U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 09:54 PM

995 posts, read 1,175,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
Talking (praying) to God is a way of releasing my sorrows, my hardships, my joys and my everyday problems to God..It is my outlet to more or less be and say exactly what I feel, asking for my needs and others needs to be cared for, and to offer my thanks for the blessings in my life..I have faith that I am heard, and if it is for my good, my prayer requests will be answered in His way, in His time..Many times I just meditate on the wonders of his creation and think about the people who are suffering and wonder why some have to suffer when others don't..I feel at those times I am also in communication with my creator..Some people would call this self-analysis and perhaps it is for some, but there is a peacefulness that assures me that I am in communication with Him..
When I post a prayer here, I do it for two reasons..someone needs words of comfort and assurance... and I know it will be heard because I am sincere and I believe He hears all prayers..
So for me, the point of prayer is to communicate one on one with God
God answers each and every prayer but just that not all prayers are answered at once...sometimes we feel that our prayers are not answered or takes a loong time to be answered..but that's because He knows something bout our prayers/wishes that we do not. Sometimes what we prayed for might not be good for us. He knows that..we don't. So we get frustrated etc and think He's not Listening. I believe too that a person's piety does make a difference in how fast a prayer can be answered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 09:57 PM

21,423 posts, read 29,567,604 times
My circumstances may not change when I pray, but I do. I know the God who created this universe loves me and hears my prayers, what a great privilege it is to be able to go boldly before Him with whatever concerns me with assurance He hears me.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:12 AM

6,343 posts, read 8,495,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW123 View Post
If you did not send out your resumes, even if you prayed, do you think anyone going to call you?

Do whatever you're supposed to do, skip the praying part -- if you listen to an atheist's suggestions.

There is no advantage for being faithful. Church asks you to devote money and time for praying, it's up to you if you want to do it or not. But, the church stuffs can not really help you with real life situations. You still need to do everything.

But...what about a deist who doesn't believe in church? My father prays more than I do I bet, but he hates churches and calls them money grubbing and fool of hypocrites etc. So, if praying AND doing the work himself makes him feel better...why should he stop?

Old 02-09-2009, 12:33 AM

6,343 posts, read 8,495,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
Thank you Victorial and LKC, for the insight on how you take word "prayer"
May i ask if in actuality you're praying to yourself, vs. praying to a deity? That is what i concluded for both of your posts.

The answer is both. As a Gnostic Christian, I believe that GOD, the great unfathomable IT which sits above this world gave into each human a spark of it's light, so that we can come to know GOD through knowing the GOD within...like a ember from a great fire, the inner light of Pneuma is a part of GOD and yet seperated from it.

It is written in the Gospel of Thomas, saying three...

Jesus said, "If your leaders say to you, 'Look, the (Father's) kingdom is in the sky,' then the birds of the sky will precede you. If they say to you, 'It is in the sea,' then the fish will precede you. Rather, the (Father's) kingdom is within you and it is outside you.
When you know yourselves, then you will be known, and you will understand that you are children of the living Father. But if you do not know yourselves, then you live in poverty, and you are the poverty."

So, we all have a little piece of GOD inside us...like a sample of seawater that has the same chemical composition of the Ocean, it is GOD that it within, even though there is a GOD without. I pray to both at the same time, for GOD is within and that what sustains me through the cold winter of the cruel creator's world.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:13 AM

26 posts, read 47,717 times
The point of pray is to talk to God. To ask questions for life's problems and ask him to please bless your family and the world. Pray gives Hope, and that is the most important thing.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:52 AM

18 posts, read 43,467 times
For me prayer is a conscious decision to align with the Source of goodness and life. It requires that I open myself to the possibilities, wonders and majesty of our Creator, for I can say with certainty that life did not start with humans nor are we the pinnacle of life. I can also say with certainty that our energy is never destroyed, as true to the tenets of physics, it merely transforms -- even at death. It was the gradual realization of these beliefs, over decades of inattention to the health of my spirit, that made prayer possible and necessary for me.

There is a saying, "Our thoughts are our prayers. Be careful what you are thinking."

Prayer is just not a repetition of prescribed words, although I use that form of prayer as well. Prayer is a way of life, an ongoing and mindful appreciation for the opportunity to assist in making possible the kingdom of heaven right here, right now -- a seemingly naive and overwhelming task on the surface but possible if only we would. Prayer requires that I set aside time for communicating and caring for a relationship with our Source. Prayer is introspective but is demonstrable. My prayer is my willingness to join the eternal chorus singing the praises of God and to become a present moment channel for our Creator's blessings to continue to manifest. Many times my requests were answered in startling ways, sometimes when I did not even realize that what I said was a prayer. So I believe I'm finally on the better path, and my wish for you is that you allow yourself the joy and privilege of aligning your thoughts and actions (what real prayer has become for me) with the Source of goodness and life. To live otherwise is to be dead to the possibilities and miss out on our true calling.

Enjoy the journey and discovery!

Old 02-09-2009, 02:16 PM

12,510 posts, read 13,124,841 times
Quote:
Please explain, why do you have to pray to your god. Does it make you feel good, or do you truly believe he answers your prayers?
Does he only answer to certain people, and avoid others, or does he answer no one, and you're just deluding yourself into possibility of a good outcome?
Is prayer just a wishful thinking, a "feel good" kind of thing?

i like the definition "prayer is talking to god, meditation is listening to hear god's answer back"

prayer builds relationship between me and god. it's like a relationship with a close friend, or with my beloved. If you ignore your best friend, if we don't talk to each other, then there's not much fun or satisfaction for either one of us. The more time I spend talking to my beloved, getting to know and understand each other, the more deeply fulfilling it is for both of us.

no prayer goes unanswered

it is not "wishful thinking" it is building and maintaining a loving relationship

the benefits are endless

ignoring god for me would be like ignoring someone who has the time, energy, resources and big big heart to help me, encourage me, support me, yes give me lots of goodies too, pave the way to make life easier for me, answer questions i have, help me understand problems or situations that I find puzzling, provide me with love, money, comfort, reassurance, all kinds of nourishment for me at every level there is: physical, emotional, intellectual, and spiritual.

i would be foolish to turn all that down! It would be like having a HUGE bank account that I never touched. I'd have to be crazy!

Old 02-09-2009, 02:20 PM

1,492 posts, read 6,785,441 times
Quote:
Please explain, why do you have to pray to your god. Does it make you feel good, or do you truly believe he answers your prayers?
Does he only answer to certain people, and avoid others, or does he answer no one, and you're just deluding yourself into possibility of a good outcome?
Is prayer just a wishful thinking, a "feel good" kind of thing?

Prayer is simply talking to God.

All your other questions are only relative to the ones who pray.

Sure, prayer can make someone feel good- but doesn't have to.
And sure, He does answer them. And no one is excluded.
And yes, prayer can be just wishful thinking-share desires with God.

Old 02-09-2009, 02:20 PM

379 posts, read 514,895 times
A lot of people pray because they genuinely think a higher force may answer the call. Take a homeless man, for example, he may pray to get a job because it may be his last resort. People in a nice gated community though probably don't pray, since they are well off and don't really have major worries.

Old 02-09-2009, 03:05 PM

1,788 posts, read 4,152,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
i like the definition "prayer is talking to god, meditation is listening to hear god's answer back"
I don't believe in deities and yet I meditate. I don't hear "god" talking to me either, for good reason. Meditation is for introspection, relaxation, de-stressing, et cetera. Not for hearing voices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality