U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 08:58 PM

140 posts, read 177,505 times

Advertisements

If the whole theory is: "God did it", that's not much of a theory.

(right, forgot to ask the question: what's there to it?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 09:47 PM

1,788 posts, read 4,152,301 times
Well, that's why it's not a theory.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:37 PM

12,411 posts, read 15,957,439 times
I think 'they' say there are gaps and also explanations that are questionable.
To me it is a large jump from
'we don't know all there is to know'
to
'if we don't know, then it must be the invisible friend in the sky who did it'.

Science does not have all the answers.
For every question it seems to have a solution for, more open up.
That's the nature of exploration, and the beauty of it.

Saying God did it seems tends to end all questioning and puts a huge damper on the quest for new discoveries for many people. Such attitudes have no place in science.

For the religious, how about looking at it this way:
Science is learning more about God by exploring the universe he created.
They are finding out about the tools he used in doing creation.
The quest of science is thereby a holy quest.
Scientists, even the atheistic ones, are trying to find out more about God in their quest for knowledge, although they don't express it in that way.

Much of the stuff that passes for religion today is only the take old tribal people had on the mysteries of the universe from their knowledge at the time.
We don't have to negate God to further science, but only remove stale religious concepts from the 'science' of more primitive days.

There was a day when the world seriously believed that illness was caused by demons. That was the state of knowledge of the day. Regardless of the interference of demons, science has moved us a long way into curing and preventing much disease and prolonged many of our lives.

Of course those religious folks who are against euthanasia don't believe in man's intervention in the natural progress of our God given lives, and to follow their logic, if we should not intervene in ending a life of suffering we should also not intervene to prolong a life.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:42 PM

243 posts, read 411,327 times
It is much easier to say we dont know how it happened but we would be willing to accept aliens from another world caused it then God did? Or it was a mathematical impossibility that did happen?
You have faith in science that is not till this point showing anything that is reasonably acceptable as proof of your theory and i as a Christian do not have any proof to prove you wrong, but i will contend at this point with the current information, God as an inteligent designer is just as beilevable as your argument if you dont have a vested interest in removing God as a moral scale.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:45 PM

30,038 posts, read 30,705,281 times
Lots of proof on evolution's side...Nada on creation's....Simple isn't it? By the way who said anything about aliens? That is as unprovable as creation but it does make more sense.

Old 02-05-2009, 11:23 PM

140 posts, read 177,505 times
Design is only a part of creations. Let's say God designed all the good things on earth (got all the credits, but no blames), then how are they manufactured? What's the theory on the manufacturing part?

And why is designed even needed?

Old 02-05-2009, 11:31 PM

243 posts, read 411,327 times
Now show me this "lotsa proof" that life was created by accident. Till now i see evamples of evolution but have yet to see anything that came remotely close to explaining how that first life containing cell started. Then explain how it became functioning. then explain how it found a mate to reproduce another cell to carry on the work. Then explain why these two compatiable sexually cells developed into something different because according to your theory they were already surviving so why the need to change. Then explain why every other cell didnt change like the first 2 did. I think you get my point.

Old 02-06-2009, 12:14 AM

307 posts, read 1,052,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal4now View Post
Now show me this "lotsa proof" that life was created by accident. Till now i see evamples of evolution but have yet to see anything that came remotely close to explaining how that first life containing cell started. Then explain how it became functioning. then explain how it found a mate to reproduce another cell to carry on the work. Then explain why these two compatiable sexually cells developed into something different because according to your theory they were already surviving so why the need to change. Then explain why every other cell didnt change like the first 2 did. I think you get my point.
So, I guess you've exhausted the library then?

Old 02-06-2009, 12:21 AM

30,038 posts, read 30,705,281 times
Quote:
Actually you really should do your own research and educate yourself on evolution. I'm not here as a teacher.

Old 02-06-2009, 03:45 AM

2,633 posts, read 4,453,153 times
Quote:
I didn't know cells had sex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality