U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2009, 11:59 AM

81 posts, read 131,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The belief in Santa Claus by children is widespread. In an AP-AOL News poll, 86% of American adults believed in Santa as children, with the age of 8 being the average for stopping to believe he is real, although 15% still believed after the age of 10. In New Zealand, 85 percent of 4-year-old children and 65 percent of 6-year-olds believe in Santa Claus.
AP Poll: Santa Claus Endures in America - washingtonpost.com

To quote Jacqueline Woolley, a psychology professor at the University of Texas at Austin:
Quote:
The adults they count on to provide reliable information about the world introduce them to Santa. Then his existence is affirmed by friends, books, TV and movies. It is also validated by hard evidence: the half-eaten cookies and empty milk glasses by the tree on Christmas morning. In other words, children do a great job of scientifically evaluating Santa. And adults do a great job of duping them.
From their birth, children look to their parents for what to think. If Dad says it, it’s true. If Mom does it, it’s fine. Parents have influence and control over their children’s minds, and yet they persist in lying to those little minds.

But, parents may protest, it’s not a lie! Santa Claus brings presents to good children every Christmas with his reindeer? They believe that?
But why is it that lying to children about Santa Claus is so different from any other lie children would be punished for? So what parents mean no harm? He’s not real. So what he was based on a good man? St. Nicholas died over 1,600 years ago. Yet parents still lie, and their children believe them.

Christmas is not just in America and New Zealand. It is worldwide.
Christmas worldwide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you’re naughty, Santa Claus gives you coal in your stocking; he doesn’t torture and maim you for all eternity because you didn’t accept his only begotten elf as your personal savior (and after having created you in such a way that you would be “naughty”).
Santa Claus never told women that they must be submissive to and obey their husbands, respecting their authority.
Nobody uses Santa Claus as a pretext to determine who is allowed to fall in love, marry, and have a family, and who is not allowed.
Santa Claus doesn’t make anyone feel torrents of guilt just because they notice that a member of the opposite (or, same) sex is very, very attractive.
Santa Claus is used to manipulate you into buying things; God is used to manipulate you into supporting evil wars and evil leaders.
Belief in Santa Claus means you might remain ignorant about where your presents really come from; some beliefs about God mean that you remain vastly ignorant and deceived about where we come from… and where we are going—and are compelled to strive to keep everyone else just as ignorant.

micah.cowan.name » God vs Santa Claus

Young children are predisposed to believe what ever their parents may teach them. Society perpetuates an elaborate system of belief according to which children will never actually see Santa Claus, that he is unobservable.The existence of Santa Claus therefore is untestable. If you want people to believe in something that doesn't exist, you simply build into the mythology the notion that the entity is invisible --or does his work when no one is watching. Young children don't have the faculty to question such fallacies. But adults do.

The time the Santa Claus myth is dispersed and your family gathers round and dismisses the jolly one as an elaborate childhood hoax is a crucial time in terms of critical thinking. Your religion will not waiver in this manner as your parents won't smirk and let you realize the myths of their religion are equivalent to Santa Claus. They won't because they don't believe it.

Thenceforth, Santa Claus is quick to be denied, and the support is ubiquitous when the wool is uncovered from the child eyes. Religion maintains it's myths, backed up by centuries of myth-adherence and [for some] strong sentimental attachment for the people and events related to an upbringing in churches or congregations related to church. The childhood sentiment of Christmas time remains stalwart. With it's ornate home decorations, it's Pagan tree-in-the-room, it's Americanized holiday melodies, years worth of production of books, films, cartoons, and shows related to Christmas, and the inimitably comforting appeal to the senses and sentiment. Religion is entirely equal in these regards, and it is an ignominy.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 12:07 PM

4,070 posts, read 4,964,859 times
God is Santa Claus for adults.

Old 01-31-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
God is Santa Claus for adults.
but with an elaboration for life after death according to behavior rather than a yearly payload for good behavior.

Old 01-31-2009, 01:35 PM

4,512 posts, read 6,579,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anaarkh View Post
but with an elaboration for life after death according to behavior rather than a yearly payload for good behavior.
let me know about such elaborates, svp.

Old 01-31-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by effie briest View Post
let me know about such elaborates, svp.
Hehe... the popular Christian doctrine of judicial afterlife for one...

As is wont for me to digress mysteriously from boorish topics, I submit for further perusal, this image:

Nick Gurewitch (comic author) does not mind the publishing of his comics if he is properly attributed. http://www.pbfcomics.com

Old 09-25-2009, 12:23 PM

2,958 posts, read 2,080,102 times
When I was a youngster we used to go to prayer meetings on Wednesday evenings. Prayer lists were a foot and a half long. Every family either had a member or knew someone who was dying of cancer or heart disease. Guess What? The folks suffered and died. There was no treatment for heart disease and surgery was all they would try for cancer and half the time when they cut out a tumor the disease masticized and spread all over their body. Bottom line is that prayer does nothing except in the mind of the one praying.

Now that medical science has advanced to the place where they have sophisticated electronic diagnostic equipment such as catscan, MRI, etc. and chemo, radiation, stem cell transplants, organ donors etc. the same kind of patients live on to their eighties and sometimes nineties. Now the ones who pray think their prayers are being answered. Check the actuarial tables the insurance companies use when they sell insurance and then compare them with those being used back in the 1940's.

I'm 75 years old and I've never seen anthing which couldn't be explained by the physical laws of nature and circumstances...period.

Anybody who believes 5000 men, not counting women and children, were fed with two fish and five loaves then twelve baskets of leftover bread was gathered is either very naive or very brainwashed. ~Luke 9:16,17~

Old 09-25-2009, 07:42 PM

9 posts, read 17,347 times
Right, because rather or not something created the universe on purpose has everything to do with Santa Claus. = /

Old 09-25-2009, 08:45 PM

1,268 posts, read 1,557,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zise View Post
Right, because rather or not something created the universe on purpose has everything to do with Santa Claus. = /
..or any other imaginary characters. Like Jesus and Bible God

Old 09-26-2009, 02:31 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,236,543 times
I sometimes think that if I ever have kids I would raise them more with "The Three Magi" or St. Nicholas rather than Santa Claus. Although the culture being what it is that might not be plausible.

Still in some ways I think Santa Claus might be a bad influence. The "if this is a lie God's a lie" deal. Although for me I switched from Santa Claus to St. Nicholas pretty easily. That gives a message more of "This is a legend, it originates in a truth but has accreted a bunch of stuff over the centuries." That's a fairly useful lesson relevant to archaeology and history. Santa Claus becomes like Johnny Appleseed or various lost cities discovered in archaeology. So maybe I'd do it after all.

Old 09-26-2009, 01:24 PM

13,849 posts, read 9,648,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anaarkh View Post
But why is it that lying to children about Santa Claus is so different from any other lie children would be punished for? So what parents mean no harm? He’s not real. So what he was based on a good man? St. Nicholas died over 1,600 years ago. Yet parents still lie, and their children believe them.
Huh??? Are you mad???
You don't believe in Santa? Let me help convince you. First of all, good people believe in Santa Claus. Nice people. Don't you want to be good and nice? Why do you want to be cynical? Could Satan be covering your eyes from the truth?

Look, Santa has a history. Saint Nicholas was a living, breathing human being. He was written about. I can supply you with actual quotes and commentary if you'd like. In addition, there were innumerable eyewitnesses.

We KNOW Santa brought presents. This is a FACT. It's not in doubt. We KNOW that even the church recognizes this individual!

We KNOW he did good deeds. You can't possibly doubt this.

Now, here's the tricky part: After Santa died, he rose again and now lives at the North Pole, where he is immortal. Every year he brings presents. Every single year. Or, well...he did at first. At first, people would wake up, and...there would be the presents! Why? Because they BELIEVED.

Then people began to doubt. And you know what happened when they doubted? Santa stopped coming. And so today, we have to give each other presents instead. We do this over and over and over again and have, for hundreds of years, and will for a thousand years, or maybe even two thousand, or more...to show Santa our faith. If we hang in there long enough with it, Santa will come back and will give us the presents.

But guess what--people who DON'T believe will not only NOT get presents...but they will be thrown into a huge pit of fire. All day, every day. For eternity. Santa loves you! But if you don't believe in Santa he will kill you daily (figure that one out). He will turn his face away and party and keep playing with all the presents in the Place Where the Believers Went. But for you? You'll be screaming, begging and on fire but he'll just refuse to acknowledge you. Too bad! You should have believed.

Oh WHY didn't you just believe...Why not? I'll bet it's for cynical reasons. You've never seen Santa. You don't believe he rose and went to the North Pole because that can't be proven. You know what? The reason you doubt is either because Satan has taken up residence inside you, or, well, you're just stubborn. You're CHOOSING not to believe. Because you're basically a nasty person. And because deep down...you hate Santa. Admit it, you know you do.

I feel sorry for all of you, who have never felt Santa's great love. There is no love greater than that of Santa, well I mean, for people he isn't destroying and throwing into a pit of fire for eternity. I think you're AFRAID of that love. I think that's why you so deliberately reject such a sweet soul. I mean how could you? Have you ever seen a picture of Santa? He's so cute. Only a hideous Satan-influenced creep could possibly not love this man. Because when he's being nice (and not throwing people into fire) he is the MOST loving thing, ever.

Santa said: Bring all the little children to me; and forbid their stockings not. Why do you think he said that? Because children are gullible and will believe anything? NO, of course not...there's your cynicism again! It's because children's hearts are wide-open. Verily I tell you all, until the day you reverse in time and go back to believing in Santa as literally as you did when you were four, you will remain in earth's limbo, waiting to be judged and thrown into fire.

So there....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality