Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 01:29 AM

3,580 posts, read 6,304,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I believe that there's a passage in the Bible that states that Adam and Eve were told that if they ate of the forbidden fruit that they would surely die and yet Adam is said to have lived to the ripe old age of nine hundred and thirty years. But Adam and Eve are supposed to have been the ones who committed the original sin and hosed it up for the rest of us. The story of Adam and Eve has never made any sense to me in the first place but I'm wondering why Adam was supposedly blessed with such an incredibly long life and those of us who exist today who didn't have anything to do with any unauthorized eating of forbidden fruit are lucky to live until we're in our mid-seventies. Any thoughts?
The reason that Adam and others in their day lived so long was because SIN was just introduced to them. Adam and Eve were created to live forever, but they ate from the tree of life. God said that if they ate they would surely die. The death was not a sudden death, but a slow aging on the body that cause death. If you noticed before the flood people lived for a very long time. Adam lived for 930 years, Enosh 905 years, Cainan 910 years, and so on. But if you notice after the flood, the age dropped dramatically. SIN..is the reason men do not live as long today. Because of Adam and Eve, we were born in sin, so we inherited it. So, that is why we have to die, because of what they did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 01:35 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,940,223 times
I think it was in genesis 6 that god said that he will make man live up to 120 years old. Is that 120 or 120000? Because good health wont beat the aging proccess.

Old 02-05-2009, 02:53 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,398,233 times
Quote:
I believe that there's a passage in the Bible that states that Adam and Eve were told that if they ate of the forbidden fruit that they would surely die and yet Adam is said to have lived to the ripe old age of nine hundred and thirty years. But Adam and Eve are supposed to have been the ones who committed the original sin and hosed it up for the rest of us. The story of Adam and Eve has never made any sense to me in the first place but I'm wondering why Adam was supposedly blessed with such an incredibly long life and those of us who exist today who didn't have anything to do with any unauthorized eating of forbidden fruit are lucky to live until we're in our mid-seventies. Any thoughts?
This is actually an excellent point to show that the actual creative days were not literally a 24 hour day. There are places in the Bible in both the Hebrew Scriptures and Greek Scriptures which show that we are still living in that 7th day of God's rest. So the time frame of the said day is certainly longer than 24 hours. However, the point was that on this very day , Adam did in fact die spiritually on that very day which lead to the gradual aging process. There are other scriptures which of course would be pointless to site here, that show that a person can die spiritually and remain in a symbolic dead condition for as long as they remain separate from God's standards, principles and laws. They also show that it is possible to be revived as it were back to life. A true Christian becoming to a point of a bad or corrupted spiritual condition could be said to be soiritually dead even as Paul stated, and if no attempt is made to revive themselves, could at their physical death, be dead permanently with no hope of ressurection, just eternal death. Don't even go to the Hell thingy, as you already know my stance on that. Death is always opposite of life.

As far as your blame point, Adam and Eve could no longer pass on what they no longer were in possession of. It's like taking a cake mould and denting it with a hammer to put a major flaw in it. Every cake made thereafter with that mould would carry the same flaw, only as time goes on, moulds of later cakes could be made and further flaws indented on them would simply reproduce more flawed cake patterns with no resemblance over time to the original. Look at where mankind is today. Nothing ever improves. Things only continue to morph down hill.

You may not realize it, but your other threads where you posed questions , such as Satan's side of the story, etc, are all of them related to this one as well.

Never mind. Most Christians don't even get this as well. They believe it is all purposed and part of God's dimented plan for things to be this way. But you'll have to take that up with them.

Old 02-05-2009, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_2828 View Post
The reason that Adam and others in their day lived so long was because SIN was just introduced to them. Adam and Eve were created to live forever, but they ate from the tree of life. God said that if they ate they would surely die. The death was not a sudden death, but a slow aging on the body that cause death. If you noticed before the flood people lived for a very long time. Adam lived for 930 years, Enosh 905 years, Cainan 910 years, and so on. But if you notice after the flood, the age dropped dramatically. SIN..is the reason men do not live as long today. Because of Adam and Eve, we were born in sin, so we inherited it. So, that is why we have to die, because of what they did.
Actually I agree with what you explained here, but Adam and Eve actually ate from the "Tree of the Knowledge of good and Bad", not the "Tree of Life". You'll remember that they were thrown out of the garden and the Cherubs were posted at the entrance of the garden and a continual turning of a flaming sword guarded the tree to prevent access by them or any descendants.

Genisis 3:22-24 - "Young's Literal translation"
BibleGateway.com - Passage Lookup: Genisis 3:22-24;

Some scholars have assumed that this tree had miracluous herbal healing properties, however the Bible never says this anywhere. Rather it was symbolic of God's guarantee of everlasting life to the one who would be allowed to eat it's fruit. You might take note of what is mentioned here at

Revelation 2:7 - "The Amplified Bible"
BibleGateway.com: Search for a Bible passage in over 35 languages and 50 versions.

There is no doubt that if Adam and Eve had remained faithful and as a new intelligent free willed creation, had proved themselves to be integrity keepers, they would have been allowed to eat from that tree as a symbol of God's guarantee of everlasting and continued life on earth. It was never part of God's original purpose that humans die and go to heaven.

Interestingly , many also have not realized there were two trees in the Garden of Eden.

Old 02-05-2009, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post
I think it was in genesis 6 that god said that he will make man live up to 120 years old. Is that 120 or 120000? Because good health wont beat the aging proccess.
And everyone needs to realize this when it comes to all those miracle Herbal Health Remedy pyramid schemes.

Old 02-05-2009, 03:24 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Simple: God loved Adam but he hates you.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:42 AM

3,580 posts, read 6,304,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepacific View Post
Actually I agree with what you explained here, but Adam and Eve actually ate from the "Tree of the Knowledge of good and Bad", not the "Tree of Life". You'll remember that they were thrown out of the garden and the Cherubs were posted at the entrance of the garden and a continual turning of a flaming sword guarded the tree to prevent access by them or any descendants.

Genisis 3:22-24 - "Young's Literal translation"
BibleGateway.com - Passage Lookup: Genisis 3:22-24;

Some scholars have assumed that this tree had miracluous herbal healing properties, however the Bible never says this anywhere. Rather it was symbolic of God's guarantee of everlasting life to the one who would be allowed to eat it's fruit. You might take note of what is mentioned here at

Revelation 2:7 - "The Amplified Bible"
BibleGateway.com: Search for a Bible passage in over 35 languages and 50 versions.

There is no doubt that if Adam and Eve had remained faithful and as a new intelligent free willed creation, had proved themselves to be integrity keepers, they would have been allowed to eat from that tree as a symbol of God's guarantee of everlasting and continued life on earth. It was never part of God's original purpose that humans die and go to heaven.

Interestingly , many also have not realized there were two trees in the Garden of Eden.

Thanks for the correction, as I was reading back through the bible, I found it.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:50 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,520,736 times
Quote:
And everyone needs to realize this when it comes to all those miracle Herbal Health Remedy pyramid schemes.

... and how old are you?

Old 02-05-2009, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by effie briest View Post
... and how old are you?
Old enough to know not to believe all the hype on or in those television infomercials. Or for that matter any Health&Wealth MLM opportunity convention!!!

Last edited by bluepacific; 02-05-2009 at 08:19 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-05-2009, 08:04 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,520,736 times
Quote:
Old enough to know not to believe all the hyip on or in those television infomercials. Or for that matter any Health&Wealth MLM opportunity convention!!!

Boaahh, i must google the Elk these days, because i never spoke the right language..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality