U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2009, 07:08 PM

2,058 posts, read 4,323,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
You can only believe the Bible is a Book of mythology, if you are willing to ignore a warehouse of evidence that would suggest those Biblical accounts are true. And people do this all the time. The Bible is not like other books of mythology, because historical discovery continues to show us, that numerous accounts found in the Bible are true. Yet what I see, is an on going attempt by some to ignore or dismiss such evidence. And when you point out such evidence to them, they will say. "Well ok, maybe that story is true, but all the other stories are not." Ect. ect. ect. Every new historical discovery just keeps revealing the truth of the Bible. And if that is a false statement, please, can you show me where I am in error?
You fail to understand that discoveries of ancient biblical artifacts, writings, etc., prove absolutely nothing about the absolute existance of God. Such findings may prove the Bible was actually written, by real men during ancient bible times, but nothing more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 07:26 AM

7,654 posts, read 9,692,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
You fail to understand that discoveries of ancient biblical artifacts, writings, etc., prove absolutely nothing about the absolute existance of God. Such findings may prove the Bible was actually written, by real men during ancient bible times, but nothing more.
The point I am trying to make is. If the Bible is being shown to be a Book that is both factual and truthful, why would you assume it is a Book of false information? If even the small details of the Bible are true, why would you doubt the rest of it?

Old 02-21-2009, 08:00 AM

Quote:
The point I am trying to make is. If the Bible is being shown to be a Book that is both factual and truthful, why would you assume it is a Book of false information? If even the small details of the Bible are true, why would you doubt the rest of it?
First of all, the Bible has not be definitively proven to be factual nor truthful. Many events in the Bible are questioned today, as they have always been. For every religious scholar, anthropologist, or researcher who makes claims valididating the truth of the Bible, there are an equal amount of scientists, religious scholars and the like, who can make equally valid arguments against such claims.

Secondly, as pointed out in the original post: How can the bible even have the slightest untruth and still be the word of God...If God is perfect? It is a contridiction, as well as an insult to attribute the authorship of an imperfect, questionable religious book to God. How is it possible for imperfect words (The bible) to come out of the mouth of a perfect God?

Old 02-21-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
First of all, the Bible has not be definitively proven to be factual nor truthful. Many events in the Bible are questioned today, as they have always been. For every religious scholar, anthropologist, or researcher who makes claims valididating the truth of the Bible, there are an equal amount of scientists, religious scholars and the like, who can make equally valid arguments against such claims.

Secondly, as pointed out in the original post: How can the bible even have the slightest untruth and still be the word of God...If God is perfect? It is a contridiction, as well as an insult to attribute the authorship of an imperfect, questionable religious book to God. How is it possible for imperfect words (The bible) to come out of the mouth of a perfect God?
Well of course men question the Bible, yet every discovery of a historical nature only confirms it. And what Biblical untruth are you speaking of? Mans lack of faith in the Bible has little to do with Biblical truth. The non believers in the Bible make their claims, yet their claims are not based on solid evidence, but assumptions that are only supported by their lack of faith. It is historical discovery that reveals Biblical accuracy. And it is mans lack of faith that leads the way in mans error. Their lack of faith is not a contridiction that we find in the Scriptures. And it is the non believers faith that is imperfect, and not the Bible. Can you show me what valid claim reveals the error of the Bible?

Old 02-21-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Can you show me what valid claim reveals the error of the Bible?
Read for yourself: A List Of Biblical Contradictions

Old 02-21-2009, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Oh please, here we go again. Everytime I ask for a countradiction, you guys giving me a list of countradictions that a 10 year old could refute. It's pretty obvious, you yourself could not present a real countradiction, because I doubt that you have ever looked for one yourself. So you present to me a list from you local athiest web site. You guys sure are impressed with these bogus lists. Care to give me one you have actually researched? Because I can tell you right now, those lists are not worth the paper they are printed on. Yet because they are so long, I think those list really impress you guys. LOL

Old 02-21-2009, 01:32 PM

12,172 posts, read 15,053,194 times
The only facts you are getting is the writer's point of reference. He refers to his surroundings as that is all he knows. Does he speak of important advances, like air travel or lunar landings? No because he doesn't know the future.

Old 02-21-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Oh please, here we go again. Everytime I ask for a countradiction, you guys giving me a list of countradictions that a 10 year old could refute. It's pretty obvious, you yourself could not present a real countradiction, because I doubt that you have ever looked for one yourself. So you present to me a list from you local athiest web site. You guys sure are impressed with these bogus lists. Care to give me one you have actually researched? Because I can tell you right now, those lists are not worth the paper they are printed on. Yet because they are so long, I think those list really impress you guys. LOL
They are "real" contradictions. If you become so enraged and are not open minded enough to read a list of valid contridictions from people, who question the Bible; then why should I or anyone else waste time providing you with any additional contradictions? You won't accept them either.

The Bible is full of contadictions, but only people with "open minds" can "see" them.

Old 02-21-2009, 02:02 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,265,150 times
I felt this was topical and I am posting it for those who wish to read it. I'm not going to debate the merits of the argument, but just wanted to provide a different response to the question "Is the Bible God's Word".

Warning: This link is to an apologetic website, because it is answering a question regarding the validity of the authorship of the bible. If you think that makes the response biased, then don't read it.

Old 02-21-2009, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
The only facts you are getting is the writer's point of reference. He refers to his surroundings as that is all he knows. Does he speak of important advances, like air travel or lunar landings? No because he doesn't know the future.
The Bible does speak of advanced knowledge and of events that would occur in the future. It speaks of a time when nations would be able to destroy other nations in one hours time. Such a thing was not even thought possible 70 years ago. The Bible also refers to an asteroid that would strike the sea and sink a third of the ships, and a third of the marine life in that sea. Asteroids were not discovered for another 1700 years after the Bible was written. How could the writers of the Bible of known about such things?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality