U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 01:27 PM

37,649 posts, read 25,348,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeveenh View Post
Since so many different faiths/nonbelievers have different thoughts on what happens after we die...do you think it is possible that all those different things happen? Is it possible that our "fate" is dependent on what we believe when we are alive?
I don't want this to be taken simplistically (I'm not a simple guy) . . . but taken in the abstract, given what I know and have sensed about our reality thus far . . . our expectations are not an insignificant component of what is likely to happen. Even in our physical existence our expectations play a significant role in what we experience. Not to be too dogmatic . . . but perhaps God does have many "mansions" . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 03:17 PM

10,495 posts, read 10,091,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I was thinking the other day that this year it will have been twenty five years since my Father died. It's sad to think about but I have to acknowledge that he no longer exists and obviously can't be engaged in some sort of activity that dead people do. That's just not realistic and he didn't believe in anything like that while he was alive either. Death means the end of life, not the beginning of some new adventure or a journey to some new phase of existence. I realize it makes people feel better to believe that but there's no reason to believe there's any truth to it.
MontanaGuy, I'm not going to try to disprove anything that you just said here because I know you are a nonbeliever and I can respect that, however I want you to stop and think about how much you are like your father and I don't mean in a physical way, let's go beyond that, how about in a spiritual way, you seem to be just like him in the fact that you do not believe, maybe it's possible that a little bit of his spirit is in you, just something to think about, I know when my father passed away, and I was with him when it happened, some of his spirit is within me and it is the same with my grandfather, it's not anything that you can put your finger on and say this is it, it's more like a feeling, the way one does certain things that will remind you of that person, I believe that there is a little bit of the spirit of all of our ancestors in each and every one of us, that's just my belief and just something to think about.

Old 02-05-2009, 03:26 PM

4,512 posts, read 6,592,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
I always wonder what do you think those you have known and loved who have died long ago are doing as we speak. I know if there is an afterlife, there must be some kind of transition period, but then what? I often think about a few friends of mine who were twins, and they committed suicide many years ago at a young age. First one, then weeks later the other followed. I often wonder if they are still together, and what would they be doing right now. What do you think goes on in the afterlife after so long?

what can be thought may just not be to the liking of much of Christendom.

only "modern science" opened doors for thoughts hitherto gone into superstition and speculation.

and the possibility to differentiate between belief and knowledge.

i prefer to leave it at this abstract level for now.

Old 02-05-2009, 03:38 PM

995 posts, read 1,177,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
MontanaGuy, I'm not going to try to disprove anything that you just said here because I know you are a nonbeliever and I can respect that, however I want you to stop and think about how much you are like your father and I don't mean in a physical way, let's go beyond that, how about in a spiritual way, you seem to be just like him in the fact that you do not believe, maybe it's possible that a little bit of his spirit is in you, just something to think about, I know when my father passed away, and I was with him when it happened, some of his spirit is within me and it is the same with my grandfather, it's not anything that you can put your finger on and say this is it, it's more like a feeling, the way one does certain things that will remind you of that person, I believe that there is a little bit of the spirit of all of our ancestors in each and every one of us, that's just my belief and just something to think about.
So basically, its a way of achieving a little bit of immortality?...you're dead but a little bit of you lives on in the next generation. Then what about those who die without a progeny? I think its a human thing to want to live on even after you're gone...some turn to re-incarnation, some to the after-life while the atheists turn into recyling material (or so they would like to think)

Old 02-05-2009, 05:54 PM

8,178 posts, read 18,060,861 times
I was thinking the other day that this year it will have been twenty five years since my Father died. It's sad to think about but I have to acknowledge that he no longer exists .

Yes. That is true for me , too. It will be 25 years since my Dad died. It is hard to believe. Where did he go, I wonder? Can he see me (would he even want to)? I guess we will never know.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 02-06-2009, 04:36 PM

11,918 posts, read 13,844,212 times
Quote:
I always wonder what do you think those you have known and loved who have died long ago are doing as we speak. I know if there is an afterlife, there must be some kind of transition period, but then what? I often think about a few friends of mine who were twins, and they committed suicide many years ago at a young age. First one, then weeks later the other followed. I often wonder if they are still together, and what would they be doing right now. What do you think goes on in the afterlife after so long?
I believe that they are dead, not living anywhere, but that this is a temporary condition. They will one day rise again and death will be rendered powerless. God bless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality