U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 03:06 PM

2,955 posts, read 6,647,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstars View Post
You think you could answer one more question for me?

Discuss the idea that a "tautology" gives no real information about the world. How is a "tautology" different from an expressive piece of speech, like the exclamation "Oh!"?
Just give this a read...

Tautology (rhetoric) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Get your head around the 1st part of the question (figure out how a "tautology" gives no real info about the world). ThinK of an example of a tautology (or use the ones Wikipedia gives you) and then think of an example of how the exclamation "Oh!" actually might say something useful about the world. Then compare the 2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 03:13 PM

1,788 posts, read 4,165,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstars View Post
I don't understand the second part of the question?
That's what instructors have office hours for. You won't learn anything if you expect us to do your research for you.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:03 PM

4,512 posts, read 6,601,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
You're welcome.
Here's hoping that your professor isn't familiar with The Google.
.. but generously skipping "spiritual property" ...

Old 02-06-2009, 11:47 PM

4,512 posts, read 6,601,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I haven't actually read it so I probably shouldn't even be commenting but I'm going to make a guess. It sounds to me like the prisoners that they're referring to are in such circumstances that their only awareness of the outside world is not a direct sight of what is actually taking place but rather the shadows of those events and they are having to try to determine the meaning of these shadows. I'm thinking that this is a metaphor for human existence and it's being suggested that man can't clearly see or fully comprehend the reality of his own existence or the universe around him and from this vantage point he is forced to try and interpret the world around him and what it all means.

Sir!
since your time is so crowded already, you have to speed up thinking
(it's Old Europe one way or the other), so try this one

Voltaire: …crasez l'Inf‚me

Last edited by effie g-tad; 02-06-2009 at 11:49 PM.. Reason: we consider enlightenment also as a failure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality