U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-07-2009, 07:58 PM
 
Location: On the Edge of the Fringe
4,639 posts, read 3,734,867 times
Reputation: 3903

Advertisements

This is actually funny (or meant to be)
And True

Happened this afternoon
I looked out to see two pairs of Jahova's Witness canvassing the neighborhood. Now religious solicitors are generally not welcome, (I have a no Solicitation sign for the benefit of them and the carpetcleaners and all others.

Now I was Outside, watching the kids, and the neighbor's kids too (they were all in my yard)
When two of the J W's come up the driveway.
Now I know some of you use your garage as a place to store cars. Some use it as a man's space or work area or storage room or whatever.
Mine is my studio, and most of my work painting and photography involves nudes.
SO with wall to wall nude paintings and photos I invited them in !!!

Now I noticed that they turned and faced outward sort of, as not to look at the artwork.
A few minutes of talk later, after professing my lack of of belief in what they believe in I was asked if I believe in the Bible as the Word of God and I said no and went on to explain reasons why
Well, they left

Don't know why ..... I was being polite
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-07-2009, 08:10 PM
 
Location: Pawnee Nation
7,525 posts, read 14,550,667 times
Reputation: 7001
Back in the early 70's a fellow seaman had just returned from a Red Sea cruise with Pakistan as one of the ports of call. He had come back with a substantial amount of blond hashish. There were about 15 of us sitting in a circle passing the hookah mouthpiece around......and it was really pleasant, because the water bowl was filled with apricot brandy......so not only was there a really nice smoke, the aroma was exceptional. Needless to say, several of the people had brought their own stash and were rolling joints and passing them.

The doorbell rang.

One of the women got up to answer the door, and we heard her say "come on in!" As we were listening to music ( a new group...."Yes" with Rick Wakeman's fingers on the keyboard) we were both caught up in the intricate keyboarding and the wonderful laughter and companionship around the hookah. I glanced up as two women came in and sat down on a couch......there was lots of room on the couch, as most of us were sitting on the floor. Barb (the woman who answered the door) asked them if they would like a beer, a glass of wine or a cup of tea......all politely declined. About that time someone handed Barb a joint, she took a toke, turned to the guests with an outstretched hand to offer them a hit and saw an empty couch.

For some reason we never had another visit from JW's.............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2009, 09:00 PM
 
6,343 posts, read 8,489,769 times
Reputation: 3440
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
This is actually funny (or meant to be)
And True

Happened this afternoon
I looked out to see two pairs of Jahova's Witness canvassing the neighborhood. Now religious solicitors are generally not welcome, (I have a no Solicitation sign for the benefit of them and the carpetcleaners and all others.

Now I was Outside, watching the kids, and the neighbor's kids too (they were all in my yard)
When two of the J W's come up the driveway.
Now I know some of you use your garage as a place to store cars. Some use it as a man's space or work area or storage room or whatever.
Mine is my studio, and most of my work painting and photography involves nudes.
SO with wall to wall nude paintings and photos I invited them in !!!

Now I noticed that they turned and faced outward sort of, as not to look at the artwork.
A few minutes of talk later, after professing my lack of of belief in what they believe in I was asked if I believe in the Bible as the Word of God and I said no and went on to explain reasons why
Well, they left

Don't know why ..... I was being polite
Funny indeed


I have a story that can top that one, also involving the dreaded JWs.

When I was sixteen, over a friend's house on a Saturday morning while his parents were not there, we saw the JWs coming and decided to have some fun. My friend Leif yanked his shirt off (he has a nice build) and drew and upside down cross with black lip stick on his four head and started blaring Skinny Puppy loud as hell
YouTube - Skinny Puppy - Too Dark Park Backing Film - Nature's Revenge

Well, he answered the door while I hung back What did I do? I took my shirt off and and approached the door (it looked as if I had my shirt off the whole time) and said "baby, let's get back to bed" and gave him a hug and ran my fingers along his six-pack.

The two old ladies kind of stopped and looked at eachother and just left!...it was probably the gayest thing I have ever done in my life, but it was worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2009, 09:04 PM
 
Location: On the Edge of the Fringe
4,639 posts, read 3,734,867 times
Reputation: 3903
THAT is Funny
The only thing better today would have been if I were matting and framing a nude photo instead of working on abstracts which I was doing.....
I don;t try to disrespect other's beliefs, I think the religous right do enough tof that and it does not help.
But I do not agree with much of what they believe and There is really no common frame of reference for any conversation without religion,
and
as the sign says "no solicitors" It means I am not buying anything....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2009, 09:11 PM
 
6,343 posts, read 8,489,769 times
Reputation: 3440
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
THAT is Funny
I don;t try to disrespect other's beliefs, I think the religous right do enough tof that and it does not help.
But I do not agree with much of what they believe and There is really no common frame of reference for any conversation without religion,
and
as the sign says "no solicitors" It means I am not buying anything....

I agree, and I am religious. I mean, when I'm on a public street, I don't mind if someone comes up to me and tries to talk to me about religion or a sale on leather jackets (get that allot in NYC) or something, because I'm on the street and I figure I'm fair game and I just tell them nicely that "I'm not intrested" and they usually go away, but IN MY OWN HOME?

My home is private property and I should be allowed to be undisturbed in my property. Period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2009, 01:36 PM
 
Location: South Carolina
3,586 posts, read 5,345,736 times
Reputation: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
This is actually funny (or meant to be)
And True

Happened this afternoon
I looked out to see two pairs of Jahova's Witness canvassing the neighborhood. Now religious solicitors are generally not welcome, (I have a no Solicitation sign for the benefit of them and the carpetcleaners and all others.

Now I was Outside, watching the kids, and the neighbor's kids too (they were all in my yard)
When two of the J W's come up the driveway.
Now I know some of you use your garage as a place to store cars. Some use it as a man's space or work area or storage room or whatever.
Mine is my studio, and most of my work painting and photography involves nudes.
SO with wall to wall nude paintings and photos I invited them in !!!

Now I noticed that they turned and faced outward sort of, as not to look at the artwork.
A few minutes of talk later, after professing my lack of of belief in what they believe in I was asked if I believe in the Bible as the Word of God and I said no and went on to explain reasons why
Well, they left

Don't know why ..... I was being polite
I haven't had them come by my house yet, but if they do, I will teach them who Jesus really is. After that I'm sure they will never come back. It shows that they lack faith and are guided by false doctrines, because when someone guides them to truth, they pack up and leave, and never come back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2009, 01:43 PM
 
4,512 posts, read 6,582,951 times
Reputation: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
I agree, and I am religious. I mean, when I'm on a public street, I don't mind if someone comes up to me and tries to talk to me about religion or a sale on leather jackets (get that allot in NYC) or something, because I'm on the street and I figure I'm fair game and I just tell them nicely that "I'm not intrested" and they usually go away, but IN MY OWN HOME?

My home is private property and I should be allowed to be undisturbed in my property. Period.


I have never-ever found them to be intrusive, unlike Big Brother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2009, 02:04 AM
 
Location: Tucson/Nogales
16,491 posts, read 20,032,558 times
Reputation: 22430
I had read sometime ago that in India, if you go to someone's house to proseletyze, you can be arrested and thrown in jail. That's what I tell them when they come knocking at my door: If you did this in India.............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2009, 06:05 AM
 
4,669 posts, read 3,904,962 times
Reputation: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
THAT is Funny
The only thing better today would have been if I were matting and framing a nude photo instead of working on abstracts which I was doing.....
I don;t try to disrespect other's beliefs, I think the religous right do enough tof that and it does not help.
But I do not agree with much of what they believe and There is really no common frame of reference for any conversation without religion,
and
as the sign says "no solicitors" It means I am not buying anything....

Just curious...did they ask you for money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2009, 06:33 AM
 
Location: Montrose, CA
3,031 posts, read 7,869,281 times
Reputation: 1925
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Just curious...did they ask you for money?
They asked him for his soul.

My sign specifically says "No salesmen, no soliciting, and no proselytizing!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top