U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 08:55 AM

30,038 posts, read 30,684,539 times

Advertisements

Sorry, I had to clear up the statement you made that man has only been around for 7,000 years. I only linked to the oldest, there are many more recent and more complete fossils....But as you say I'm off topic...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 12:25 PM

21,278 posts, read 20,883,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Well of course they have life, they are alive, but the Bible does not say they have a soul.
Maybe it would help if you told us exactly what you believe a soul to be. Try to define the word as you understand it.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:47 PM

21,417 posts, read 29,545,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Maybe it would help if you told us exactly what you believe a soul to be. Try to define the word as you understand it.
The dictionary defines it as the moral and emotional nature of human beings the quality that arouses emotion and sentiment spiritual or moral force. Jesus said in John 12: 27 "Now my soul is deeply troubled". We are also told to love God with all our heart, soul, and strength. I believe my soul is what will be in Heaven with Jesus, He died to save my soul. Jesus did not die for animals, but for human life.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:32 PM

21,278 posts, read 20,883,681 times
Quote:
The dictionary defines it as the moral and emotional nature of human beings the quality that arouses emotion and sentiment spiritual or moral force. Jesus said in John 12: 27 "Now my soul is deeply troubled". We are also told to love God with all our heart, soul, and strength. I believe my soul is what will be in Heaven with Jesus, He died to save my soul. Jesus did not die for animals, but for human life.
Okay, do you make any distinction between the spirit and the soul, or do you use the words interchangeably? Also, if you believe your soul is what will be in Heaven with Jesus, do you not believe in a physical resurrection of the body?

Old 02-13-2009, 07:20 AM

1,534 posts, read 1,593,431 times
Quote:
Quote:
The dictionary defines it as the moral and emotional nature of human beings the quality that arouses emotion and sentiment spiritual or moral force.
In all fairness to the meaning of the word soul, you are using an English dictionary for the definition of a Greek word (psuche #5590) which is taken from a Hebrew word. The word 'nephesh'.

Quote:
Jesus said in John 12: 27 "Now my *soul is deeply troubled".
*soul #5590 psuche psoo-khay' from 5594; breath, i.e. (by implication) spirit, abstractly or concretely (the animal sentient principle only; thus distinguished on the one hand from 4151, which is the rational soul; and on the other from 2222, which is mere vitality, even of plants: these terms thus exactly correspond respectively to the Hebrew 5315, 7307 and 2416):--heart (+ -ily), life, mind, soul, + us, + you.

Strong's Exhaustive Concordance says, "(5315) nephesh; a breathing creature, i.e. animal or (abstr.) vitality: used very widely in a literal, accommodated or figurative sense (bodily or mental); appetite, beast, body, breath, creature, dead, desire, contented, fish, ghost, greedy, he, heart, (jeopardy of life; in jeopardy), lust, man, me,, mind, mortally, one, own, person, pleasure, (her, him, my, thy) self, them (your) selves, slay, soul, tablet, they, thing, will, would have it."

For example, psuche is used of the lower animals, just as I showed you nephesh is used of lower life forms in the first chapter of the book of Genesis.

In Revelation 8:9, the Greek word psuche (remember this is the ONLY word which is ever used for the word "soul" in the English language) is rendered "life."

Notice also Revelation 16:3, where lower life forms are spoken of, yet the word "soul" is used.

Here is one more New Testament proof that the word "soul" as it found its way into the English language means a being, or living thing, which can die! In this case, it is used of various forms of life (of which there are thousands) in the sea!

For more proof, read Acts 2:41-43; 3:23; 7:14; 27:37; Romans 2:9; 13:1; I Corinthians 15:45; James 5:20; I Peter 3:20; 11 Peter 2:14; Revelation 6:9; 18:13; 20:4.

In those passages, the Greek word psuche is used for the life of man, which can be destroyed, or lost.

Matthew 16:25 and 26.

Notice the way it is rendered in the KJV: "For whosoever will save his life [psuche] shall lose it; and whosoever will lose his life [psuche) for my sake shall find it.

"For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul [psuche]? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul [psuche]?"

Quote:
Jesus did not die for animals, but for human life.
The soul is what keeps beings alive. Animals must have this vital element also. However I have never, nor would I ever say my precious Saviour Jesus Christ died for animals.

Last edited by mshipmate; 02-13-2009 at 08:28 AM..

Old 02-13-2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Okay, do you make any distinction between the spirit and the soul, or do you use the words interchangeably? Also, if you believe your soul is what will be in Heaven with Jesus, do you not believe in a physical resurrection of the body?
Yes I believe in a physical resurrection of the body.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:19 AM

30,038 posts, read 30,684,539 times
Quote:
Yes I believe in a physical resurrection of the body.
Really.....Sans frantically looks around....Where are the countless billions of resurrected people? Mom? Dad?...Where are you?

Old 02-13-2009, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Really.....Sans frantically looks around....Where are the countless billions of resurrected people? Mom? Dad?...Where are you?
All believers are promised life after death and a body like Christ's, a resurrection body. Our present body is perishable and prone to decay, our resurrection body will be transformed. Our new body will not be weak, never get sick and will never die. But this is all based on what the Bible says, and you don't believe anything in the Bible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality