U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-06-2009, 01:36 PM
 
Location: Maryland
3,540 posts, read 5,974,105 times
Reputation: 971

Advertisements

this Christian loves the sciences, and looks forward to new discoveries.
maybe.... eventually, we'll have all the answers to the origins of the universe and all that's within it.
maybe it will be proven that all that exisits just exixts by pure random chance, or maybe we'll even have an answer to why it happened the way it did.
if I'm alive when that day comes, I can't imagine how it will answer the questions we now struggle with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-06-2009, 01:58 PM
 
1,788 posts, read 4,161,750 times
Reputation: 1235
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post

Seriously...if we look at arguments like the cosmological or the TAG argument, they certainly point to the idea of a creator.
No, they don't.


Quote:
On the other hand, evolution doesn't account for some very basic things, such as the beginning of time.
So? Algebra doesn't account for the flavor of chocolate ice cream, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2009, 02:53 PM
 
Location: Earth Wanderer, longing for the stars.
12,411 posts, read 16,006,415 times
Reputation: 8722
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Lots of proof on evolution's side...Nada on creation's....Simple isn't it? By the way who said anything about aliens? That is as unprovable as creation but it does make more sense.
At least aliens would indicate that there is a scientific explanation - but they would only have an advanced technology and you would be stuck with 'who created them?'

In the end, who cares. We can only put our noses to the grindstone and painstakingly inch our way into learning as much as possible.

The only thing I object to is that some of the religious would stop the quest to find things out, and that is the height of idiocy to any rational mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2009, 03:06 PM
 
124 posts, read 289,723 times
Reputation: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I think 'they' say there are gaps and also explanations that are questionable.
To me it is a large jump from
'we don't know all there is to know'
to
'if we don't know, then it must be the invisible friend in the sky who did it'.
That's just the thing. The entire basis ID is an argument from Incredulity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2009, 03:22 PM
 
Location: Earth. For now.
1,198 posts, read 1,718,170 times
Reputation: 1139
I am just waiting for the grand, ironic day when ID "research" finally discovers the name of the Designer.

And it happens to be Zeus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2009, 03:46 PM
 
1,403 posts, read 3,062,456 times
Reputation: 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
The fossil record also does not support the ideas of evolution between species. We see fully formed species in the fossil record...but not much in between.
Seriously guy, who is filling your brain with this stuff? It's amazing how far this PATENTLY FALSE idea have worked itself in the creationist's argument.

Do us all a favor....google "transitional fossils"....the fossil record is absolutely LITTERED with these types of fossils.

You creationists folks really need to find some other arguments for your "theory" (the term is used loosely). Whenever you trot out the "there are no transitional fossils" argument, you just show how ignorant and misinformed you are. Really, you aren't doing yourselves any favors!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2009, 05:33 PM
 
19,081 posts, read 21,281,844 times
Reputation: 13396
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal4now View Post
You have faith in science that is not till this point showing anything that is reasonably acceptable as proof of your theory and i as a Christian do not have any proof to prove you wrong, but i will contend at this point with the current information, God as an inteligent designer is just as beilevable as your argument if you dont have a vested interest in removing God as a moral scale.
What's that argument?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
It's no less valid than "mutations did it".
What does this mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Nope. But I don't believe that they will change a species over time to the point that evolution says they will.
Specifically, why not?

Quote:
Then, there's the fact that the fossil "record" is woefully inadequate to validate the theory.
The fossil record is full of transitions. What specifically do you have in mind?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
I don't see how complex things like the human eye could have evolved. It's too complex. It's too big of a jump to go from nothing, to even simple eyes, to what we see now.
This argument was dealt with years ago. I'm surprised to see someone pull it out of the bag again. Look at this vid...Dawkins is pretty young here from what I can tell lol.
Richard Dawkins demonstrates the evolution of the eye

Quote:
The fossil record also does not support the ideas of evolution between species. We see fully formed species in the fossil record...but not much in between.
Transitional Vertebrate Fossils FAQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
You have the right to be wrong.

Seriously...if we look at arguments like the cosmological or the TAG argument, they certainly point to the idea of a creator. On the other hand, evolution doesn't account for some very basic things, such as the beginning of time.
I don't know if I would A. have confidence that there is a beginning of time. B. consider it basic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2009, 06:25 AM
 
124 posts, read 289,723 times
Reputation: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
I don't see how complex things like the human eye could have evolved. It's too complex. It's too big of a jump to go from nothing, to even simple eyes, to what we see now.

The fossil record also does not support the ideas of evolution between species. We see fully formed species in the fossil record...but not much in between.
Argument from ignorance=total fail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2009, 06:28 AM
 
124 posts, read 289,723 times
Reputation: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
You have the right to be wrong.

Seriously...if we look at arguments like the cosmological or the TAG argument, they certainly point to the idea of a creator. On the other hand, evolution doesn't account for some very basic things, such as the beginning of time.
Evolution has to do with the biological sciences. It says absolutely nothing about the beginning of space or time, these are branches of physics.

You must be a hovind disciple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2009, 11:05 PM
 
Location: Earth Wanderer, longing for the stars.
12,411 posts, read 16,006,415 times
Reputation: 8722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astron1000 View Post
I am just waiting for the grand, ironic day when ID "research" finally discovers the name of the Designer.

And it happens to be Zeus.
My cat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top