Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2009, 06:37 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,351,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
Easy, There is no proof to the contrary.
Just as you have no proof. You're wrong, I'm right. Period. Sorry, maybe next time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 06:59 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,087,283 times
Default Not

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennaflorrie View Post
The Bible is the word of God - without a shadow of a dobut. There is nothing in that book that can be disproved. Those that have tried - and there have been many - have failed, and some have even become so convinced that they have become christians themselves! There is a book around - called "Who moved the Stone" - read it - the guy who wrote it was anti God and thourght the same as you, but when he did his diligent research and really looked into it, he realised how accurate the Bible is. The dates, times, places - the names of Kings and Leaders - they are accurate! Archaeologists have USED the Bible - to find lost cities that were already mentioned in the Bible! Nothing in it can be disproved - on the contrary - it is proven time and time again.

There are prophecies in the Old Testament relating to the New - Jesus Christ - the place of his birth - the era. The death of Jesus and the manner of his execution - in the Old Testamnent. I have read the Bible through from cover to cover - it is not pretty - No - but it is real - real characters - people who messed up, people who failed - people who found God when they sought for him.

So you can trust the Bible. God gave us a handbook for life - and the Bible is IT. Read it with an open heart - pray and ask God to speak through this Living Word - to speak to you!
The Bible IS NOT The Complete and Final Word of God. .. It never was and was never ever meant to be.

It was meant to be a verified guide for early Christians. That is all.

Funny , but if it is the "word of God" (As voted by the Council of Nicea in 325) I wonder what the "word of God" Was before it was written? Jesus spoke of Scripture, but that would have refereed to the Torah and Jewish scriptures (I guess those are NOT the WRod of God)
Most stories of Jesus were passed around by illiterates using the oral tradition (Uh, where did Jesus ever command anyone to write naything down?" ) Many of the early followers would have been, local, poorer jewish followers, who would have worhipped in a synogauge but held to some of Jesus' more radical ideas (Radical for the time, not for now)
Over the years, a few of the legends and stories were pinned by various followers. Some of these were included into the Bible. WHen the Bible was being formed, it was NOT to determine the word of God, but to fulfill a commision by Emperor Constantine, simply to give Roamn Citizns (Who, unlike their Jewish brethren, were Literate)
One characteristic we m,ust remember is that Romans liked consistancy, they liked to share information and all read the same things. SO the formation of the Bible was NOT about what was or was not the Word of God so much as which of the maybe 40 or 50 versions of the Gospel of Mark floating around is the most "authentic" one
That was all...a way of verifying what writings could be verified as being authentic and which had, because of the long oral tradition, been changed.

The Bible is fulll of Gaps, full of Contridicitons and above all else, just full of errors. IF a God wrote this, then such God is in Error. (Did God Not know better when He wrote it?)
And do we need a god or his book which are full of errors?

Old 02-05-2009, 07:07 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_2828 View Post
And to me you sound like someone who does not understand spiritual things.
Being religious does not necessarily mean spiritual. I think gullible is a better description.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:16 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,792,815 times
It is truly amazing to see all the anger and rage demonstrated by some folks against a god they don't even believe in.
It is truly amazing to see all the effort being exerted to disprove a book by some folks who admit they don't believe it.
It is truly amazing to see all the "absolute" statements regarding said god and book by folks whose philosophical viewpoint does not acknowledge or accept absolutes.

As far as "proving it" or "convincing" anyone who adamantly denies god and the bible .. it'll never happen. No matter what explanation or rationale or logical argument is made towards folks described above, they won't accept it anyway. So what's the point? To get into verbal confrontations with them? Not worth the effort.

I've said all that needs to be said . Time to shake the dust from my shoes and move on.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:25 PM

33,538 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
It is truly amazing to see all the anger and rage demonstrated by some folks against a god they don't even believe in.
It is truly amazing to see all the effort being exerted to disprove a book by some folks who admit they don't believe it.
It is truly amazing to see all the "absolute" statements regarding said god and book by folks whose philosophical viewpoint does not acknowledge or accept absolutes.

As far as "proving it" or "convincing" anyone who adamantly denies god and the bible .. it'll never happen. No matter what explanation or rationale or logical argument is made towards folks described above, they won't accept it anyway. So what's the point? To get into verbal confrontations with them? Not worth the effort.

I've said all that needs to be said . Time to shake the dust from my shoes and move on.
What anger and rage????...Looks more like disagreement to me.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:28 PM

140 posts, read 205,060 times
It is always a good practice to ask "prove it" -- make to exceptions too. You'll get into troubles when you just "believe" it without even questioning it first.

That is always true.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:07 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,351,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
What anger and rage????...Looks more like disagreement to me.
Sanspeur, I have found you to talk amicably about your beliefs and your disagreements with Christians. There are some here though that really are here just to be jerks, that seem to have a personal vendetta against God.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:51 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,066,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
Sanspeur, I have found you to talk amicably about your beliefs and your disagreements with Christians. There are some here though that really are here just to be jerks, that seem to have a personal vendetta against God.
I've heard it all now. You are equating yourself with God now are you??

You're right, there ARE indeed those here just to be jerks that have a personal vendetta against reason and fact. They claim ownership of something that isn't real or valid. I'm referring to the bible.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:53 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,066,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post

As far as "proving it" or "convincing" anyone who adamantly denies god and the bible ..
Denying the bible is a long, long way from denying God.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:59 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,304,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Being religious does not necessarily mean spiritual. I think gullible is a better description.
Who said anything about religious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality