Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2007, 11:47 AM

279 posts, read 1,139,132 times

Advertisements

Coming in late to this topic....being Roman Catholic and going to private school, HS and a Jesuit University and being married in the Church... I now if ever really go to church, read the bible? --lat time I was in high school.

To be fair-I know many love the bible and read it daily to seek and obtain answers they need to justify or resolve or to simply find comfort. But in my personal opinion, the bible in all its glory was written simply by mortal men. And these men were told these stories handed down person to person....stories are not facts and we all know the bible was written long after these events happaned.. it wasn't as if the water changed to wine and that night it was written down... or maybe it was..who really knows?

There are all kinds of "good books" all written by, men, who want everyone else to believe and follow what is written... Not written by God not written by a higher being, but by men.

Truly you dont have to follow the bible or any other good book in order to live well and be a good person. Just use the basic common sense in your brain. Be nice to people, dont kill anyone, dont steal, dont have affairs, respect your family, love your children and protect them, dont go into debt live a good life and treat people as you want to be treated... kind of a no-brainer dont you think?

Oh ya!! protect the children--- seems priests have a real problem with that one huh? Cant wait to see how they answer that one when they die!! LMAO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2007, 11:52 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,668,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trmc2007 View Post
Coming in late to this topic....being Roamn Catholic and going to private school and a Jesuit University and being marreid in the Church... I really rarely go to church and read the bible --lat time I was in high school.

To be fair-I know many love the bible and read it daily to seek and obtain answers they need to justify or resolve or to simply find comfort. But in my personal opinion, the bible in all its glory was written simply by mortal men. And these men were told thse stories handed down person to person....stories are not facts and we all know the bible was written long after these events happaned.. it wasn't as if the water changed to wine and that night it was written down... or maybe it was..who really knows?

There are all kinds of "good books" all written by, men, who want everyone else to believe and follow what is written... Not written by God not written by a higher being, but by men.

Truly you dont have to follow the bible or any other good book in order to live well and be a good person. Just use the basic common sense in your brain. Be nice to people, dont kill anyone, dont steal, dont have affairs, respect your family, love your children and protect them, dont go into debt live a good life and treat people as you want to be treated... kind of a no-brainer dont you think?

Oh ya!! protect the children--- seems priests have a real problem with that one huh? Cant wait to see how they answer that one when they die!! LMAO

These are my thoughts as well.

Old 03-28-2007, 12:06 PM

Thank you-- religion I think is a very personal view and belief-- kinda like my body-- leave it alone and let me do with it what I want. LoL

Old 03-28-2007, 12:14 PM

1,396 posts, read 1,188,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trmc2007 View Post
Coming in late to this topic....being Roman Catholic and going to private school, HS and a Jesuit University and being married in the Church... I now if ever really go to church, read the bible? --lat time I was in high school.

To be fair-I know many love the bible and read it daily to seek and obtain answers they need to justify or resolve or to simply find comfort. But in my personal opinion, the bible in all its glory was written simply by mortal men. And these men were told these stories handed down person to person....stories are not facts and we all know the bible was written long after these events happaned.. it wasn't as if the water changed to wine and that night it was written down... or maybe it was..who really knows?

You need to understand the MEN of the Bible!! They never intended for these books to be put together so they have actual accounts with God and how they saw and did things folowing God. Moses spoke personally to God!!! I don't believe he made these books up that he wrote. Just think they have been applied wrong in the world!!!
In most American churches people don't even realize the Old Testament was written for the Jews and then the New Testment gave all of us Jesus if you are willing to believe!!

Protect the children this is the mess of the Catholic church and not Christians in general!!!

Old 03-28-2007, 12:47 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,440,404 times
Don't forget, the Koran was written down, dictation straight from the Arcangel Michael, not a human interpretation, but dictation. Gods word straight from heaven.

Old 03-28-2007, 12:47 PM

I understand that MEN wrote the bible. I also understand that they talked to God.. hmmmm.. First part of the Bible written for the Jews? thats one way of looking at it, considering they were Jewish and Jesus was a Jew.

Lets put it this way-- people all over the world say that God talks to them-specifically and tells them what to do or say... this does include murderers, thieves and wackos-that lot... Do you believe that God Does? or that God only talks to the people that do good people.. then define "good people".

Old 03-28-2007, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbasinguide View Post
Don't forget, the Koran was written down, dictation straight from the Arcangel Michael, not a human interpretation, but dictation. Gods word straight from heaven.
LOL--Dictation straight from the Archangel Michael not human interpretation but dictation...no not Gods words, Michaels words.

Okay -- God told Michael what to say.. still not God talking though and... still written by man.. and the man said Michael the Archangel to him to write this down.... Archangel Michael who is a bible, koran carrying angel spoke to diff people at multiple times saying different things...on two diff religions--to start...

See why people just dont do organized religion? not to mention the money it costs to make sure God hears you on Sunday--he hears you on Mon-Sat--but just not as well as on Sunday, when you hand over your donation.

Old 03-28-2007, 01:57 PM

1,396 posts, read 1,188,719 times
OH NO here we go AGAIN!!!!!!

Old 03-28-2007, 02:08 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,333,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildberries61 View Post
OH NO here we go AGAIN!!!!!!
LOL! The honeymoon can only last but for so long.

Old 03-28-2007, 02:11 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,116,943 times
But perhaps we can sit on the side-lines and root for each other's team!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyHateMachine View Post
LOL! The honeymoon can only last but for so long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality