Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 02:08 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,618,856 times

Advertisements

My brother is studying to be a licensed pastor. I hadn't ever really thought about it before since we don't talk much and couldn't be further apart ideologically. But the other day I got to thinking what qualifies someone to be a pastor?

For every other profession I can think from being a barber to being a physician, you have to pass certain measurable, tangible benchmarks to show that you possess the level of skill necessary to be a licensed professional.

So how does this work for pastors?

They don't work with anything you can measure the affect on. As far as I know they don't have to go and get recertified. You certainly don't have to adhere to the morality code of being a pastor (Ted Haggard, any televangelist). So how do you prove that you are capable of being pastor.

I don't really care because it's all a sham but I'm just curious as to why people that hold the job in such high esteem have so little quantifiable over sight in their leaders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 02:19 PM

783 posts, read 1,326,709 times
Your statement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
I don't really care because it's all a sham ...
says it all.

There are qualification requirements to being ordained or “licensed”. If you cared you would look further to find out what the requirements are.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:25 PM

I've asked my brother who's going through the process and there doesn't seem to be anything legitimate about it. It sounds like they just let anyone do it.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:37 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,351,497 times
I know in the congregation I attend, preachers go to a very intense preaching school for 2 yrs. If they're married, their wife takes classes as well.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:47 PM

1,788 posts, read 4,755,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt & Light View Post
Your statement:

says it all.

There are qualification requirements to being ordained or “licensed”. If you cared you would look further to find out what the requirements are.
Not really. I can become an ordained minister in five minutes over the internet.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
I know in the congregation I attend, preachers go to a very intense preaching school for 2 yrs. If they're married, their wife takes classes as well.
But what do they learn? My brother has been in what sounds like something similiar and as far as I can tell it's just tought by some guy at his church. As far as I can tell he just reads a bunch of stuff and helps out around the church. I can't read a book on rockets and then just expect to be the head of NASA.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:56 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
Not really. I can become an ordained minister in five minutes over the internet.

A buddy of mine did that, now he's referred to as 'The Reverend Big Mike'.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:09 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,351,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
But what do they learn? My brother has been in what sounds like something similiar and as far as I can tell it's just tought by some guy at his church. As far as I can tell he just reads a bunch of stuff and helps out around the church. I can't read a book on rockets and then just expect to be the head of NASA.
Just from a quick search I found this:

Old Testament Studies
New Testament Studies
Language Studies
General Introductions
Basic Biblical Studies
Studies in Apologetics
Studies in History
Studies in General Ministries
Studies in Speech
Special Curriculum for Student Wives

Old 03-26-2009, 03:11 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,929,654 times
They think they qualify in many cases being able to quote chapter and verse via memory.

I hate it when a JW comes to my door...opens the book and starts to QUOTE.

Decades ago as a litle boy I was required by my parents to attend sunday school and 1/2 hr later to attend adult service.

One thing I recall was the minister (Presbyterian) only quoted one point and the entire sermon was on the subject... many times he had tears in his eyes being so emotional. NO he was not a (Jimmy Swaggert).

My point is that he never gave Chapter and verse but preached every day situations that needed to be addressed during that time period (30's).

Now the JW person always starts with generalities and slowly turns to his book and then Quotes.

A Pastor studies a little and then attempts to pass on his limited knowledge onto others.

Some yrs past had a Lutheran employee always quoting some verse from the Bible to me. Chapter this and verse this says that etc...etc...etc. does not make beans to me as some stranger wrote the words from a translation of a translation of a translation from a translation going way back in time where the language was completly different then it is today. Who is the authority to define what the words meant in those times. I use the words "THEE and THOU" as an example. No one uses those words today. Why not?. Exactly right. The 21st century is not the 12th century or earlier. Words and meanings change constantly. I had the privelege to see a 1st edition of the Luthern Bible printed in "OLD GERMAN" of the 1500's. That German has changed drastically over the centurys. Who today is able to translate the words?

I'm getting off my soap box...have said enough.. Steve

Old 03-26-2009, 03:26 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times
I just did a Google search out of curiosity and this link is typical of what I found:
I know they have Bible colleges and that sort of thing but I get the feeling that a person could become a pastor without alot of educational background. Then of course there's alot of self styled individuals who start their own organizations and call themselves ministers but they've just created their own church and made themselves the leader of it like it's just a business which it often is. I do think a fairly large and established church who was looking for a new pastor would probably require some educational credentials but I also think they're looking for other qualities as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality