Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 06:26 PM

605 posts, read 1,107,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Social liberals in the country's "blue states" tend to support sex education and are not particularly troubled by the idea that many teen-agers have sex before marriage, but would regard a teen-age daughter's pregnancy as devastating news. And the social conservatives in "red states" generally advocate abstinence-only education and denounce sex before marriage, but are relatively unruffled if a teen-ager becomes pregnant, as long as she doesn't choose to have an abortion.
Quote:
Among major religious groups, only black Protestants begin having sex earlier.

FULL ARTICLE

Old 02-01-2009, 07:33 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,352,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deguire View Post
This one is easy. Sex education. Many of the red Bible Belt States think telling a hormone filled teenager not to have sex is all the sex education they need. It was not enough for the parents, and I feel sure it won’t be for their children.

Old 02-01-2009, 07:54 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
I also think religion has a lot to do with it. The US, has twice the teen births as any other industrialized nation.

Statistics... United States 54.4 teen births per thousand, of which 17 are aborted.

The very liberal Netherlands has 6.9 teen births per thousand with 5.2 aborted.

Old 02-01-2009, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I also think religion has a lot to do with it. The US, has twice the teen births as any other industrialized nation.

Statistics... United States 54.4 teen births per thousand, of which 17 are aborted.

The very liberal Netherlands has 6.9 teen births per thousand with 5.2 aborted.
This says VOLUMES!

Old 02-01-2009, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
This one is easy. Sex education. Many of the red Bible Belt States think telling a hormone filled teenager not to have sex is all the sex education they need. It was not enough for the parents, and I feel sure it won’t be for their children.

My mother's sex education (from the conservative Caribbean) went like this:

"You better not bring any young child home here to me."

Other kids in my neighborhood got the same threat with some prayers thrown in for good measure. Both worked wonders.

Last edited by Deguire; 02-01-2009 at 08:54 PM..

Old 02-01-2009, 08:36 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,700,997 times
I was just reading that teen birth rates are more than twice as high in Texas as they are Massachusetts. Education levels are higher in Massachusetts too. I don't know if there's a correlation.

Old 02-01-2009, 08:57 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deguire View Post
This says VOLUMES!
Yup, The evangelicals are always ranting against abortion laws, but ironically their beliefs are what is causing the high abortion rate in the US for the most part.

Perhap condom dispensers should be allowed in High schools the way the are here in Canada and many other countries. Kids are gonna have sex no matter what their parents say.

Old 02-02-2009, 02:13 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,211,173 times
From a Fox News article some interesting stats.
Of the 1.6 million abortions performed in the U.S. each year, 91 percent are performed during the first trimester (12 or fewer weeks' gestation); 9 percent are performed in the second trimester (24 or fewer weeks' gestation); and only about 100 are performed in the third trimester (more than 24 weeks' gestation), approximately .01 percent of all abortions performed.
This pretty much takes the sails out of the PBA boat.
Each year more than one million U.S. teenagers become pregnant — one in nine women aged 15-19 and one in five who are sexually active.
In 1988, the teenage pregnancy rate was 113 per 1,000 women aged 15-19. The rate was 74 per 1,000 among those aged 15-17.
In 1988 Reagan was in charge. The stats peak in the 90's slightly but this is attributed to population growth.

http://www.nrlc.org/ABORTION/facts/graph.gif (broken link)
50 percent of teenage pregnancies conceived in 1987 resulted in a birth, 36 percent in an abortion, and an estimated 14 percent in miscarriage.

Eighty percent of women having abortions are single; 60 percent are white; 35 percent are black.
The stats show a decline through the HW, Clinton and W presidencies thus it appears that family planning/contraception is working in reducing the numbers.

As of 2005, in SA, the rate per 1000 is only 101 and here abortion was legalized in 1994 sometime. Contraception here is provided free at clinics in the form of BCP's and condoms are distributed free at all workplaces. At schools, these are available on request from the social studies teachers but like any embarrassed scholar is really going to go and ask for this

What is also ironic, is that after abortion was legalized, the numbers decreased over a period of 3 years from; 3.5 (1993) to 1.8 (1997). Since then however it has increased to 101 per 1000. The increase is likely more related to more accurate records post apartheid and more concerted effort to free healthcare.

The interesting stat to be observed here is that per 1000, we are still lower than the USA.

SO IMO, sex ed is necessary and abstinence only is a myth that needs to be defeated. Hormones have their natural tendency to drive people to procreate when they are at their most fertile. Teens are ever really ready to raise kids and that places all the additional burdens of "shame" and ownership on the grandparents.

In my daughters class year (Gr 10), there are 10 girls with child (all black) and they are carrying to term even though abortion is a legal option here, the culture of pro life still prevails even amongst the "native" population. Together with the option of abortion, the government provides financial and health care to teen mothers to help them until they either marry or find work themselves.

Negating choice will not stop pseudo abortions (aka D+C operations) and worse those done back room which endangers the mother.

Abortion is usually a last resort decision for most women.

In SA, combating the spread of AIDS is more paramount than BC wrt contraception.

Old 02-02-2009, 06:03 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,065,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Yup, The evangelicals are always ranting against abortion laws, but ironically their beliefs are what is causing the high abortion rate in the US for the most part.

Perhap condom dispensers should be allowed in High schools the way the are here in Canada and many other countries. Kids are gonna have sex no matter what their parents say.
I'm sorry, but placing dispensers in bathrooms, to me, is encouragement.

I'm not naive enough to think kids won't mess around, but I'm not going to buy them contraception and tell 'em to have a good time.

Old 02-02-2009, 06:25 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,231,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
I'm sorry, but placing dispensers in bathrooms, to me, is encouragement.

I'm not naive enough to think kids won't mess around, but I'm not going to buy them contraception and tell 'em to have a good time.
Oh yeah, every time I walk past the condom aisle at Walgreen's I grab some and run out and have sex with the first guy I see. I just can't handle myself!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.