Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 04:51 PM

4 posts, read 14,969 times

Advertisements

Explain, discuss, and evaluate the following sentence from Plato's Myth of the Cave: "For the prisoners, reality would consist of nothing but the shadows?"

I simply didn't understand the passage here. Was Plato talking about the ignorance of the cave and crawling into the light of wisdom?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 05:36 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,381,943 times
You got a paper due tomorrow?
The answer to your question is: Yes. But there's a bunch of other stuff in there as well. Check out the Cliff's Notes.

Old 02-04-2009, 05:41 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,618,410 times
I haven't actually read it so I probably shouldn't even be commenting but I'm going to make a guess. It sounds to me like the prisoners that they're referring to are in such circumstances that their only awareness of the outside world is not a direct sight of what is actually taking place but rather the shadows of those events and they are having to try to determine the meaning of these shadows. I'm thinking that this is a metaphor for human existence and it's being suggested that man can't clearly see or fully comprehend the reality of his own existence or the universe around him and from this vantage point he is forced to try and interpret the world around him and what it all means.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:02 PM

It's really pretty complicated in that it wraps several philosophical questions into one.
The jist is: You have lived your whole life chained in place staring at a wall that projects manufactured shadows. You become comfortable in your ability to interpret reality because the shadow master presents patterns and you are able to recognize them - so you believe that you can see and understand how the world works. You're pretty wise.
Then you are freed and and sent into the real world where you don't understand anything because it doesn't fit in with your previous perception of reality (which was very adept) and you get disillusioned because you see that reality is not what you thought and you really don't know how to interpret it. You're not that smart after all.
Then you've got a couple different problems. You can return to the cave and be real smart again, but is it worthwhile? Also, when you return your eyesight is not accustomed to the darkness so you are not so good at understanding "the world" anymore. Somebody else is better. And they won't believe or even understand you if you use the excuse that your eyes are just not adjusted and that this is not even the real world. They will laugh at how ridiculous you sound.

So where would you rather be? What would you do?

Your answer just might say something about how you view the world, philosophically speaking.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
It's really pretty complicated in that it wraps several philosophical questions into one.
The jist is: You have lived your whole life chained in place staring at a wall that projects manufactured shadows. You become comfortable in your ability to interpret reality because the shadow master presents patterns and you are able to recognize them - so you believe that you can see and understand how the world works. You're pretty wise.
Then you are freed and and sent into the real world where you don't understand anything because it doesn't fit in with your previous perception of reality (which was very adept) and you get disillusioned because you see that reality is not what you thought and you really don't know how to interpret it. You're not that smart after all.
Then you've got a couple different problems. You can return to the cave and be real smart again, but is it worthwhile? Also, when you return your eyesight is not accustomed to the darkness so you are not so good at understanding "the world" anymore. Somebody else is better. And they won't believe or even understand you if you use the excuse that your eyes are just not adjusted and that this is not even the real world. They will laugh at how ridiculous you sound.

So where would you rather be? What would you do?

Your answer just might say something about how you view the world, philosophically speaking.
God Bless you man!!
The Lord has blessed you with great understanding!!

Old 02-04-2009, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstars View Post
God Bless you man!!
The Lord has blessed you with great understanding!!
You're welcome.
Here's hoping that your professor isn't familiar with The Google.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:51 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,030 times
I agree with superstars - b.frank has got it spot on! Isn't that just like the Christian life though? You live your life in a certain way - then BAM God opens your eyes and yes, you can SEE the Light!!! Once you are out of that cave of spiritual blindness - there is no going back - well that's my thourghts on it.

Old 02-06-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
You're welcome.
Here's hoping that your professor isn't familiar with The Google.
You think you could answer one more question for me?

Discuss the idea that a "tautology" gives no real information about the world. How is a "tautology" different from an expressive piece of speech, like the exclamation "Oh!"?

Old 02-06-2009, 12:56 PM

1,788 posts, read 4,753,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstars View Post
You think you could answer one more question for me?

Discuss the idea that a "tautology" gives no real information about the world. How is a "tautology" different from an expressive piece of speech, like the exclamation "Oh!"?
Uh...why can't you just research it yourself online?

Old 02-06-2009, 01:51 PM

I don't understand the second part of the question?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality