U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 11:01 AM

7,916 posts, read 16,457,102 times

Advertisements

BST wrote:
Quote:
The dog saw the same tree, but the shadows made the tree appear to have wide eyes and open jaws - textbook aggressive posture for a dog. My friends' dog went ballistic. She had seen something abstract and interpreted it as something meaningful to her. Could that be art appreciation?
I'm not a dog (some will differ with that opinion) but I suspect that the animal tries to search for patterns in order to understand what they're looking at just like human beings do and for some reason it appeared to be something threatening.

cncracer wrote:
Quote:
You just have to keep adding sticks to the nest and in time the perfect mate comes along with poor vision and redesigns the nest, throws out your toys, and directs what you can and cannot eat, read, or watch. Sounds funny, but it is really much better that way????
No, that sounds like the makings of a crime scene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 05:02 PM

18,429 posts, read 18,714,697 times
Although it may come about accidently, I have no problem with the idea of a solitary person making music or creating some form of art .
Just inadvertantly humming or murmuring a monotone and noticing it could please and easily develop into a string of different tones and pitches (a melody of sorts).
If amused, it would be repeated and become more.
With a stick in hand, again inadvertantly, one might doodling in the dirt, notice that it looked like something or had a pattern. Same as above on development.
I believe that one creates art and music to please themselves first and foremost so being alone wouldn't be a detriment.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:27 AM

6,343 posts, read 8,525,528 times
No. The fact that we evolved from social animals (apes) laid the grown work for all that we have become. I think that if we were solitary creatures, the need for food and shelter would take up so much time that we would not have the surplus of time and energy to create art, music etc. Those "higher-pursuits" would just not be practicle for a lone man, struggling for survival.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:35 AM

30,047 posts, read 30,821,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
I saw a post earlier complaining about how there's little philosophy discussion here, so I thought I would try to start one that was completely absent of religion or Atheistic thought.

Say man never reproduced in large numbers and ended up solitary like many different animals in nature, would there still be art, music and literature? Would man bother to be creative if there was nobody else around? If man and woman only came together to mate, would there be a society of humankind at all?
I doubt if mankind would have survived the stone age as solitary animals. We are such weak pitiful creatures physically compared to all the creatures that considered us lunch. With out banding together early man would had little success as hunters and would probably have become extinct long ago.
Banding together also allowed sharing of ideas, aided in the development of our brain, and language skills....So no, I don't think even if man had survived as a solitary animal there would be any art or music and certainly not literature. There is no literature without language.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:22 AM

2,333 posts, read 2,451,354 times
Post The answer was in Paul Tillich (the courage to Be).

Quote:
Say man never reproduced in large numbers and ended up solitary like many different animals in nature, would there still be art, music and literature? Would man bother to be creative if there was nobody else around? If man and woman only came together to mate, would there be a society of humankind at all?
So the problem is one of the import of Paul Tillich's concepts in social progress. We have to look into the ideas we are considering of history up to the Angst point in time at Now. There is something that means true Progress, and it is not merely a bigger, better, faster America or whichever nation we are in.

We are asking the question whether a personal relationship with God is available for any individual to consider the progress of vainer mterial explanations. For such a person Progress is real in the capacity to find relations with the fellow human being.

In such a structure its a measure of the Art, books the worlds is reading, and the sense of day-to-day sensory and auditory feelings that atest to the true human's progress.

Old 02-05-2009, 04:23 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,451,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
I saw a post earlier complaining about how there's little philosophy discussion here, so I thought I would try to start one that was completely absent of religion or Atheistic thought.

Leftydan, are you meaning that the social grouping as a result would need to study itself through Anthropology? Or is the anthroplogy, as an indeed now rational investigation, to be filled with speculation or superstition for one's ancestors? Maybe there could be some atheism but that would certainly open to broad subjective alteration, either that or there would be objectivism stifling and rigorously abusing changes for new thought, nit belief but thought. Maybe the beliefs would hold so dearly be enforced by collective demarcation scaring death into the members.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality