U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-08-2009, 07:42 PM
 
Location: Missouri
661 posts, read 1,030,427 times
Reputation: 303

Advertisements

I have noticed that most of the Scriptures quoted on this forum are in an archaic, out of date, sometimes hard to understand, English.

Some people even use it outside of the Scriptures, in their posts.

For instance Gen 25:29, 'And Jacob sod pottage.' King James Version.... who knows what that means?
Romans 10:8 But what saith it? The word is nigh thee' ???

'Maketh, Beareth, Knoweth, Justifieth, Travaileth..... As well as making some verses into tongue twisters, putting -eth at the end of every word can also temporarily obscure the meaning of the verses. Its just plain hard to read.

There are many modern translations of the Bible. Why not use those instead? Does it make it more authentic or more believable to use olde English? If the language is important to God, then all the Christians need to learn Hebrew, Aramaic and Koine Greek, the original languages of the Scriptures.

Just an observation, but I do genuinely wonder why only the King James Version seems to be used.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-09-2009, 12:27 AM
 
Location: England
3,242 posts, read 3,022,850 times
Reputation: 3182
There is a hamlet close to where I live called pease pottage, pottage as I understand it meant soup or broth hence pea soup.
Why you may ask would a place have such an unusual name? Pease Pottage was a food stop for prisoners being taken for transportation to the penal colonies in Austrailia.

Sod I think means a clump of earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2009, 01:08 AM
 
Location: Pawnee Nation
7,525 posts, read 14,550,667 times
Reputation: 7001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringwielder View Post
I have noticed that most of the Scriptures quoted on this forum are in an archaic, out of date, sometimes hard to understand, English.
King James English can be hard to follow. I agree a more contemporary translation from the Aramaic and Greek is more useful. It is kind of like listening to a vinyl LP as opposed to a CD......some think it is better, some are just nostalgic.

What I find fascinating is that when Joseph Smith translated the golden tablets that Mormos gave him, that no one but he saw, they were translated into 16th century, King James English, instead of 18th century American English.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2009, 06:58 AM
 
4,669 posts, read 3,904,962 times
Reputation: 409
Many people use the KJV because, at the time, it was the best translation out there. They just haven't realized that there are better translations that are based off of earlier manuscripts.

The KJV was based largely off of Erasmus' compilation. The modern translations are based off of manuscripts that are simply much older, and closer to the source than the KJV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2009, 08:44 AM
 
Location: Nashville, Tn
7,916 posts, read 16,407,699 times
Reputation: 5442
Ringweilder wrote:
Quote:
There are many modern translations of the Bible. Why not use those instead?
I asked my Mother who is deeply religious that very question and her response was that yet another translation leaves the door open to even more mistakes and misunderstandings than might have been there in the first place. I do think she has a point and it's also possible that someone who is translating from old English to modern English may have a hidden agenda which is to put their own spin on certain translations that were considered controversial and they might make the mistake of choosing an incorrect translation which confuses believers even more. I think it's up to Christians to read whatever version appeals to them although none of them are perfect due to the translating that's already taken place in the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2009, 08:47 AM
 
4,669 posts, read 3,904,962 times
Reputation: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Ringweilder wrote:

I asked my Mother who is deeply religious that very question and her response was that yet another translation leaves the door open to even more mistakes and misunderstandings than might have been there in the first place. I do think she has a point and it's also possible that someone who is translating from old English to modern English may have a hidden agenda which is to put their own spin on certain translations that were considered controversial and they might make the mistake of choosing an incorrect translation which confuses believers even more. I think it's up to Christians to read whatever version appeals to them although none of them are perfect due to the translating that's already taken place in the past.


She's mistaken. Today's modern versions are not re-translations of the KJV, but are instead based off of manuscripts that are actually older and closer to the source than the KJV. Her argument doesn't hold water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2009, 11:03 AM
 
Location: PA
2,616 posts, read 3,922,512 times
Reputation: 465
And we shouldn't read shakespear in Elizabethan English either. Screw the Iambic Pentameter. We should just translate everything into clear english.

Infact it should be clear to anyone on the street, so it should include "My bad (Eve after she ate the apple), wuzz-up(Samuel after God talks to him as a boy), your trippin' (Noah after God tells him to build a 750 ft boat on land), she's tor' up from the flo'r up (this would work great for Jezabel), Wahatzabbeee (just cuz its fun to say)". lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2009, 01:46 PM
 
Location: Missouri
661 posts, read 1,030,427 times
Reputation: 303
Language is constantly evolving. I used to be a stickler for correct spelling and grammar until I realised that in just a few short years, words appear and disappear.

The Bible is difficult enough to understand without having to translate the language.

I just wonder if there isnt a little snobbery or elitism going on, as if quoting it in Olde Englishe adds to the mystique, the ambience, the authenticity.

It just looketh plain silly to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2009, 02:11 PM
 
Location: Tulsa
2,529 posts, read 3,793,202 times
Reputation: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Many people use the KJV because, at the time, it was the best translation out there. They just haven't realized that there are better translations that are based off of earlier manuscripts.

The KJV was based largely off of Erasmus' compilation. The modern translations are based off of manuscripts that are simply much older, and closer to the source than the KJV.
Could you please tell me which translations you are referring to? I have always used the KJV, and I wouldn't give my bible up for anything because I have so many notes and highlights in it, but I would like an easier to read version at times. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2009, 02:34 PM
BST
 
Location: Powell, TN
451 posts, read 1,019,987 times
Reputation: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
Could you please tell me which translations you are referring to? I have always used the KJV, and I wouldn't give my bible up for anything because I have so many notes and highlights in it, but I would like an easier to read version at times. Thanks!
Try this link www.blueletterbible.com 14 translations including Latin Vulgate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top