U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2009, 08:57 AM

4,683 posts, read 3,763,150 times

Advertisements

This was on my mind when I woke up this morning. Perhaps from a dream, or perhaps from a dream because of all the good people I have met on this board, I would list names but I don't want to forget someone ....
I have been very impressed with many of your posts and ideas, you offer some open minded insights and clearly many of you are basing your decisions on logic and reason as opposed to superstition and emotion. And you put up with me so far WOW Even more you inspire me and force me to think (Something some religions have told me not to do)

OK here it is. I searched around to make sure that as far as I can tell, this was not posted already (I read so much that it is possible I read this somewhere, maybe years ago and then suddenly remembered it) Although I cannot find it now This is just something on my mind, something to ponder and I hope discuss (but not cuss)
Apologies otherwise
IF you have heard this or read it somewhere, please let me know where so I can reference it for future use. Thank You.
__________________________________________________ _______

A PARABLE

THE GOLD MOUNTAIN TOP

Outside of our town is a mountain. The Mountain is not huge, but the mesa on the top requires a verticle climb, so few have ever attempted it and fewer have made it. But the stories, going back to my grandfather's time, tell of gold on the mesa, gold on the top of this mountain, at the apex, so much gold it is said that the early prospectors could not carry it all. I have read history books of our town and state. No gold was ever found there, but the legend lives on. Legend that makes people talk, talk of going up that mountain one day and coming down with more gold than Midas.
But a few say there is no gold, they point to all the scientific evidence, the fact that no one has ever brought gold down from it, the fact that the geological makeup of our land is not conducive to the formation of Gold.
Still, I had to find out. SO I went up the mountain, and it was a very difficult journey. At the top of the mountain, I found rocks, scrubbrush, a few bones, but no gold. I dug into the ground with my folding showel. No Gold. I looked under rocks, through dirt and sand, no gold. I scooped up some samples to take back, just in case, but again no gold. As the sun arced over the sky I began the descent to be back home before dark.
I felt like a fool. There was no gold. I felt like a fool for believing it was there. At least now I know for certain.
I told my friend. He could not believe I actually went up the mountain. In fact he deinied that I actually did go up the mountain, because, he said, if I had, I would be holding gold now.
Months later, many more would deisbelieve my story, insisting that gold is covering the mountain. Perhaps I did not look in the right place, they would say. Or, perhaps , they would suggest, I never went up the mountain at all. Some even said that I had gold but was trying to fool, or decieve them into believing otherwise, just to hoard it all for myself.
Months then years passed. No gold appeared from the mountain, but the legend continued.

One day a stranger showed up in town. He was holding a class, telling us all the ways to get around the hazards of the mountian and get to the gold. The cost of the class was $100, which he assured us we would more than make up when we followed his methods and reached the mountain top to claim the gold that was there waiting for us.
Now I see people spending money they don't have to seek something that does not exist.
I tired to warn them, but they don't listen. They need that gold so bad, they will do anything now to get it.
I wish the gold were there. It would solve a lot of our problems. It would make life easy, so we think. Financially at least. But I have learned that it is not. SO I must sit back and watch the despair of my fellow man as one by one they learn that too.

Last edited by Reads2MUCH; 02-09-2009 at 02:34 PM.. Reason: spell check
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 09:40 AM

2,065 posts, read 4,174,036 times
.... if there is such a thing as a "straw man story"... you've just told it.... or Maybe it was the greedy who "mislead" the naive into thinking it was something hidden, a secret place, that only those who are able to risk the climb would find it, you know... liars, deceivers... just another way to hide something.... create a myth... false trails, dead-ends, which discourages most... and who wants to look like a fool?

Sometimes it's right under our nose.

Old 02-09-2009, 02:31 PM

12,550 posts, read 13,181,270 times
this reminds me of that song that was popular when I was growing up about some valuable treasure that was buried under a certain stone, and armies went to war to fight for the land and when the rock was finally turned over ..."Peace on Earth" Was All it Said

Listen, children, to a story
That was written long ago,
'Bout a kingdom on a mountain
And the valley-folk below.

On the mountain was a treasure
Buried deep beneath the stone,
And the valley-people swore
They'd have it for their very own.

So the people of the valley
Sent a message up the hill,
Asking for the buried treasure,
Tons of gold for which they'd kill.

Came an answer from the kingdom,
"With our brothers we will share
All the secrets of our mountain,
All the riches buried there."

Now the valley cried with anger,
"Mount your horses! Draw your sword!"
And they killed the mountain-people,
So they won their just reward.

Go ahead and hate your neighbor,
Go ahead and cheat a friend.
Do it in the name of Heaven,
You can justify it in the end.
There won't be any trumpets blowing
Come the judgement day,
On the bloody morning after....
One tin soldier rides away.

Now they stood beside the treasure,
On the mountain, dark and red.
Turned the stone and looked beneath it...
"Peace on Earth" was all it said.

Old 02-09-2009, 02:34 PM

12,550 posts, read 13,181,270 times
It also reminds me of that book "The Alchemist" by Paulo Cohelo, where after running around all over the world looking for gold, he finds that all the treasure is right in our own backyard, right in our own hearts, but we have to grow enough within ourselves to reap the harvest of gold. I love that book!

Old 02-09-2009, 03:21 PM

4,512 posts, read 6,597,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
It also reminds me of that book "The Alchemist" by Paulo Cohelo, where after running around all over the world looking for gold, he finds that all the treasure is right in our own backyard, right in our own hearts, but we have to grow enough within ourselves to reap the harvest of gold. I love that book!

Lovely Princess, all those loving that book (and the author*, btw.) should seek and find each other, wherever we may live ... and thus really change our living conditions according to our (meaning: everyone's) needs.

*Paulo Coelho spent quite some time in mental institutions.

Old 02-09-2009, 03:31 PM
BST

451 posts, read 1,023,181 times
...and yet those who are in it for more than just gold are simply euphoric about the exhilirating climb, the great views, the intangible benefits they're receiving from attempting something greater than themselves...

Old 02-09-2009, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BST View Post
...and yet those who are in it for more than just gold are simply euphoric about the exhilirating climb, the great views, the intangible benefits they're receiving from attempting something greater than themselves...

sad having to share this "view" with you. daring to be different seems to involve not only putting all one's habit patterns into question, but forsaking them...

our true ancestors were nomads.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:30 PM

3,517 posts, read 11,832,227 times
The real gold is in the person selling the lessons. Nigerian emails?

Old 02-09-2009, 08:06 PM

3,412 posts, read 9,052,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
You don't believe in those? My bank account is building up

Old 02-09-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post

No. Kenyan intellect. Try Binyawanga Wainaina, for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality