Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 02:49 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,270,219 times

Advertisements

I will have to say that this post comes from another forum. I did not move it over because it was appropriate for that particular site, but I was intrigued. What do you think accounts for the fact that the New England states (bastions of Salem, no less) are the least religious? Are they less demographically diverse ? They are the thinnest also if that means anything.

WASHINGTON — Want to be almost certain you'll have religious neighbors? Move to Mississippi. Prefer to be in the least religious state? Venture to Vermont.

A new Gallup Poll, based on more than 350,000 interviews, finds that the Magnolia State is the one where the most people — 85% — say yes when asked "Is religion an important part of your daily life?"

Less than half of Vermonters, meanwhile — 42% — answered that same question in the affirmative.

The complete list:

• Mississippi: 85%
• Alabama: 82%
• South Carolina: 80%
• Tennessee: 79%
• Louisiana: 78%
• Arkansas: 78%
• Georgia: 76%
• North Carolina: 76%
• Oklahoma: 75%
• Kentucky: 74%
• Texas: 74%
• West Virginia: 71%
• Kansas: 70%
• Utah: 69%
• Missouri: 68%
• Virginia: 68%
• South Dakota: 68%
• North Dakota: 68%
• Indiana: 68%
• Nebraska: 67%
• New Mexico: 66%
• Pennsylvania: 65%
• Florida: 65%
• Maryland: 65%
• Ohio: 65%
• Iowa: 64%
• Minnesota: 64%
• Illinois: 64%
• Michigan: 64%
• Delaware: 61%
• Wisconsin: 61%
• District of Columbia: 61%
• Idaho: 61%
• Arizona: 61%
• New Jersey: 60%
• Wyoming: 58%
• Colorado: 57%
• Hawaii: 57%
• California: 57%
• Montana: 56%
• New York: 56%
• Connecticut: 55%
• Nevada: 54%
• Rhode Island: 53%
• Oregon: 53%
• Washington: 52%
• Alaska: 51%
• Massachusetts: 48%
• Maine: 48%
• New Hampshire: 46%
• Vermont: 42%

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 04:24 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,476,619 times
mmmmhmmm

I would have been tempted to think that CA would be in Vermont's position but they have the OC.

Not that it really matters.

Wherever you are --find your niche.

We have an abundance in GA and I don't worry about it. 'Some', works for me.

Good FYI.

Old 02-01-2009, 05:14 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,352,591 times
I don’t think you can judge an Atheist by their size. I know a lot and they come in all sizes, heights, races, and sexes. I still think it has to do with education. The higher the education levels the less chance of being fished in by a book of myths.

Old 02-01-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
I don’t think you can judge an Atheist by their size. I know a lot and they come in all sizes, heights, races, and sexes. I still think it has to do with education. The higher the education levels the less chance of being fished in by a book of myths.
I'm not certain what you are saying. New England is historically free thinking and therefore might not be defined as 'religious' whether this implies Atheism or not I would not be able to make such an assessment.

???

Old 02-01-2009, 08:28 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,181,218 times
Level of education and religiosity is inversely correlated IIRC. That has been my personal experience as well.

Quote:
I will have to say that this post comes from another forum. I did not move it over because it was appropriate for that particular site, but I was intrigued. What do you think accounts for the fact that the New England states (bastions of Salem, no less) are the least religious? Are they less demographically diverse ? They are the thinnest also if that means anything.
I'm only speaking for my experiences in MA, but it certainly seems to be that our population is pretty diverse. At least in the Cambridge/Boston area.

Old 02-01-2009, 08:40 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,452,170 times
It was a long time ago, but I took a religious sociology class in school that had interesting commentary about what was called the 'un-church belt'. Essentially, it was the three Lower 48 West Coast states. Since I was studying in one of those states, this was particularly germane. The polling data the professor was working with at the time revealed an interesting phenomenon. If you asked about belief in a supreme being, there wasn't much difference between here (I still live in one) and other parts of the nation. What was very different, according to the data, was that the West Coast had a much lower percentage of people specifically identifying with a given church.

In the professor's opinion, this helped explain why unconventional religious movements tended to grab and take hold out here. If you tried to pitch the Church of Tarkus in Boston or Birmingham, people were likely to rejoin that they went to the Whichever Church, and that was their church, and that was going to be their church, and that was that. If you tried it in California, you at least met less resistance.

In case anyone is deeply interested, the professor was Rodney Stark (now at Baylor). He has done a lot of writing on the topic. He was one of the best-liked professors at UW in my day, and he's always been a much less dry writer than the typical academic.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:18 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,854,040 times
I suspect it isn't entirely true, but, I have always suspected that the state of ignorance is populated with more christers. It certainly seems that way here in the south.

Old 02-02-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
I suspect it isn't entirely true, but, I have always suspected that the state of ignorance is populated with more christers. It certainly seems that way here in the south.
North Carolinians seem to be realists, jmo. Those of my acquaintance at least.

Wondering what the Higher Power thinks of what goes on --absolutely ridiculous is about all I can conclude.

Glad to be within driving distance of the mountains of NC. Majestic.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:41 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,615,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
mmmmhmmm

I would have been tempted to think that CA would be in Vermont's position but they have the OC.

Not that it really matters.

Wherever you are --find your niche.

We have an abundance in GA and I don't worry about it. 'Some', works for me.

Good FYI.
You'd be surprised at how religious California is... it's not just Orange County, either. I've gotten called all kinds of names and told I was going to be residing in all kinds of fiery, summer weather vacation homes when I leave this earthly realm I think people often forget how agricultural California is and how steadfast to older belief systems those 'farmers' are. Plus, we have a very very very very large immigrant population who is vastly Catholic.

Old 02-02-2009, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
You'd be surprised at how religious California is... it's not just Orange County, either. I've gotten called all kinds of names and told I was going to be residing in all kinds of fiery, summer weather vacation homes when I leave this earthly realm I think people often forget how agricultural California is and how steadfast to older belief systems those 'farmers' are. Plus, we have a very very very very large immigrant population who is vastly Catholic.
Interesting. I suppose the agricultural area is around Sacramento and possibly Napa.

How I would love to visit CA again and tour it more fully. I know those that are transplanted to Atlanta miss it badly, particularly the coast--the Atlantic will never be the Pacific. Beautiful state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality