?!!

I didn't say Christianity...though I understand your awe with the "REEEEEEEIGNING...and DEEEEEEEEEEFENDING....WOOOOOOOOORLD CHAAAAAAAAAMPEEEEEEEN.....PHILOOOOOOOOSOPHYYYYYYYY ". Nothing else comes close. I know that drives you crazy...but THAT IS as empirical a fact as anything.

I said the concept "God" is universally influential.

You guys are like a sports team that has a record of 1Win against 9Losses, but goes around telling the other team that has always whooped up on them, about how they "don't know how to play"...And the 1 for 10 record doesn't matter, they are, in fact, "the best team"...and, "we're gonna get you". All the members of the other team that has trounced them over, and over, and over again, just shake their heads and say to each other, "Get a load of those guys, we mow over them like they aren't even there, and yet they're talkin' smack!"

When you guys put together a "decent team" that has some kind of "game", maybe you'll have some "CRED"...until then you are coming from a position that is so weak that it really isn't even taken seriously, let alone looked at as a contender. No matter how often you declare yourselves "The Champ", your "1 for 10" record in the contest of, Belief vs Non belief, PROVES otherwise.

Your game, is not now...nor will it EVER be...anything but a loser. You need a whole new "game plan" if you ever expect to compete.

You'll never beat God...becaaaaaaaause--HE'S GOD! He is LORD, MASTER & OWNER of you, me , the Earth, this solar system, the Milky Way, all the other galaxies, and EVERYTHING else in the ENTIRE universe. When you get hip to that you'll be a lot better off.

Old 04-23-2010, 04:16 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,607,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
GldnRule: You have restated the 'argument through popularity', which doesn't mean that the belief is valid. It reminds me of some graffiti I saw at college, spray-painted on a construction zone fence: "Be an existentialist; 50 billion flies can't be wrong!"
Of course it's valid. I live in a democratic society....majority RULES. DIG THIS:::::Popular majority may not rule in the laboratory...but real life isn't a lab...and in real life---popular majority IS KING.

Try living in real, actual, society...where hardly anything is objective...and you don't need "proof"...you just need to have the most "mojo".

You want to know how it "REALLY IS"?-----I am AAAAAD POOOOOOPULUUUUUUM....My offense is impetuous, my defense impregnable...What I say, IIIIIIIS LAWWWWWWW!!!!!!.

THAT'S what's real!

Old 04-23-2010, 06:06 PM
Status: "Without God, life is tragic and absurd." (set 27 days ago)

20,367 posts, read 12,647,775 times
Quote:
Yeah, good luck with that!

Old 04-23-2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Seems the movement is progressing without any kind of luck. When I was a boy in the early 1940's my third and fourth grade school teachers assigned each one of us a bible verse on Monday and we had to recite it before the class on Friday. How is that kind of stuff working for you now?

Old 04-24-2010, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Don't want to talk about it huh?

Old 04-30-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Don't want to talk about it huh?
What's the difference between

Quote:
If they'll ever pass a law which describes and prohibits the brainwashing of infants and small children with 2000 year old fairy tales we will have won.
and a law to put prayer back in public schools? Freedom of religion Melvin!

Old 04-30-2010, 08:22 PM

Melvin, sounds like you might like Communist China.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality