Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 12:52 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,021,085 times

Advertisements

I must admit, that even tho I Do believe in God ( Supreme Being, Great Spirit etc), I doubt Him at the same time. When look at the world around me, with the near perfection of nature, plus the vastness of the Universe, not to mention the everyday "miracles", and all, I really believe in something greater than ourselves.
That being said I also believe that while God did create the universe, and all it's glories, and while He may love us unconditionally, and wants the best for all of us, he does NOT answer, even the smallest of prayers, that we are bascially "on our own" down here, and if things get tough, too bad for us.
Example, my whole life I have taken great care of my body, thru diet, exercise, no drinking, no drugs, yet I get colitis, and suffer thru 4 surgeries because of it. I also am educated, work hard, do well at my jobs, I have copies of all my reviews as proof, but have been laid off 6 times, with each time getting tougher to recover from.
I pray and ask God for guidance, direction, and answers. My responce: nothing except more bad luck
My take on God is either, He doesn;t care, or that this whole God thing is a sham, that God is nothing more than a crutch humans use to make themselves feel better about the unknown. Either way ,my belief in Him is wavering to the point of near athiesm.
I know life isn;t going to be all seashells and balloons, but it shouldn;t be constant struggle, especially when a person does it "the right way"

Anyone else struggling with this also? I expect to be flamed for this post, but it is how I feel. Not trying to offend on purpose but at my wit's end
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 12:55 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,931,124 times
Have you heard much on Deism?

Old 02-12-2009, 12:59 PM

40,049 posts, read 34,501,499 times
That must be quite a conflict to carry around in your head, believing in a Supreme Being while simultaneously doubting Him.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:02 PM

I have yes, deism seems to fit my beliefs pretty close actually.
Thanks for not flaming me coosjoaquin

Old 02-12-2009, 01:07 PM

23,000 posts, read 34,293,264 times
Have you ever accepted Jesus as your Savior, do you have a relationship with Him? This is the first step to knowing God and knowing the peace that He gives in trying times. Storms are a part of life and sometimes leave people feeling confused and angry. Sometimes God will send us into a storm as what happened in Matthew 14:22, Jesus sent them into the storm, but He will always stay with us through the storm and carry us to the other side. God is still in control even though at times it may not look like it. As a child of God, we have the confidence to know that everything that comes into our life has been either sent by God or sifted through His hands of love. Never give up, trust Jesus.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:13 PM

2,636 posts, read 6,634,809 times
I really feel for you because your head must be going through hell right now. I don't mean to sound like an agony aunt but I think you should do some research into Buddhism. I'm not saying become a full-blown Buddhist because it might not be for you, however their attitude to life and its problems, along with their meditation methods for when times get tough, is really refreshing and can help to soften the steeliest of hearts. Obviously it won't change your physical surroundings but it can help you to achieve inner peace and acceptance and can make coping with things a heck of a lot easier. Your local Buddhist centre will probably offer some sort of spiritual guidance sessions and the vast majority don't require you to be a Buddhist to take part.

I really hope everything works out for you.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:15 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,368,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
I know life isn;t going to be all seashells and balloons, but it shouldn;t be constant struggle, especially when a person does it "the right way"
I think that this is your problem. There is nothing that life "shouldn't be" and, in fact, life is a constant struggle. That won't change regardless of your level of devotion to God.
Just be prepared for the struggle ~ if your religion helps, then great. If it does not, then you should find a philosophy that works for you. That is, one that helps you through the constant struggle that we call life.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:16 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,163,795 times
you betcha every time i am scared.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:21 PM

Valid points all Thanks!! I keep wondering why God keeps on sending me thru storms. a few storms, ok I undertsand, but c'mon enough is enough. What's the purpose of sending someone you supposedly "love" thru storm after storm, while others seem to get a bump-free ride thru life.
Please believe me when I say : I'm not that bad of a person!!! Really

Old 02-12-2009, 01:33 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,441,652 times
Leavewi..I can sympathize with what you are feeling and your desperation..I have gone through that myself more than once..The questioning, the feeling of losing my faith..The feeling that if he exists he must really hate me..We are human, with human emotions..We have highs, we have lows, we feel we are blest, we feel we are cursed....
I would suggest ,since you are out of work now,that between hunting for another job and other obligations that you do a little searching on your own about other religions, other beliefs, I did that years ago..It helped me not to blame God for the things that happen here..and it also brought me right back to Him..I learned that no one has all the answers, but having Him in my life has always helped me through the bad times..
I sincerely hope, and pray, that things will turn around for you..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality