Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 10:17 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,573,340 times

Advertisements

wizard1 wrote:
Quote:
It didnot rain on the earth till the day Noah went into the ark.
Mr. Wizard, I hate to say this but your whole theory is just preposterous. First of all if there was no rain until the time of Noah's imaginary ark that would mean that every single plant on the earth would have died because plants can't live without water and neither can animals for that matter. Of course if the plants all died then all of the animals would also have died because there'd be nothing to eat. Also, there's no scientific basis or reasoning to support your claims about radiation levels. Anyway, I see it's your first post so welcome to the forum even though I don't agree with a word you said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 10:01 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,287,682 times
Mr. Montana,

Imagine for a minute if there was only one woman in the world, and everything wrong with the world was clearly HER FAULT.

No "honey, you forgot to take out the trash",
no mother-in laws yada yada yada,
etc..etc...

How long you could live?

Old 02-26-2009, 10:37 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,423,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
Mr. Montana,

Imagine for a minute if there was only one woman in the world, and everything wrong with the world was clearly HER FAULT.

No "honey, you forgot to take out the trash",
no mother-in laws yada yada yada,
etc..etc...

How long you could live?
I don't know but I do know that my wife has one man in her world and everything that is wrong with it is clearly HIS FAULT.

Old 07-06-2013, 06:05 AM

1 posts, read 943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I believe that there's a passage in the Bible that states that Adam and Eve were told that if they ate of the forbidden fruit that they would surely die and yet Adam is said to have lived to the ripe old age of nine hundred and thirty years. But Adam and Eve are supposed to have been the ones who committed the original sin and hosed it up for the rest of us. The story of Adam and Eve has never made any sense to me in the first place but I'm wondering why Adam was supposedly blessed with such an incredibly long life and those of us who exist today who didn't have anything to do with any unauthorized eating of forbidden fruit are lucky to live until we're in our mid-seventies. Any thoughts?
Adam and Eve did die that day. Spiritually speaking, they did die when they ate of the fruit. Physically speaking, they did die within a day's time also. Why? The Scriptures tell us that a day is with God as a thousand years and a thousand years as one day. (II Peter 3: 8 and Psalms 90:4) Reasoning on these verses than, Adam and Eve and their descendent, for that matter, have not live one day to God. Your question as to why he had to live longer than we do is senseless to you. I feel the same way too, because since he and his wife were the originators of death they should have physically die the very minute they ate of the fruit. Wait a minute! Remembered? God's original purpose was for them to fill the earth with perfect offspring. Hence, If death had happened immediately to them, then you and I would not had been here today. I know you are wondering that, his original purpose to fill the earth with perfect creatures changed because of the adamic sin, hence undo everything and start anew. Besides, he's God Almighty, he's could undo everything and start at new. Why that is true, on the contrary, the question and doubt the Devil pose in the minds of the other angelic sons of God and made Eve to believe would not have been answered. (The Devil claim that Eve will not actually die, and that she will be just like God- the freedom of not been God's subject being equal to God and to govern herself successfully without God) To set that lie straight, God had to give it some time for the other angelic sons to see if Satan's claims were in fact true. Thousands of years have gone by with different form of man's rulership/government and governance. The results proved futile. The result? Man die and is unable to rule himself successfully independent from God just as Jeremiah 10:23 indicates that it does not belong to man to direct his step. Another reason while our edenic parents live longer than us is that originally, they were created perfect with the prospect of eternal life in view. Hence they were closer to perfection and living forever than you and I. Additionally, comparing 930 years to eternal life is like a grain of sand on the beach. Even though we die because of their mistake, God's original purpose of eternal life and for perfect human to fill the earth has not changed. Perfect humans will fill the earth through the second Adam, Jesus Christ. Psalms 37: 9 -11 tells us that for the meek to possess the EARTH and have an exquisite delight in the abundance of peace the evildoers will have to be cut off first. Jesus also proved this point on many occasions when he preached of God's Kingdom(form of government rule by a king- Monarchy) to come on earth just as it is in heaven, and that the Meek shall or mild-tempered ones will inherit the EARTH. (Matthew 6:9-10 and Matthew 5:5) So you see, even though Adam and Eve live longer then you and I will, but they do not have the prospect you and I have, that is living forever on EARTH, under God's kingdom with Jesus, the second Adam, replacing the first Adam serving as king of God's kingdom. So, when I look at it from that prospective, I do not feel too bad that he lived to be 930 years at all. Shouldn't We grab hold of the opportunity of the ransom and live way more of 930 years?

Last edited by lbhorace; 07-06-2013 at 06:20 AM..

Old 07-06-2013, 08:32 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,353,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis 1:28
Be fruitful , and multiply , and replenish the earth, and subdue it.
Supposedly, Adam and Eve were the first man and woman, and yet we have this curious statement. Replenish means the Earth was formerly populated, and then depopulated. And is going to be refilled again.

So, maybe we have something else going on here, some inferior first species. God made a species that lived 900 years, and before that a species that lived about 50-120, which had little time and tried to "live like they were dying" doing pretty extreme stuff, since they wanted to make the most of it while they were on the Earth (but this same zeal for life makes a mess of things, and depleted the environment). So we have a new race to try to give these people time to reflect on their mistakes. Unfortunately, rather than being plentiful, and overpopulating the lesser humans, they mated like crazy with those types. (900+120+120+120+120+120... enough times, and average, and it's pretty much the same number).

Hence, you have why there were other people around besides those mentioned as Adam's line. You also have the reason Hebrews often don't mix with other people, they're defending their line from further dilution.

Old 07-07-2013, 11:11 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,663,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
Adam and Eve did die spiritually after eating the fruit. It just took longer for them to die physically than we do today.

One possible reason they had long life spans was in order to have many children. It's also my opinion that the effects of age were probably slower then than now. For example, Adam at 300 was probably more like us at 30. There were many long life spans recorded in the bible up until the time of Noah.

Now, some folks say God limited mankind to 120 yrs of life at that point. I happen to think he gave Noah 120 yrs to complete the ark. It's not worth bickering over and I'm not dogmatic about it. However, the life spans drop off steeply after Noah's flood.

My personal belief is a combination of changes in the earth's environment following the global flood and degredation of genetic information over time. Both of those reasons of course are ultimately the result of sin. Not just simply Adam & Eve's sin, but the sin committed by everyone after them. It's an accumulated effect.

We're all responsible for our own behavior and can't blame our sin on ancient ancestors. They may be the reason sin entered the creation in the first place, but mankind is plenty capable of sinning all on their own.
Oh my!! Not someone else who actually believes in a global flood. I thought we had grown past that fairly tale.
Its amazing the silly answers that were received.
1. Adam and Eve didn't have ancestors to inherit bad genes.Nor did they have ancestors to inherit immunity to diseases.
2. Adam and Eve had a cleaner environment Nor did they have access to health care as we do today.
3. Adam and Eve had to produce many childrenNow this one seems plausible. And besides, this would be a big benefit for eating that apple.

Old 07-09-2013, 06:46 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,217,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
Supposedly, Adam and Eve were the first man and woman, and yet we have this curious statement. Replenish means the Earth was formerly populated, and then depopulated. And is going to be refilled again.

So, maybe we have something else going on here, some inferior first species. God made a species that lived 900 years, and before that a species that lived about 50-120, which had little time and tried to "live like they were dying" doing pretty extreme stuff, since they wanted to make the most of it while they were on the Earth (but this same zeal for life makes a mess of things, and depleted the environment). So we have a new race to try to give these people time to reflect on their mistakes. Unfortunately, rather than being plentiful, and overpopulating the lesser humans, they mated like crazy with those types. (900+120+120+120+120+120... enough times, and average, and it's pretty much the same number).

Hence, you have why there were other people around besides those mentioned as Adam's line. You also have the reason Hebrews often don't mix with other people, they're defending their line from further dilution.
Boy, you guys sure come up with some crazy stuff.
Genesis 1:28

New King James Version (NKJV)

28 Then God blessed them, and God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply; fill the earth and subdue it; have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over every living thing that moves on the earth.”

Since Adam and Eve were created as mortal beings, they were told by god to be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth. Of course they would replenish the earth by reproducing, to keep the human race going long after they were gone. Why would god have told immortal beings to be fruitful and multiply? There would be no room left on earth if every person ever born was still alive today.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:01 PM

The interpretation that makes the most sense based on how the scripture actually reads, is how the Jews interpret it (it is their original scripture after all, so I would think they would know best what it means).

What Jews Believe: Essay #5: No Original Sin

Old 07-09-2013, 09:57 PM

794 posts, read 1,401,884 times
Because you're real?

Old 07-15-2013, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythunderstood View Post
The interpretation that makes the most sense based on how the scripture actually reads, is how the Jews interpret it (it is their original scripture after all, so I would think they would know best what it means).

What Jews Believe: Essay #5: No Original Sin

No original sin= no need for a savior
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality