U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2009, 06:01 PM

140 posts, read 177,441 times

Advertisements

Since everyone agrees the version of God depends on the locality on earth, then does anyone know what's Eskimos' God look like?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 08:44 PM

30,038 posts, read 30,680,506 times
The Inuit religion is nature worship. Everything has a soul and is spiritually connected. The powers of nature possessed a neutral position towards man. When bad things happened, the source was most likely to be found in people's bad behaviour.

The Inuit believed that life was eternal. Death was only a transformation from one world to another. Arriving on the other side two worlds appeared. A world under water and earth, where the seal meat was plenty and a world in the sky rich on berries. Hell didn’t exist.

A human was believed to have several souls. Each part of the body had it’s own soul......When a person became ill it was a sign of one or more souls had left the body. To be cured the souls had to be found and brought back to the body.

As protection against illness and death all Inuits have several amulets..... The amulet only had power if they were hidden from other people. The amulets could be almost anything. Small pieces of bone, teeth, wooden figures, stones, bird wings, dried intestines. To lose an amulet was a true disaster.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:16 PM

7,654 posts, read 9,675,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Well Campbell, come on now Everything ON HERE is opinion....mine, yours, his, hers....Everything everyone posts is OPINION!!! that is the nature of this board
I happen to favor the opinion of educated intellectuals, including anthropologists and archeologists over follwers of an ancient religion. I favor the opinion of Bishop Spng, because he is an intellectual. Also Joseph Campbell, Christopher Hitchens, Richard Dawkins, Stephen Jawking The list goes on and on and on
Who do I not favor? I tend to shy away from those who see myth as fact, who see the world as black and white or all or nothing. I tend to shy away from propagandists, as they offer no message or solution, only a commentary on the problem. I tend to question those who have a graduate degree in theology. My experience, dealing directly with this (Having once applied long ago and then deciding not to go) is that a Masters degree in Theology is yours to be had, all you have to do is pay the money down and agree with everything you hear. No intellegence required. That is not to say that there are no intellectuals with a theology degree; Shelby SPong is a great example. But they are the very rare exception, not the norm.
SO when I see scientific evidence which proves or disproves something (Such as evolution vs creationism) I tend to follow facts. Unfortunately the Bible is NOT fact, it is myth, and should only ever be consifdered as such.

The comment about Native Americans was this: Why didn;t some all knowing all powerful diety take and appear to the Native Americans and inform them that some tribe which they had no idea even existed before Euroeans came is notw designated as the "chosen ones?" And probably the most compelling question of all: IF this all knowing and all powerful diety gave the Bible to His select followers, then why did he have to go years later and give the Koran to another group? Did he not get it right the first time? Or did he not know that it would fail? Questions to ponder, all of which point back to an evolution of God in Locality.....
There is evidence that the Native Americans had knowledge of Biblical facts. And the God of the Bible does reveal Himself to those who seek Him.
And the God of the Bible did not give the Koran to anyone, that was given to other groups by someone other than God. And I believe you are one who is looking at facts, yet you consider them myths. And the reason you consider the Bible a myth, is because you are not aware of the numerous discoveries, or have ignored such discoveries which is revealing the Bible as true. And perhaps you do this, to imbrace your worldview.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
As a Native American and a member of the Tsalagi, we knew nothing of your God or your holy book until the white man brought Christianity to our land and tried to destroy and decimate our culture and beliefs, Christians claim to be persecuted and yet they turn around and do the same thing themselves to the native people of this land who lived here for thousands of years without your Christianity and sacred books and lived in peace and harmony with the land. So don't go telling a big lie.
Well in 1400 AD long before the white man came, the Ojibwe natives of Minnesota had the story of the Global flood in their oral tradition. As their story goes. God was saddedned when the people began to disrespect each other and quarrel. When it appeared there was no hope God decided to purify Mother Earth with water. He flood the earth and caught all creation off guard. All but a few survived. The few that survived floated on a log with various animals.

In Alaska the Kolusches speak of the flood, and they say it was brought on by God, with a warning given, humans were spared, animals were spared, and they were all preserved in a Vessel.

The Montagnais of Canada, stated the earth was destroyed by water, it was brought about by God, a warning was given, humans were spared, animals were spared, and they were preserved in a Vessel.

When the first Christian missionaries first realized that the indians had the flood story in their oral tradition, they thought it was the work of the Devil.

Now you may know nothing of my God, but it appears the indians of the past certainly knew something. And no, I am not telling a big lie, I am only speaking of historical accounts here.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW123 View Post
Since everyone agrees the version of God depends on the locality on earth, then does anyone know what's Eskimos' God look like?
Well I know the Eskimos had a story in their oral tradiction that was similar to the global flood spoken of in the Bible.
The Kolusches of Alaska believed that the earth was destroyed by water, that a warning was given, humans were spared, animals were spared, and they were all preserved in a Vessel.

If the version of God depends on the locality on earth, can you explain why most of those versions of God have a Global flood story?

Old 02-09-2009, 11:52 PM

For petes sake Campbell, these were local floods. Almost all early cultures on earth including Noah's people lived near rivers, lakes or other bodies of water and experienced local floods. They fabricated colorful stories about them...These are called MYTHS.

How much of this one do you believe?

The god Michabo was hunting with his pack of trained wolves one day when he saw the strangest sight, the wolves entered a lake and disappeared. He followed them into the water to fetch them and as he did so, the entire world flooded.

Michabo then sent forth a raven to find some soil with which to make a new earth, but the bird returned unsuccessful in its quest.

Then Michabo sent an otter to do the same thing, but again to no avail.

Finally he sent the muskrat and she brought him back enough earth to begin the reconstruction of the world. The trees had lost their branches in the flood, so Michabo shot magic arrows at them that immediately became new branches covered with leaves.

Then Michabo married the muskrat and they became the parents of the human race.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
For petes sake Campbell, these were local floods. Almost all early cultures on earth including Noah's people lived near rivers, lakes or other bodies of water and experienced local floods. They fabricated colorful stories about them...These are called MYTHS.

How much of this one do you believe?

The god Michabo was hunting with his pack of trained wolves one day when he saw the strangest sight, the wolves entered a lake and disappeared. He followed them into the water to fetch them and as he did so, the entire world flooded.

Michabo then sent forth a raven to find some soil with which to make a new earth, but the bird returned unsuccessful in its quest.

Then Michabo sent an otter to do the same thing, but again to no avail.

Finally he sent the muskrat and she brought him back enough earth to begin the reconstruction of the world. The trees had lost their branches in the flood, so Michabo shot magic arrows at them that immediately became new branches covered with leaves.

Then Michabo married the muskrat and they became the parents of the human race.
Maybe (your flood stories were local,) mine were not. The first story states that "all but a few of each living thing died."

(sanspeur) once again, you are not paying any attention to the details.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Maybe (your flood stories were local,) mine were not. The first story states that "all but a few of each living thing died."

(sanspeur) once again, you are not paying any attention to the details.
Actually I do pay attention, but details of myths mean very little except to fans of them...You continually try to portray myths as fact....Once I weed out the myth part, there is very little left.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Actually I do pay attention, but details of myths mean very little except to fans of them...You continually try to portray myths as fact....Once I weed out the myth part, there is very little left.
The stories I spoke of even if you believe they are myths, still speak of a global flood not a local one. So you would still be wrong.

Old 02-10-2009, 03:16 AM

Eskimo (Orowignarak, Alaska):

A great inundation, together with an earthquake, swept the land so rapidly that only a few people escaped in their skin canoes to the tops of the highest mountains.

Central Eskimo:

The ocean rose suddenly and continued rising until it covered even the tops of mountains. Ice drifted on the water, and when the flood subsided, ice was stranded to form ice-caps on the tops of mountains. The shells and bones of many shellfish, fish, seals, and whales were also left high above sea level, where they may be found today. Many people drowned, but many others were saved in their boats.

I'd say this was a tsunami.

I think probably the greatest origin for flood myths, particularly in North America is is the flooding that occurred after the end of the last ice age about 11,000 years ago....No wait I'm using science, which you will promptly dismiss, but never the less it cause a great deal of massive flooding.
For instance there was a massive coastal plain stretching from Alaska to the Olympic Peninsula in Washington State....I am certain that this was heavily populated and of course the people were flooded out, as the entire area in now beneath the sea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality