Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 08:51 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,460,378 times

Advertisements

Born believers: How your brain creates God - science-in-society - 04 February 2009 - New Scientist

This article should give the forum something to discuss for a while.

Later ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 09:24 PM

33,532 posts, read 37,132,711 times
Uh oh....This is gonna cause a bit of a stir me thinks...."In this way, the theory goes, religion was selected for by evolution, and eventually permeated every human society" (New Scientist, 28 January 2006, p 30)

Religion is a product of the evolution of man...I can't wait to see the responses forth coming on this little tid bit!

Old 02-07-2009, 07:33 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,754,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Uh oh....This is gonna cause a bit of a stir me thinks...."In this way, the theory goes, religion was selected for by evolution, and eventually permeated every human society" (New Scientist, 28 January 2006, p 30)

Religion is a product of the evolution of man...I can't wait to see the responses forth coming on this little tid bit!
The sweet smell of irony?

Old 02-07-2009, 08:03 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,355,255 times
I don’t want to get too far off topic, but if this is true and stress and hard times result in people becoming religious and god fearing than I have to wonder if the present economic crisis was another one of George Bush's gifts to the religious right. When you hear his speeches and also his staff’s interviews about being surprised by the downturn, and know everyone else saw it coming for years, you have to question their veracity. I viewed this downturn as intentional but saw it as an attempt to form a one world monetary system; now looking at this report I can see another possibility, a dual motive to drive the international economy into the tanks while filling the churches with the weak.
Take it a step further and look at the wars in history. Most based on religion and all resulting in great social stress. This evolution of faith may trigger its own stress to keep the old time religion growing.
If this is true should we recognize this genetic evolution which results in religion as a form of mental illness?

Old 02-07-2009, 08:14 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,754,627 times
I've had a lot of stress throughout most of my life. It's only in the past couple of years that I have been stress-free. I still don't believe in a god, though I admit to following a Buddhist path because I find it logical and beautiful.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
I've had a lot of stress throughout most of my life. It's only in the past couple of years that I have been stress-free. I still don't believe in a god, though I admit to following a Buddhist path because I find it logical and beautiful.
I must have a recessive form of that genetic mutation. I also lived in a high stress world. The result of life’s stressors on me is to return to reality and basic logic. Religion in my view is a waste of time and thus an added stressor.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:34 AM

1,986 posts, read 4,066,166 times
Have you ever noticed if have ever caught the very end of a televised crusade, the hundreds of people flocking to the front to be 'saved'? Must be they believe that will eliminate their stress. It all makes sense (?) now.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
Have you ever noticed if have ever caught the very end of a televised crusade, the hundreds of people flocking to the front to be 'saved'? Must be they believe that will eliminate their stress. It all makes sense (?) now.
It must be like a runners high, get that endorphin fix with a side order of Jesus.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:02 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,018,586 times
Hmmm, actually it makes sense to me that "god & religion" are definitely part of evolution. As man's brain and intelligence evolved he grew more wary of the world around him and more frantic to explain it, as well as to protect himself from it. Asking for help from an unseen entity, believing in something more powerful for protection than his own club or spear, makes sense.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:13 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,622,146 times
It's really an interesting concept because it's nothing as obvious as a specific physical adaptation that could clearly be seen as providing a better chance for survival, it's something in our brains which is much more difficult to analyze and understand. I do think there could be something to it simply because religious belief is so widespread and beliefs in various deities have existed in societies that never came into contact with each other and could not have influenced one another. I don't think this could be considered as a proven scientific fact at this point and the complexity and functions of the human brain aren't even fully understood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality