U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2009, 09:00 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,468,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
Just as you have no proof. You're wrong, I'm right. Period. Sorry, maybe next time.
LOL, you're funny, but I'm right.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 09:25 PM

21,418 posts, read 29,549,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
It is truly amazing to see all the anger and rage demonstrated by some folks against a god they don't even believe in.
It is truly amazing to see all the effort being exerted to disprove a book by some folks who admit they don't believe it.
It is truly amazing to see all the "absolute" statements regarding said god and book by folks whose philosophical viewpoint does not acknowledge or accept absolutes.

As far as "proving it" or "convincing" anyone who adamantly denies god and the bible .. it'll never happen. No matter what explanation or rationale or logical argument is made towards folks described above, they won't accept it anyway. So what's the point? To get into verbal confrontations with them? Not worth the effort.

I've said all that needs to be said . Time to shake the dust from my shoes and move on.
I agree with you mams. It's futile to try to talk to people who don't want to listen and only want to tear apart what we say. There comes a time after we state what we believe and why, we need to move on and stop wasting our time. After all Jesus said Matthew 7:6 "Don't give what is holy to unholy people. Don't give pearls to swine. They will trample the pearls and then turn and attack you".
How long before someone will come in here and say I called nonchristian's pigs??
2 Timothy 2:23 "Again I say, don't get involved in foolish ignorant arguments that only start fights".
Which is what this has become, so I'm moving on to more productive things too.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:49 PM

29,140 posts, read 18,397,968 times
I was at a church service once and the pastor held up the bible and everyone was cheering and praising it. The bible was their idol. Too many people hold the bible up higher than God.

I am definately closer to God with prayer. When I start reading the bible, I lose my closeness with God. Hard to feel loving to a God who sent bears to maul children who called a man a baldhead, a God who asked for child sacrifice, or a God who wanted no man with physical disabilites to be a priest, etc........................... Anyone who has thoroughly read the OT and take it literally about God, will have a pretty horrible picture of God!

Old 02-05-2009, 10:59 PM

45,270 posts, read 86,094,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
How could the Bible be the word of God if it is filled with contridictions, unanswered and unexplained questions, unverifiable events, questionable characters and many, many other flaws?

If the the Bible is the Word of God and the Word of God is the mind of God, as Christians believe...then... God has a confused mind, full of contridiction.

How could this be?
If you are sincerely asking this question (and I really hope you are) then what you have to do is STUDY to find the answers you seek. And do remember, a public message board like this might not be the best place to do any "studying".

To non-Christians who have not studied it, the Bible can indeed seem full of "contridictions, unanswered and unexplained questions, unverifiable events, questionable characters and many, many other flaws". But I promise you it is not.

However, until you learn to speak the language, so to speak, it will remain confusing to you. It's kind of like picking up a French book when you don't know a word of French and being frustrated that the book makes no sense to you, see?

I hope and pray you'll take the time to study what the Bible really says and teaches

Old 02-05-2009, 11:46 PM

2,058 posts, read 4,312,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
If you are sincerely asking this question (and I really hope you are) then what you have to do is STUDY to find the answers you seek. And do remember, a public message board like this might not be the best place to do any "studying".

To non-Christians who have not studied it, the Bible can indeed seem full of "contridictions, unanswered and unexplained questions, unverifiable events, questionable characters and many, many other flaws". But I promise you it is not.

However, until you learn to speak the language, so to speak, it will remain confusing to you. It's kind of like picking up a French book when you don't know a word of French and being frustrated that the book makes no sense to you, see?

I hope and pray you'll take the time to study what the Bible really says and teaches
"Studying" the bible is another issue that doesn't seem to make much sense when it comes to God. What if a person is illiterate, has mental problems and is incapable of "Studying" the bible? How can people suffering from such conditions "study". Does God exempt these people from "studying". It just doesn't make any sense why God would require people to read a book or "study" to get to know him?

Why would God expect any human being to accept a belief or believe in things that make no sense? Why would God give man logic and intelligence to use everyday throughout life, then tell man to "turn-off" logic and intelligence and take on faith to believe things in the Bible that go contrary to the logic and intelligence he gave man?

Old 02-06-2009, 05:28 AM

1,986 posts, read 3,468,180 times
Over and over I see christians trying to convince nonchristians that they do not put themselves on a pedistal, and over and over I see them judging nonchristians as ignorant and not worth the air we breathe. To them, we either have to go over to their way of thinking, or burn in hell forever. Is there anyone more sanctimonious than a christian?

They cower in fear of the bible. The bible is a book that has no power at all, only what they give to it. Worshipping it means they worship the men who wrote it , not God. It has been translated and interpreted so many times that it's impossible to say what message those men were trying to convey to begin with anyway.

I think christians try so hard to cram their way of thinking down our throats because they are afraid to admit what we say is true. They're afraid that what they believe in so strongly has no merit at all.

Organized religion was invented by men; persuasive men, no different the likes of David Koresh, Jim Jones, and all those others who hide behind walls and lead the ignorant by the noses. They are all the same. They all use books and brainwash the followers.

At least we have minds of our own and don't follow like lemmings or blind mice.

Old 02-06-2009, 06:26 AM

2,529 posts, read 3,792,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
I've heard it all now. You are equating yourself with God now are you??

You're right, there ARE indeed those here just to be jerks that have a personal vendetta against reason and fact. They claim ownership of something that isn't real or valid. I'm referring to the bible.
Yes, that's exactly what I'm doing. I'm equal with God, stormy, so don't mess with me.

I know I'm right. You're wrong. Didn't we already establish that?

Old 02-06-2009, 07:21 AM

4,639 posts, read 3,733,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I was at a church service once and the pastor held up the bible and everyone was cheering and praising it. The bible was their idol. Too many people hold the bible up higher than God.

I am definately closer to God with prayer. When I start reading the bible, I lose my closeness with God. Hard to feel loving to a God who sent bears to maul children who called a man a baldhead, a God who asked for child sacrifice, or a God who wanted no man with physical disabilites to be a priest, etc........................... Anyone who has thoroughly read the OT and take it literally about God, will have a pretty horrible picture of God!

Good Observation My Firiend

I think I want to make a comment on this.
I used this a few weeks ago with a friend and feel free to repeat it as much as you want or need.
Spiritual is having a relationship with God. Religious is having a relationship with someone else's God.
Religious is having a relationship with a Book, or a chirch or a congregation or a group of Followers.
I have met many people who claim to be religious, and the extent of their religion is a relationship with the Bible (Or the Torah or the Koran) That is it, that is all.
I am not one of those.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:19 AM

11,449 posts, read 13,920,622 times
There still is the missing link. How did those who wrote the bible receive their instructions from god? Specifics (not poetics) would provide clarity.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:44 AM

10,946 posts, read 7,981,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_2828 View Post
And to me you sound like someone who does not understand spiritual things.
We all have our burdens to carry. If you consider hearing voices that no one else can hear, having words mean something totally different things to you and all others, taking on faith the fictions that others teach us, you may be right. Or might need the room next to his.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality