U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 10:59 AM

21,454 posts, read 29,715,248 times

Advertisements

I do believe we need a Savior to save us from hell (we can't save ourselves). That is not the only reason I need God. He is faithful, He is always there just He promised, He loves me, Jesus said He gives us a peace the world cannot give. I have His peace. Things do not last, but God's love is forever. In an changing world, I can trust His unchanging love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 11:06 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,021,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
1. You don't need bold print. We can read regular font easily enough.

2. It's not a myth, it has not been disproven, and the Bible is clear that there is such a thing.

3. If you sleep better at night denying the existence of hell...good for you. I can deny the law of gravity all I want but it won't change anything if I do a swan dive off of a 40 floor building.
Gravity can't be denied. The existence of god can be denied, because there are no visible consequences. All is a promise (or threats, if you prefer) of what will someday (supposedly) happen.
God represents the Status Quo, is against progress and change. Therefore, we don't need a god. God's primary reason for existing is to scrutinize, restrict, and punish sexual behavior.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:20 AM

2,616 posts, read 3,942,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Last time I checked, Gravity was a scientifically provable theory. Gravity is real. Hell, not so much.

Hell was not It never has been proven. If it exists (in/of the earth) like some Biblical myths state, then where is it?
Hell is not a real place, only a myth.
Proof again? none scientific to prove hell, but evolutionary mythology disproves it (as much as a negative can be proven, which again is not ever fully)

BUT The concept of it was traceable, evolvable.
We see writings in the Egyptian and even in the Greek Mythology which speak of an underworld, (Hence, it physically resides beneath our feet, which is scientifically impossible) Also we know of the contributions of Egyptian mythology to Christian mythos and the influences of Roman ideals We also trace and show an obsession with hell evolving more in the early dark ages, but again a creation of man not of god or gods.

I would ask again, why do we needa god that even creates hell, why would we need a god like that ?
BTW what is Gravity? You think it is so scientific, than what is it? We can measure it but I don't know any scientist who knows what it exactly is?

Old 02-06-2009, 11:30 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,178 posts, read 6,186,257 times
Large King...After you are on the forum for a while you will find that all arguements or discussions with Fundamentalist Christians ends with: "Because the Bible says so". You will be banging your head against a wall if you try to bring logic or science into the mix.

But to answer your first question...I think "God" has always been a part of human existence because humans are basically afraid of injury, death, etc. Earliest man, and even into OT times an on, men did not understand the world around them, they had no clue what the Universe was, let alone our own planet or the sun or anything else. They used God and their stories and myths to explain what they did not and could not comprehend. With a God to "protect" them they felt safer and with a "Heaven" to be there when they die they do not need to fear death. The Hell part was simply the opposite of Heaven. "Behave, do what you are told, obey God or you will go to Hell". Christians really shoved the Hell myth into the picture as a control mechanism.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
BTW what is Gravity? You think it is so scientific, than what is it? We can measure it but I don't know any scientist who knows what it exactly is?
The presence of gravity cannot be denied. It's obvious. God is not.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:43 AM

Human don't need religion. Religion is any practice that is done over and over for the sake of doing it. Like, I religiously shave or I religiously go to church. We don't need religion (however going to a bible believing church is good).

God on the other hand we do need. I used to be without him and I could not make it on my own (appart from eternal salvation). I am refering to the God of Abraham, Issac and Jacob, the God of the Jews and the God of the Christians (Allah is not God). This God is found in three persons: God the Father, God the Son (Jesus Christ) and the Holy Spirit. We need God, not for religious reasons or to do stuff for us, or to help us understand the world around us (like as a symbol), but to be our friend and father. God is a person and each human needs to have a personal relationship with him. He is not an imaginary person we pray to, but an actual person. He is creator.

Why do we need him? God is infinite in wisdom so he can grant us wisdom. He says as many as ask, he will give wisdom. God is a present help in time of need. Many people call upon the name of God when they get in trouble and he helps many people. I am one who calls upon him all the time and he is always there to listen and help. He has protected me from harm, distruction, loosing jobs, finding work when none was available. God is a comforter. It says that one day he will wipe away all tears, but I have found that while I am with him daily the things around me don't affect me as much. Fear is gone and peace is my portion. Even when close family members have died, I feel the sadness slip away in his presence to be replaced with joy. God IS our peace. I cannot reiterate this enough with him I am at total peace. God IS our joy. The world attempts to make us "happy" but happiness is fleeting. I buy a car I am happy. The car gets a dent I am un-happy. God's joy supperceeds the immediate. I loose a loved one, yet I have joy (I still feel the sadness but the joy underlies it all). God helps me more than is imaginable. He helps me study the right things to get the grade, he helps me know things that I cannot physically know, he helps me find deals when no one else can, he helps me to live a righteous life.

It is written: In him we live and move and have our being. I am one who realizes how I am made and how life works. Those who reject him are those who prefer to do things their own way and reject the truth. Like Neo, I see the numbers streaming, those who reject God just see the girls and eat the steak! (Remember the Movie?).

In fact without God we cannot do anything!

Old 02-06-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
I know there is something that is called gravity that pulls me down to the earth when I fall. There is a force? thing? strings? don't know. But there is also a force that draws me to God.

Does he exist? Yes, I cannot deny him. He has talked to me. I have even gone to heaven.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:50 AM

4,669 posts, read 3,946,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post

Cause and effect is obvious. Unless something creates itself, it was caused.

Now...how did this universe cause itself again?

Old 02-06-2009, 02:11 PM
BST

451 posts, read 1,026,084 times
I suppose one could go through life without faith and still survive the rocky times. If that's your bent, then you're probably convinced you don't need a god. No amount of rhetoric will change your mind.

To an atheist, I imagine discussing the merits of God are on the same plane of discussing the characters in a soap opera or WWE (psst...dude, don't you know it's all fake?)

To some, people in religious organizations by many names have perpetrated heinous acts under the name of God. That's not to be denied. And since you're known by the company you keep, I wish those perpetrators would have picked a different deity than mine. It's awfully confusing to say "God loves you" while some of His children practice so much hate.

To that end...try not to confuse God with people. There are some people and practices one could do without. For me, God is my 'rock,' and belief in Him inspires me to be more than I could otherwise be...do more than I could otherwise do...and gracefully tolerate more than I could otherwise stand.

Old 02-06-2009, 04:20 PM

"In fact without God we cannot do anything!"

I think you'd be flabbergasted to discover the things many people (including atheists) can do without god.
Sitting on your butt and awaiting the rapture is not really doing something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality