U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 09:37 AM

4,670 posts, read 3,750,366 times

Advertisements

Before I state this, let me point out on this website
Ebon Musings: The Argument from Locality
There is an excellent article along the lines of this observation and I do not want to seem to be plagarizing anything

Years ago, a friend, who is a very devout and almost fanatical Roman Catholic, asked during a dinner discussion on religion, my opinion of why there are so many different interpretations of God
Appearantly, the answer he was looking for (that someone else gave) was that GOd will reveal himself to someone in the way that they can understand.
However, I had previously given the answer along the lines that people will create God based on their culture, needs , fears and understanding.
His response was
"That is aboutthe most aethistic thing I have ever heard you say."
So be it.
The article mentioned above talks some about why God wou, if He were real, Only reveal himself to a select group of individuals, as opposed to revealing himself to everyone everywhere at all times.

My point is that since God is a creation of Man, (Projected as an external diety as evidenced by the similarities of The Diety to the society which creates it) Locality can thus be easily explained.

Consider that in school, in Anthropolgy classes for example, we were often encouraged to look at literature, especially history and science fiction , and look at how reflective these are of the culture and the fears and values of the time. Sci Fi may be set in the future, but it is always very reflective of the culture which publishes it.

Look at the origins of a diety and look strongly within the context of which culture invented it.
Just an observation. As always comments are welcome and thinking encouraged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 09:47 AM

3,412 posts, read 9,044,139 times
Yeah, i always wondered why god only appears to few select "fortunate"

Is he hiding for some grand purpose? Is he picking and choosing? What is that? I don't understand when Christians say, "you have to let him into your heart", how exactly do you do that? My heart is open, come and join!
If experience of 'butterflies' in your stomach constitutes as presence of god, well, how would one distinguish that those 'butterflies' are god indeed?

Old 02-08-2009, 11:43 AM

37,644 posts, read 25,331,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
My point is that since God is a creation of Man, (Projected as an external diety as evidenced by the similarities of The Diety to the society which creates it) Locality can thus be easily explained.

Consider that in school, in Anthropolgy classes for example, we were often encouraged to look at literature, especially history and science fiction , and look at how reflective these are of the culture and the fears and values of the time. Sci Fi may be set in the future, but it is always very reflective of the culture which publishes it.

Look at the origins of a diety and look strongly within the context of which culture invented it.
What you describe (and mistakenly attribute to God, per se) is unavoidable. The connection with God is through holistic and non-verbal right brain systems. Translation to logical verbal expressions is inextricably connected to the learning, cultural and conceptual nature of the left brain cognitive structure of the recipients. Thus the man made descriptions of God vary enormously . . .as would be expected. What you should be crediting is that they exist at all and are so similar in the underlying proscription . . . self-control of our animal drives. They are found in virtually every human culture at every stage in the development of that culture. THAT is what makes them a powerful validation that SOMETHING besides our logical, rational, left brain concept of reality (which some of us experience directly) does indeed exist, IMO.

Old 02-08-2009, 01:42 PM

7,654 posts, read 9,689,355 times
Quote:
Before I state this, let me point out on this website
Ebon Musings: The Argument from Locality
There is an excellent article along the lines of this observation and I do not want to seem to be plagarizing anything

Years ago, a friend, who is a very devout and almost fanatical Roman Catholic, asked during a dinner discussion on religion, my opinion of why there are so many different interpretations of God
Appearantly, the answer he was looking for (that someone else gave) was that GOd will reveal himself to someone in the way that they can understand.
However, I had previously given the answer along the lines that people will create God based on their culture, needs , fears and understanding.
His response was
"That is aboutthe most aethistic thing I have ever heard you say."
So be it.
The article mentioned above talks some about why God wou, if He were real, Only reveal himself to a select group of individuals, as opposed to revealing himself to everyone everywhere at all times.

Well, as I always point out on post of this nature. If religion is but an invention of man, how do you explain the truth of fulfilled Bible prophecies? And how can some of those prophecies be fulfilled, when their fulfillment came about by others opposed to the culture the prophecies orginated from. Just an observation.

Old 02-08-2009, 02:00 PM

140 posts, read 177,653 times
Different versions of God are human culture based, very true. I may add, like any marketing scheme, target audience is the key determining factor.

Greeks, for example, have female Goddess. This is because women in certain cultures have powerful attributes in front of men.

Your friend's explanation about "revealing" to different groups is pretty unique/smart actually. He may have story like : "one day, God dressed up in woman's outfits showed up in a gay bar, ..."

Old 02-08-2009, 02:00 PM

4,670 posts, read 3,750,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Well, as I always point out on post of this nature. If religion is but an invention of man, how do you explain the truth of fulfilled Bible prophecies? And how can some of those prophecies be fulfilled, when their fulfillment came about by others opposed to the culture the prophecies orginated from. Just an observation.

I have no idea what specifically you are inquiring, but I do know that much of the Bible was written after the fact and thus written to appear to fulfill certain prophecy. I am not aware of anything factual associated with the Bible, but in the context of cultural mythology, that is what mythology does.....

It is easy to write about something 150 years later and make revisionist historical claims. That is not fulfillment of any prophecy, that is mythology, and the Bible is full of that ......

Old 02-08-2009, 02:44 PM

3,412 posts, read 9,044,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Just an observation??
Campbell, you always bring your prophecies in, because you have no other things to say. I've seen you've been posting same thing over and over and over again. Do you have anything intelligent to say that actually will give some other insights on the subject, like from your own perspective? Do you ever look beyond your Bronze age book?

Old 02-08-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
I have no idea what specifically you are inquiring, but I do know that much of the Bible was written after the fact and thus written to appear to fulfill certain prophecy. I am not aware of anything factual associated with the Bible, but in the context of cultural mythology, that is what mythology does.....

It is easy to write about something 150 years later and make revisionist historical claims. That is not fulfillment of any prophecy, that is mythology, and the Bible is full of that ......
Well lets take the Jerusalem East gate prophecy. The prophecy states that Jerusalems Old East Gate would have a porch Gate added to it. And the porch gate would be sealed up. And no one would be able to go through the seal Porch Gate. And the only one who would, is the Prince to come. This prophecy is found in Ezekiel 44:1-3. It was written about 2500 years ago.

Jerusalem was destroyed around 70 A.D. by the Romans. Yet the Old East Gate was not destroyed, it was buried. Then in 542 A.D. Moslem Sultan Suleiman rebuilt Jerusalem East wall, and he also rebuilt the East Gate over the Old still existing Gate which was now buried. The Old Gate now became the foundation for the new Porch Gate. The Moslems heard how some of the Jews still believed that the Messiah would return and enter through the East Gate, so to avoid such a thing from happening. They sealed the Gate, and in doing so, unwittingly fulfilled the prophecy. Years latter, Moslems tried twice to break through the Gate, which would of destroyed the prophecy, but failed both times. Each time they tried on the very day they tried, the Moslem's lost control of Jerusalem. The first time was around 1917, and the British took control of the old city. Then they tried to open it a second time in 1967. Yet before they were able to break through, the Jewish armed forces marched into the city during the 6 day war, and the Moslem's once again had to flee leaving the Gate intacted. Today the Gate remains seal just as the Bible said it would. And all of the prophecy was fulfilled by non believers in the Bible. The Bible speaks about the prince to come, yet that could only occur when the Jewish people had first returned from a worldwide exile, and were in control of Jerusalem. Which they now are.

The EAST Gate In Alignment With Holy of Holies (http://www.excel.net/~hoy/east-tab.html - broken link)

Last edited by Campbell34; 02-08-2009 at 03:07 PM..

Old 02-08-2009, 02:59 PM

12,172 posts, read 15,044,763 times
Quote:

It's story telling passed down though generations. When you were a kid did you ever play the game "Telephone?" The phrase the first person whispered sounded nothing like the phrase the last person heard.

Maybe Jesus only stuck his toe in water and over the years the story was embellished to the point when someone wrote Jesus walked on water. Who knows? Seems more like fiction than fact.

Old 02-08-2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
It's story telling passed down though generations. When you were a kid did you ever play the game "Telephone?" The phrase the first person whispered sounded nothing like the phrase the last person heard.

Maybe Jesus only stuck his toe in water and over the years the story was embellished to the point when someone wrote Jesus walked on water. Who knows? Seems more like fiction than fact.
Actually zonababe, it was a story written down about 2500 years ago, and if you have a Bible you can read the prophecy for yourself. It is found in Ezekiel 44:1-3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality