U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 07:23 AM

5,563 posts, read 6,148,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
cncracer wrote:

Dammit, I know it, but I've tried putting up flashy billboards and neon signs next to my nest and I still can't seem to attract a mate!
Try "rich guy lives here"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 08:20 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,148,556 times
This thread brings up an interesting side-question. Animals such as elephants and primates have been taught to paint abstracts or play musical instruments. This is a fact. So, since paintings and music are both art, is what these animals do considered art? Or is it merely an action they've been trained to do? They certainly seem to enjoy doing it, once they've been shown how.

So...the question is does art require intent? Or can art happen by chance, without intelligent intent driving it?

Old 02-03-2009, 08:23 AM

49 posts, read 121,349 times
Default Art for art's sake

You mean like a dog without a bone, like an actor all alone?

"Art needs no audience"----Britney Spears

Old 02-03-2009, 08:26 AM

4,512 posts, read 6,580,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
This thread brings up an interesting side-question. Animals such as elephants and primates have been taught to paint abstracts or play musical instruments. This is a fact. So, since paintings and music are both art, is what these animals do considered art? Or is it merely an action they've been trained to do? They certainly seem to enjoy doing it, once they've been shown how.

So...the question is does art require intent? Or can art happen by chance, without intelligent intent driving it?
Yeah.

i have seen (domestic) animals relating to humans so as to imitate their habits as if to show them, look, i know what you like. Or in the case of an impending earthquake, what you need.

and not that i would have had any intent to "train" them.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by effie briest View Post
Yeah.

i have seen (domestic) animals relating to humans so as to imitate their habits as if to show them, look, i know what you like. Or in the case of an impending earthquake, what you need.

and not that i would have had any intent to "train" them.
I don't think you're understanding the question I'm asking...does a work of art require that its maker intended for it to be art?

When a chimpanzee paints an abstract painting, is he doing that because he has an artistic vision in his head of what it should look like, or is he doing it because he knows it's an action that pleases his trainer? If he's merely imitating the trainer, is it art? And if it's merely an action performed in order to receive a reward from the trainer, is it still art, or is it not art? This is what I mean by "does art require intent".

Old 02-03-2009, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomegenius View Post
You mean like a dog without a bone, like an actor all alone?

No, that's not what I mean. Art does not require an audience in order to be art. I'm asking if it requires the conscious intent that it BE ART in order to be so.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:41 AM

7,916 posts, read 16,399,669 times
AwesomeGenius wrote:
Quote:
Well, from my humble point of view, Britney Spears doesn't deserve an audience.

ZugZub wrote:
Quote:
I don't think you're understanding the question I'm asking...does a work of art require that its maker intended for it to be art?
No, I don't think it does. I think that the creative nature of an individual which is being expressed in some form is just following a natural inclination and doesn't have to be classified by that individual as art. It seems to me that someone with no outside influences regarding the definition of art wouldn't view their own creative activities as something that required a different category than any of their other activities.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:50 AM
BST

451 posts, read 1,019,405 times
Quote:
No, that's not what I mean. Art does not require an audience in order to be art. I'm asking if it requires the conscious intent that it BE ART in order to be so.

I once took a hike with friends who brought their dog on a leash. We rounded a bend and saw a felled tree with interesting textures at its base. The dog saw the same tree, but the shadows made the tree appear to have wide eyes and open jaws - textbook aggressive posture for a dog. My friends' dog went ballistic. She had seen something abstract and interpreted it as something meaningful to her. Could that be art appreciation? or just a fight/flight response?

I think art appreciation requires some form of cognition. The art is only 'seen' by the handler. The animal is conditioned thru positive reinforcement to recreate the handler's 'art.' Humans do it because it's pleasing to us on some level regardless of what others think.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:52 AM

4,349 posts, read 6,487,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
cncracer wrote:

Dammit, I know it, but I've tried putting up flashy billboards and neon signs next to my nest and I still can't seem to attract a mate!
You just have to keep adding sticks to the nest and in time the perfect mate comes along with poor vision and redesigns the nest, throws out your toys, and directs what you can and cannot eat, read, or watch. Sounds funny, but it is really much better that way????

Old 02-03-2009, 09:56 AM

4,512 posts, read 6,580,670 times
Quote:

When a chimpanzee paints an abstract painting, is he doing that because he has an artistic vision in his head of what it should look like, or is he doing it because he knows it's an action that pleases his trainer? If he's merely imitating the trainer, is it art? And if it's merely an action performed in order to receive a reward from the trainer, is it still art, or is it not art? This is what I mean by "does art require intent".

right. you don't think.that i'm understanding...

what would be intent? what art?

i took a mutual and loving kind of understanding for granted.

sorry if it distracts your individual thinking already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality