U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 09:40 AM

10,946 posts, read 7,991,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by servanttoservants View Post
Hi, all. My view is this: an athiest should argue that there is no God. That says it all. I respect that, as it is a view of a man/woman. I don't believe that the current argument is worth the effort, however ... What should be considered is that different Scribes copied the bible from Greek which was copied by other Scribes from another language which was copied from yet another, etc.. Scribes are not perfect, just as none of us are. If you read the bible and are looking for a truth, focus on the words of Jesus as that is the point of it all. Even if you believe everything else is wrong, entirely made up or contradictory, if a man expresses the view that we should love one another, how is that bad ? What is bad about living according to the 10 commandments ? A guy asked Jesus "what do I have to do to get to heaven ?" Jesus told him to obey the commandments. Please re-read your bible with all of this in mind and at least consider what I am saying. I'm not perfect and don't want to seem like I think I know it all but I don't think it's a bad approach, at least for starters. Also, if you don't believe but at some point in your life find yourself in trouble you don't think you can handle, call on God. It will make all the difference to your soul. Thanks . God Bless You.
And has it occurred to you that this jesus actually set nothing down in writing? You error laden scribes wrote down what was supposedly said, translations occurred, editting occurred and if there was a truth, it was lost.

Just using your own arguement style.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 11:28 AM

37,615 posts, read 25,307,232 times
Jesus is the Word of God, period. The bible is inspired recordings that are USEFUL for spiritual edification (instruction, etc.) and learning about Jesus. But the TRUE NATURE of God is exemplified in Jesus's life, teaching, actions, and death. Jesus is also available to ALL humankind through the Holy Spirit to aid us in understanding the instruction in scripture, guide us in our daily lives, and lead us to "love of God and each other." His rebirth as Spirit made the connection to God permanent for ALL humankind . . . that is why there is no other Way to God. Use Jesus as the filter when reading the "instructions" in the bible and you will avoid the errors and misunderstanding of God's nature and unconditional love for us all. These fallacious errors were inserted by our primitive ancestors in their ignorance, human failings, political motivations, mistransalations, deliberate alterations and use of negative human emotions to distort the descriptions of God Jesus came to correct.

Old 05-02-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Jesus is the Word of God, period. The bible is inspired recordings that are USEFUL for spiritual edification (instruction, etc.) and learning about Jesus. But the TRUE NATURE of God is exemplified in Jesus's life, teaching, actions, and death. Jesus is also available to ALL humankind through the Holy Spirit to aid us in understanding the instruction in scripture, guide us in our daily lives, and lead us to "love of God and each other." His rebirth as Spirit made the connection to God permanent for ALL humankind . . . that is why there is no other Way to God. Use Jesus as the filter when reading the "instructions" in the bible and you will avoid the errors and misunderstanding of God's nature and unconditional love for us all. These fallacious errors were inserted by our primitive ancestors in their ignorance, human failings, political motivations, mistransalations, deliberate alterations and use of negative human emotions to distort the descriptions of God Jesus came to correct.
I'm confused. Jesus is the word of god, jesus is the son of god, jesus is god, jesus is a teacher, god created us (apparently lacking knowledge of our creator), jesus died for us but as god knew he would not really die (some sacrifice!). jesus/god loves us until we do something he doesn't like then he punishes us for eternity.

As I said, I'm confused. Which god is true and loving?

Old 05-02-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predos View Post
I'm confused. Jesus is the word of god, jesus is the son of god, jesus is god, jesus is a teacher, god created us (apparently lacking knowledge of our creator), jesus died for us but as god knew he would not really die (some sacrifice!). jesus/god loves us until we do something he doesn't like then he punishes us for eternity.
All new borns lack knowledge and must be educated . . . why would a species be any different?Jesus died "because of" our sins and sinful nature. Men scourged and crucified Him . . . NOT God. There are consequences for failure . . . not punishment . . . which God wants us to avoid (like any parent would). Life is filled with negative consequences for our failings . . why should death be any different?

Old 05-02-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
All new borns lack knowledge and must be educated . . . why would a species be any different?Jesus died "because of" our sins and sinful nature. Men scourged and crucified Him . . . NOT God. There are consequences for failure . . . not punishment . . . which God wants us to avoid (like any parent would). Life is filled with negative consequences for our failings . . why should death be any different?
Can you say avoidence? Of the original statement at the very least. Also trying to steer the conversation away from the questions I raised. You addressed none of them in your "reply". Now why would that be? Take more time than you have to manufacture what you consider to be an answer?

Much easier to change the subject, I guess.

Old 05-02-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Can you say avoidence? Of the original statement at the very least. Also trying to steer the conversation away from the questions I raised. You addressed none of them in your "reply". Now why would that be? Take more time than you have to manufacture what you consider to be an answer?
Can you say reading comprehension? ALL your questions were answered. God is loving and does NOT punish. Jesus is the example of the TRUE NATURE of God . . . not the primitive descriptions of Yahweh. Jesus was not a sacrifice to God . . . he was a victim of our sins allowed by God to reveal his true "non-smiting" nature. His death and rebirth as Spirit provided the spiritual connection to God for ALL humankind.

Old 05-02-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Can you say reading comprehension? ALL your questions were answered. God is loving and does NOT punish. Jesus is the example of the TRUE NATURE of God . . . not the primitive descriptions of Yahweh. Jesus was not a sacrifice to God . . . he was a victim of our sins allowed by God to reveal his true "non-smiting" nature. His death and rebirth as Spirit provided the spiritual connection to God for ALL humankind.
So being cast into hell is not punishment?

You also fail to address whether jesus is or is not god. Also, what kind of victim was he, knowing that nothing in truth would happen to him? Why is, according to you types, mankind required to always try to live up to the will of this god? If he were who you say, he would not care how man lives and would not need forgiveness being as how he is acting on the nature this god gave him.

And you STILL have not answered the original questions. What else can I expect from one who worships inconsistanties?

Old 05-02-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
So being cast into hell is not punishment?
Stepping off a 12 story building in violation of God's law of gravity results in a negative outcome . . . is it punishment?
Quote:
You also fail to address whether jesus is or is not god.
Jesus has the identical consciousness as God . . . you tell me.
Quote:
Also, what kind of victim was he, knowing that nothing in truth would happen to him?
Did you see the Passion of Christ? I suppose you wouldn't consider yourself a victim if you were scourged and crucified?
Quote:
Why is, according to you types, mankind required to always try to live up to the will of this god?
Why do we have to OBEY God's "laws of nature"?
Quote:
If he were who you say, he would not care how man lives and would not need forgiveness being as how he is acting on the nature this god gave him.
Because God is who we say. We are learning and maturing all our lives. God is unconditional love and definitely CARES whether we successfully mature or not and avoid the negative consequences . . . both in life and in death.
Quote:
And you STILL have not answered the original questions. What else can I expect from one who worships inconsistanties?
Perhaps I missed the inconsistencies. Care to repeat them . . . this is a long thread.

Old 05-02-2009, 03:03 PM

7,654 posts, read 9,686,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
How could the Bible be the word of God if it is filled with contridictions, unanswered and unexplained questions, unverifiable events, questionable characters and many, many other flaws?

If the the Bible is the Word of God and the Word of God is the mind of God, as Christians believe...then... God has a confused mind, full of contridiction.

How could this be?
Most of the confusion comes from those who read the Bible, not the other way around. And we know the Bible is the Word of God, because it is the only Book in the universe that speaks of history before it happens. Only the true God knows the future, and the Bible is filled with stories about the future to come. And we have evidence of the Bibles advanced knowledge. Also, historical discovery continues to show us the Bible has been speaking the truth all along.

Old 05-02-2009, 03:04 PM

7,654 posts, read 9,686,089 times
Quote:
And has it occurred to you that this jesus actually set nothing down in writing? You error laden scribes wrote down what was supposedly said, translations occurred, editting occurred and if there was a truth, it was lost.

Just using your own arguement style.
If the Bibles truth was lost, why are the Bibles prophecies true?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality