U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-03-2016, 02:47 PM
 
11,026 posts, read 21,627,960 times
Reputation: 10669

Advertisements

Because whoever the dudes were that wrote the bible decided that they were going to make him 930 years old. It's easy to write down whatever you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-03-2016, 03:05 PM
 
Location: Northeastern US
14,070 posts, read 8,595,946 times
Reputation: 6007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
It had never rained before Noah, supposedly there was a sea in the atmosphere that fell, but before it fell, it pressurized the earth where people could live longer.
What does "pressurize the earth" mean and how would that change lifespans and why upward rather than downward?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2016, 07:38 PM
 
10,553 posts, read 4,168,447 times
Reputation: 1195
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I believe that there's a passage in the Bible that states that Adam and Eve were told that if they ate of the forbidden fruit that they would surely die and yet Adam is said to have lived to the ripe old age of nine hundred and thirty years. But Adam and Eve are supposed to have been the ones who committed the original sin and hosed it up for the rest of us. The story of Adam and Eve has never made any sense to me in the first place but I'm wondering why Adam was supposedly blessed with such an incredibly long life and those of us who exist today who didn't have anything to do with any unauthorized eating of forbidden fruit are lucky to live until we're in our mid-seventies. Any thoughts?
adam didnt live that long. Its a look into the brain that thinks he did tho.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2016, 09:43 PM
 
4,583 posts, read 6,166,099 times
Reputation: 5233
So lifespan decreased but now due to medicine it's increasing. Is that a sin? Once upon a time age 55 was out to pasture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2016, 04:51 AM
 
2,760 posts, read 859,640 times
Reputation: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
Adam and Eve did die spiritually after eating the fruit. It just took longer for them to die physically than we do today.
Exactly what does that mean?

Did A&E go to heaven or hell after they died?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2016, 08:19 AM
 
10,553 posts, read 4,168,447 times
Reputation: 1195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
So lifespan decreased but now due to medicine it's increasing. Is that a sin? Once upon a time age 55 was out to pasture.
this is how the real world works.
So I would say its not a sin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2016, 08:24 AM
 
261 posts, read 111,608 times
Reputation: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I believe that there's a passage in the Bible that states that Adam and Eve were told that if they ate of the forbidden fruit that they would surely die and yet Adam is said to have lived to the ripe old age of nine hundred and thirty years. But Adam and Eve are supposed to have been the ones who committed the original sin and hosed it up for the rest of us. The story of Adam and Eve has never made any sense to me in the first place but I'm wondering why Adam was supposedly blessed with such an incredibly long life and those of us who exist today who didn't have anything to do with any unauthorized eating of forbidden fruit are lucky to live until we're in our mid-seventies. Any thoughts?
There is no evidence any of these people actually existed let alone reached those sort of ages. It seems impossible that anyone could actually live that long, especially in those far off days before modern medicine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2016, 09:26 AM
 
2,827 posts, read 1,761,997 times
Reputation: 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I believe that there's a passage in the Bible that states that Adam and Eve were told that if they ate of the forbidden fruit that they would surely die and yet Adam is said to have lived to the ripe old age of nine hundred and thirty years. But Adam and Eve are supposed to have been the ones who committed the original sin and hosed it up for the rest of us. The story of Adam and Eve has never made any sense to me in the first place but I'm wondering why Adam was supposedly blessed with such an incredibly long life and those of us who exist today who didn't have anything to do with any unauthorized eating of forbidden fruit are lucky to live until we're in our mid-seventies. Any thoughts?
Proof that people actually debating here don't read the Bible. It's right in the lead up to the story of Noah.

Genesis 6 NASB

Humans made out with angels, and this was decided to be sick and stuff, so God cut the lifespan of humans. That said, Noah himself outlived this date, dying at 800 or 900.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2016, 10:42 AM
 
Location: Booth Texas
13,394 posts, read 4,289,249 times
Reputation: 1303
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
What does "pressurize the earth" mean and how would that change lifespans and why upward rather than downward?


There has been a lot of studies on animals in a pressurized system and it always makes them live longer. I don't know why, and I don't know if that was the case, it's just my opinion when thinking of an Earth that had never rained, an earth pressurized with an ocean of water in it's atmosphere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2016, 03:04 PM
 
Location: Richardson, TX
8,692 posts, read 11,452,046 times
Reputation: 3685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
It had never rained before Noah, supposedly there was a sea in the atmosphere that fell, but before it fell, it pressurized the earth where people could live longer.
An ocean in the atmosphere. Fascinating. Have you calculated what the atmospheric pressure would be with that much water suspended in the atmosphere? With the PSI so high and temps driven so high just to maintain this vapor state, I am not sure anything would be living at all, much less, a little longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top