Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2009, 11:53 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,068,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
This is better than reading the funny paper. Jesus isn't anybody other than a man who lived a long time ago, so why would I care?

Ultimately your salvation depends on what you do with the person of Christ. It's up to you. I can't make you believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 11:57 AM

1,986 posts, read 4,066,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Ultimately your salvation depends on what you do with the person of Christ. It's up to you. I can't make you believe.
Prove it.

I'm not worried. You think Jesus is any more than a man? He walked the earth, just as I do. He died, just as I will. Jesus is not going to help you or anyone else in the end.

Old 02-05-2009, 11:59 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,554,399 times
Quote:
You may believe in some deity, but if it's not the God of the Bible you're believing in an idol. If you're true to whatever faith/religion you believe in you'll agree that we cannot possibly agree on the nature of God.
So, are you placing limits on your god to be only that which is in your bible? I thought your god was limitless.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Prove it.

I'm not worried. You think Jesus is any more than a man? He walked the earth, just as I do. He died, just as I will. Jesus is not going to help you or anyone else in the end.
Not my job. I'll proclaim the message...it's up to you to decide what to do with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predos View Post
So, are you placing limits on your god to be only that which is in your bible? I thought your god was limitless.

He's already declared who he is.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Not my job. I'll proclaim the message...it's up to you to decide what to do with it.
That's the chicken way out.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:10 PM

kdbrich, why do you say things you can't defend? You can't prove? You hide behind that bible and don't have anything to stand on.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:10 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,019,649 times
Quote:
You may believe in some deity, but if it's not the God of the Bible you're believing in an idol. If you're true to whatever faith/religion you believe in you'll agree that we cannot possibly agree on the nature of God.
Total nonsense, the Christian "God" is an man made ideal which bears no relation to any type of reality. Some of the things this "loving God" did in the old testiment make the holocaust look like a walk in a park. If there are any "idols" it is the Christian God.

There can only be one true creator of the universe and we will really know, guess what, when we are DEAD, perhaps, so stop thinking you know otherwise, get on with living.

The so called qualities that Christians believe make them superior than everybody else and gives them the ticket to "heaven" are qualities that anybody of any religion creed or race can share worldwide and yet you fools really that that unless they "accept Jesus as saviour" then they will all rot in hell.

It is already clear many Christians accept they do in fact sin because everybody is imperfect, but they think they can just "pray to jesus", "beg to jesus for forgiveness" and the effects of what they did won't matter any more. Complete illogical crap.

So called "sins" should not be used to shame or demorilize people anyhow since clearly we are not meant to be perfect, spiritual development is a process of refining the spirit through learning and yes, MAKING mistakes, so live life and naturally don't force yourself to pretend to be some pseudo-righteous faker so you can say how proud you are to be a "Christian" and live a double standard. Mistakes are for learning oh and there is no "failure", just feedback, and whatever your religion is, remember no failure exists unless it's a failure to keep learning.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:17 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,355,904 times
The belief in the bible as a divine document written by god, and the belief the bible is nothing more than the political ramblings of religious despots, forms a classic bell curve. I read several posts, which can only see god's hands in the pot; I read others who see manipulative leaders just adding another layer of control over the masses. Than I see a larger segment of people who really just don’t have the time or desire to ponder the question.
As for me, I recognize the bible is filled with contractions, cruelty, killings, rapes, slavery, mythical stories, and tales of people who likely did not exist. I use logic to make the only rational decision I can, it was written by man to help control the people, just another tool of the political system.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
kdbrich, why do you say things you can't defend? You can't prove? You hide behind that bible and don't have anything to stand on.
I'm pretty confident that if an angel of God were to stand in front of you and proclaim it to be true you'd still find a reason not to believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardW View Post
Total nonsense, the Christian "God" is an man made ideal which bears no relation to any type of reality. Some of the things this "loving God" did in the old testiment make the holocaust look like a walk in a park. If there are any "idols" it is the Christian God.

You aren't God, and you don't have the right to judge him.

Quote:
There can only be one true creator of the universe and we will really know, guess what, when we are DEAD, perhaps, so stop thinking you know otherwise, get on with living.

I already know. I'm telling you. You can choose to look at the evidence, or you can rebel. I can't control what you do.
Quote:

The so called qualities that Christians believe make them superior than everybody else and gives them the ticket to "heaven" are qualities that anybody of any religion creed or race can share worldwide and yet you fools really that that unless they "accept Jesus as saviour" then they will all rot in hell.

The ONLY thing that qualifies me for entrance into Heaven is my faith in Christ. Are you suggesting that's what every other religion believes?

Quote:
It is already clear many Christians accept they do in fact sin because everybody is imperfect, but they think they can just "pray to jesus", "beg to jesus for forgiveness" and the effects of what they did won't matter any more. Complete illogical crap.

Actually, it's very logical. God promised it to Abraham in the OT that his faith made him righteous. David, a horrible sinner, was called a "man after God's heart"...not for what he did, but because of his faith.

It's faith in the Messiah that paid the penalty for our sins. Without Jesus we have to pay that penalty ourselves.

Quote:

So called "sins" should not be used to shame or demorilize people anyhow since clearly we are not meant to be perfect, spiritual development is a process of refining the spirit through learning and yes, MAKING mistakes, so live life and naturally don't force yourself to pretend to be some pseudo-righteous faker so you can say how proud you are to be a "Christian" and live a double standard. Mistakes are for learning oh and there is no "failure", just feedback, and whatever your religion is, remember no failure exists unless it's a failure to keep learning.
Whatever helps you sleep at night. It's up to you where you're going.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:18 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,351,129 times
Quote:
Prove it.

Prove it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality