U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 01:24 PM

661 posts, read 1,029,749 times

Advertisements

I am an agnostic, but I am genuinely interested in the opinions on this.

If Adam and Eve had not sinned, where would they be now, for it was sin that led to their deaths? Would they still be on earth, because that is what God wanted them to do....become fruitful and fill the earth.

Did God already have a plan to take them to heaven at some time or as Psalm 115:16 says, 'The earth he has given to the sons of men.'

Was heaven an afterthought, or a change to the original plan, because I cannot see anywhere in the Old Testament that the Israelites ever had a heavenly hope?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 01:37 PM

995 posts, read 1,174,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringwielder View Post

If Adam and Eve had not sinned, where would they be now, for it was sin that led to their deaths? Would they still be on earth, because that is what God wanted them to do....become fruitful and fill the earth.

Did God already have a plan to take them to heaven at some time or as Psalm 115:16 says, 'The earth he has given to the sons of men.'

Was heaven an afterthought, or a change to the original plan, because I cannot see anywhere in the Old Testament that the Israelites ever had a heavenly hope?
Adam & Eve would be residing in Paradise if they had not disobeyed God. They would not have been brought down to earth. Whether if they had stayed there, would there be children later on - only God knows

Old 02-04-2009, 02:25 PM

4,669 posts, read 3,899,929 times
They'd be living in the garden right now. I assume they'd have had kids.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:30 PM
BST

451 posts, read 1,019,070 times
Quote:

Great question Ringwielder! IMO, Adam and Eve were intended to live forever...and it could have still been possible after the fall (read Genesis 3:22-24). However, the Earth would be Paradise and there would be no need for faith as a vehicle to get there...nor death as the portal to pass through. We would also all be vegetarians...even the predatorial animals. The idyllic scenes described in Revelation are the culmination of Earth returning to the days of Eden.

Old 02-04-2009, 03:42 PM

307 posts, read 431,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BST View Post
Great question Ringwielder! IMO, Adam and Eve were intended to live forever...and it could have still been possible after the fall (read Genesis 3:22-24). However, the Earth would be Paradise and there would be no need for faith as a vehicle to get there...nor death as the portal to pass through. We would also all be vegetarians...even the predatorial animals. The idyllic scenes described in Revelation are the culmination of Earth returning to the days of Eden.
Well said, BST, my thoughts exactly. Wouldn't it be something to see our first parents?

Old 02-04-2009, 03:52 PM

6,715 posts, read 12,036,959 times
I don't know... Bobbing for apples perhaps???

Old 02-04-2009, 05:18 PM

21,259 posts, read 20,859,174 times
Quote:
They'd still be living blissfully -- and probably bored to tears -- in Eden. I don't believe they'd have had any children, so none of us would have ever been born. The reason I don't believe they'd have had children is that the Bible tells us that until after they ate the forbidden fruit, they were not even aware that they were naked. When they realized that they were, they were ashamed. I believe this is symbolic of their sexual innocence. This is not to say that they had any reason to be ashamed or that their transgression was sexual in nature. It's just that even though they had adult bodies, they were like children in many ways. It was not until after they ate the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil that they became sexually aware. It is not until after they were cast out of the Garden that we are told that Adam "knew" His wife.

Quote:

Heaven was definitely not an afterthought, nor was Adam's transgression an unforeseen glitch in God's plan. He knew they were going to disobey and that they were going to be in need of someone who was in a position to atone for their sins. That's why Jesus Christ was ordained to be this person before Adam and Eve were ever placed in Eden. The Bible refers to Him as "the lamb slain before the foundation of the world."

Old 02-04-2009, 05:30 PM

3,193 posts, read 2,864,220 times
If Adam and Eve had not sinned, then someone else would have. It was basically inevitable that someone would stray because we are given free will and thus free reign to make choices and decisions for ourselves. The very idea of a forbidden fruit or forbidden anything excites most humans because it is something they are not supposed to obtain. So, they covet that thing, be it fruit or whatever, all the more.

We should also keep in mind that if Adam and Eve were indeed the first two humans as the book would lead us to believe, then they would probably be more like children than anything. Happy, energetic, and curious to a fault, it was only natural that they got into trouble. So the only solution I can come up with is that this was all a part of God's plan from the beginning. This existence in flesh is merely a test of our ability to withstand our more primal nature and embrace peace and grace.

So, I believe if somehow Adam and Eve had managed to live without sin, their sons or daughters would have done us in. This is of course just my opinion, and God knows I could certainly be wrong.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:56 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,185,778 times
God gave us all a free will - it was inevitable that once the devil came along and temptation came - we could fall. And we did, BIG time! Thats why Jesus came into the world, to put right the wrong. But its our decision, we still have that free choice, whether to accept Jesus or reject him. But IN him and THROUGH him we can have that paradise again and a new life in him.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:20 PM

30,038 posts, read 30,666,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
They'd be living in the garden right now. I assume they'd have had kids.
And I would assume that you and I wouldn't exist....If people lived forever there would be no need to procreate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality