U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 09:57 AM

30,037 posts, read 30,671,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
I must have a recessive form of that genetic mutation. I also lived in a high stress world. The result of life’s stressors on me is to return to reality and basic logic. Religion in my view is a waste of time and thus an added stressor.
LOL....I guess you and I are evolution's rejects...I spent almost twenty years being force fed dogma, and even though I wanted to believe I just couldn't do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 10:07 AM

7,916 posts, read 16,397,088 times
sanspeur wrote:
Quote:
LOL....I guess you and I are evolution's rejects...
Yeah, me too. I've been rejected by everyone and everything else so why should evolution be any different?

Old 02-07-2009, 08:16 PM

37,480 posts, read 25,224,572 times
Religion is the side effect of the existence of brain states that are designed to provide information about reality that is not available through our sensory system alone (nor its extensions). Religion is one possible response to such information being available non-verbally in our intuitive mind but not easily translatable into our logical mind's verbal concepts.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:49 PM

6,343 posts, read 8,484,013 times
This enhances my faith as a believer. If indeed GOD is in the brain, than GOD does indeed hold sway and is, indeed, nothing that should be ignored, for if we ignore the human mind, than we might as well through out psychology all together ( Tom Cruise would love that...)

So, is GOD indeed "simply" a part of the human mind, or is it a celestial force? Who knows and who cares. All I know is that, be it a external deity, a internal thought process, a Myth, a fact or all of the above, GOD is real in my life.

This is the ultimate problem of religion vs. spirituality. For science, the question is "how does it work?" while for spirituality, the question should be "does it work?" and for me, it (GOD) does indeed work, be it a thought process or a higher being or what have you.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:10 PM

4,634 posts, read 3,729,259 times
I have to agree here too (with a lot of you)
I found forced religion to be very stressful growing up..you know the whole "Bondage of Sin " thing we have all heard too many times???
I like to use the term "Freedom from the chains of Jesus" now
And a stress free life? hell no. I have kids !!!!!
But a less stressed life than I used to have? Absolutely

I can point back to the earlier psychological tests involving various types of isolation and sensory deprivation. as you all know, the results of these tests proved that the brain WILL manufacture sights and sounds when deprived of natural stimulation. Anything from gray aliens to ghosts and I guess dieties would fall in there too

Old 08-16-2009, 07:13 AM

26,346 posts, read 80,751,010 times
Quote:
It must be like a runners high, get that endorphin fix with a side order of Jesus.
To illustrate, check these photos out.

Slideshow - News - Melissa Zazueta, of La Habra, sings along with Skillet at a free Harvest Crusade concert on Saturday night at Angel Stadium.

Old 08-16-2009, 08:11 AM

7,088 posts, read 12,698,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
It's really an interesting concept because it's nothing as obvious as a specific physical adaptation that could clearly be seen as providing a better chance for survival, it's something in our brains which is much more difficult to analyze and understand. I do think there could be something to it simply because religious belief is so widespread and beliefs in various deities have existed in societies that never came into contact with each other and could not have influenced one another. I don't think this could be considered as a proven scientific fact at this point and the complexity and functions of the human brain aren't even fully understood.
Well, my thoughts are along another route. Evolution creates, and in some cases it also eliminates, such as the tonsils and appendix, things that perhaps were once useful and are now on their way out. I would hope that, by now, mankinds drive to believe myths would be on the way out. I suspect this process will take time, evolution works in geologic time frames, it t'ain't a "POOF" type of event.

Old 08-16-2009, 08:12 AM

7,088 posts, read 12,698,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
LOL....I guess you and I are evolution's rejects...I spent almost twenty years being force fed dogma, and even though I wanted to believe I just couldn't do it.
Hummmmmm,another possibility is, we could be a bit more evolutionarily evolved, having outgrown the need for myths.

Old 08-16-2009, 02:03 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,154,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Uh oh....This is gonna cause a bit of a stir me thinks...."In this way, the theory goes, religion was selected for by evolution, and eventually permeated every human society" (New Scientist, 28 January 2006, p 30)

Religion is a product of the evolution of man...I can't wait to see the responses forth coming on this little tid bit!
Were you thinking of me...lol...

Old 08-16-2009, 02:17 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,154,966 times
Quote:
I don’t want to get too far off topic, but if this is true and stress and hard times result in people becoming religious and god fearing than I have to wonder if the present economic crisis was another one of George Bush's gifts to the religious right. When you hear his speeches and also his staff’s interviews about being surprised by the downturn, and know everyone else saw it coming for years, you have to question their veracity. I viewed this downturn as intentional but saw it as an attempt to form a one world monetary system; now looking at this report I can see another possibility, a dual motive to drive the international economy into the tanks while filling the churches with the weak.
Take it a step further and look at the wars in history. Most based on religion and all resulting in great social stress. This evolution of faith may trigger its own stress to keep the old time religion growing.
If this is true should we recognize this genetic evolution which results in religion as a form of mental illness?
On the contrary! There wasn't one person in this planet that saw the damage that would come from Bush. You could say God just let man make his own bed to lie in. After all, wasn't George and the republicans who used the teachings of Christ to gain power over men to destroy nations?

And these things are from God, and now the Son has awaken. This economic downturn caught the most savvy economist, the richest CEO's in the world off guard. Remember this was a Global Event. And it happened right before their eyes and they could do nothing to stop it. The richest men in the world lost billions of dollars; do you think they liked or wanted that? All governments in the world lost billions; you think they wanted that?

Only One person has the authority on this planet do all these things. And by the "Grace" of God He will lift the minds of even the smartest scientist to know that God exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality