Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 02:46 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,351,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BST View Post
Try this link www.blueletterbible.com 14 translations including Latin Vulgate
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 03:48 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,623,378 times
kdbrich wrote:
Quote:
She's mistaken. Today's modern versions are not re-translations of the KJV, but are instead based off of manuscripts that are actually older and closer to the source than the KJV. Her argument doesn't hold water.
So what specific modern version would you consider to be the most accurate and why? I'm pretty sure that this isn't something my Mother has ever studied, she's probably had the same Bible most of her life but I'm curious since you brought it up.

Old 02-09-2009, 04:26 PM
BST

451 posts, read 1,202,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
kdbrich wrote:

So what specific modern version would you consider to be the most accurate and why? I'm pretty sure that this isn't something my Mother has ever studied, she's probably had the same Bible most of her life but I'm curious since you brought it up.
Holman Christian Standard Bible - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Scroll to the bottom for an exhaustive list of English-language Bibles. The Holman Bible strives to be as etymologically correct a translation from the original text as possible. It's 'pedigree' is noted in this same link.

Old 02-09-2009, 04:58 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,623,378 times
BST, thanks for the info.

Old 02-09-2009, 05:20 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,260,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
She's mistaken. Today's modern versions are not re-translations of the KJV, but are instead based off of manuscripts that are actually older and closer to the source than the KJV. Her argument doesn't hold water.
Even so, all translations bear the marks of the people who do the translations and their biases. We may think it is better scholarship but it may only reflect the sensibilities of our society and the translator's ideas. These biases should always be considered no matter what translation you use.

I'm no expert but I believe the poetry in the KVJ is better than other translations altho it most likely took some liberties with meanings to reflect their society at the time and to make the language flow better. The KVJ is not medieval, it is Renaissance.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:04 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringwielder View Post
I have noticed that most of the Scriptures quoted on this forum are in an archaic, out of date, sometimes hard to understand, English.

Some people even use it outside of the Scriptures, in their posts.

For instance Gen 25:29, 'And Jacob sod pottage.' King James Version.... who knows what that means?
Romans 10:8 But what saith it? The word is nigh thee' ???

'Maketh, Beareth, Knoweth, Justifieth, Travaileth..... As well as making some verses into tongue twisters, putting -eth at the end of every word can also temporarily obscure the meaning of the verses. Its just plain hard to read.

There are many modern translations of the Bible. Why not use those instead? Does it make it more authentic or more believable to use olde English? If the language is important to God, then all the Christians need to learn Hebrew, Aramaic and Koine Greek, the original languages of the Scriptures.

Just an observation, but I do genuinely wonder why only the King James Version seems to be used.
My first comment would be to point out that King James English is hardly "medieval."

Old 02-09-2009, 08:21 PM

661 posts, read 1,183,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
My first comment would be to point out that King James English is hardly "medieval."
Point taken.

What would your second point be now we have that crucial mistake corrected?

Old 02-10-2009, 10:49 PM

605 posts, read 1,107,812 times
Think that's interesting? In my church days, people used to get up during worship service and "prophesy" in the Queen's English. These were folks from the Caribbean, mind you. These were people claiming God was speaking through them to people who believed God was speaking through that person to them. My ever growing cynical mind was always wondering why God found it necessary to talk to modern folk in Shakespearean English. LOL

Old 04-23-2009, 12:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,826 times
where would i find a dictionary that i can put in now-adays american words and then they will turn them into midieval words? does anybody know?

Old 04-23-2009, 01:07 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,520,198 times
the modern way to get back (wherever!) should be time travel or astral projection.

there ought to be some rare "talents" wherever on this earth today speaking old languages - in trance...

worth searching for them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality