U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-09-2011, 05:57 PM
 
Location: Missouri, USA
3,923 posts, read 2,725,939 times
Reputation: 1829

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
That is probably because our society is ever increasingly distancing themselves from any God. We as a society have grown morally reprehensible, and prefer the company of others who will not make us feel bad about our deterioration by bringing God into the picture. Many men and women today are morally dysfunctional, having no real system of morals they adhere to nor do they wish to conform. And while nonconformity is at many times liberating, the loss of moral standards is to say the least, depressing.

Now this is not to say that all atheists live without morals or even that they live immoral lives. Just that they do not have that "God is watching you" mentality that tends to keep many God fearing people somewhat in check. So atheism is attractive because it gives off that feel good feeling that no matter what you do, there are no consequences and there is no God to answer to for your mistakes. Makes it easier to let go and just do whatever you want without feeling you have done anything wrong. Which makes it the perfect choice for today's society.

This is of course just my opinion. I could be wrong.
I agree that we are becomming steadily more corrupt in some ways as a society. Prostitution is legal, so long as someone says they are making a pornography video. People have been given more voting rights and access to information about who to vote for, yet are voting less. People are incredibly wasteful of natural resources on an individual basis. I would think, on average because things are becoming cheaper, that people waste more than we used to, even though people do recycle more often.

On the other hand, there are consequences to answer for without a belief in God, as well as with a belief in God. I think some people want to be punished. This could give someone the rationale to believe they can make up for what they've done by being punished. To look at things from a more humanistic approach could be to realize that people can never make up for evils they've done, except by not doing them again.

You've got to admit, most people want to be punished for their crimes at least to some extent. They never want to deal with the consequences, but they want to feel like they've made up for them. I heard somewhere that much of the time, serial killers aren't caught unless they become careless enough, almost as though they want to be caught.

Also, I am not badmouthing confession. I think that confession is a good idea. If people feel like they have a duty to confess their sins, they'll be more emberassed about doing them. However, if people do not have to tell a person about their sins, if they essentially feel that they can put off their sins until the afterlife, some people won't have a problem with that. They'll go from believing in religion, to kind of believing in religion, to the point where their sins become bad enough that they won't believe in religion, and then they're home free! People do tend to believe what is most convenient. We become atheists if it makes us feel better. We become religious if it makes us feel better (I think). Some personality types just don't think about the future much, until it happens.

If someone starts off as an atheist, and stays on this path, they'll know deep down every evil they've done, and they'll know that what's done is done. They can't make up for it, except by not doing it again. That's my theory anyway (I could be wrong, no disrespect meant).

I would think that the idea of God watching over someone would help folks who truly believe in God, but may not be helpful for people why say they are Christians for a matter of convenience, but really don't believe in it. In short I think it best if such people are honest with themselves. If people honestly believe in God, go for it, but it would be better to be an atheist than to use God as a scapegoat. If such is the case, just be honest with yourself. I'm sure God was never meant to be a scapegoat. Be a good person merely to be a good person. Don't be a slimeball, merely because it is bad to be a slimeball.

Last edited by Clintone; 06-09-2011 at 06:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-09-2011, 06:03 PM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
30,038 posts, read 30,671,240 times
Reputation: 12213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
That is probably because our society is ever increasingly distancing themselves from any God. We as a society have grown morally reprehensible, and prefer the company of others who will not make us feel bad about our deterioration by bringing God into the picture. Many men and women today are morally dysfunctional, having no real system of morals they adhere to nor do they wish to conform. And while nonconformity is at many times liberating, the loss of moral standards is to say the least, depressing.

Now this is not to say that all atheists live without morals or even that they live immoral lives. Just that they do not have that "God is watching you" mentality that tends to keep many God fearing people somewhat in check. So atheism is attractive because it gives off that feel good feeling that no matter what you do, there are no consequences and there is no God to answer to for your mistakes. Makes it easier to let go and just do whatever you want without feeling you have done anything wrong. Which makes it the perfect choice for today's society.

This is of course just my opinion. I could be wrong.
You are wrong....Read this... Societies worse off 'when they have God on their side' - Times Online
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2011, 06:03 PM
 
Location: The Island of Misfit Toys
2,767 posts, read 2,189,831 times
Reputation: 2341
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Ahhh.....but there are more single women in church than men.

It doesn't necessarily mean they believe. They're just hiding from men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2011, 10:27 PM
 
Location: USA
870 posts, read 807,889 times
Reputation: 288
Some women learn the hard way that the bad-boy image they so much admire can result in serious financial loss via theft, physical harm via habitual loss of temper and violent tendencies, or imprisonment via illegal activities. Unfortunately some of these bad-boy loving women learn nothing since it unfortunately results in their death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2011, 10:48 PM
 
Location: NC, USA
7,088 posts, read 12,698,087 times
Reputation: 3975
I dunno about that stuff. I have been atheistic since I was about 15. I have never tried to hide my disbelief, I don't flaunt it, but, if the subject comes up, well....I'm really not as shy as some would think. It has worked in my favor more than a few hundred times, It has been my experience that a lot of girls go for the "bad boy" type. I came out as an Atheist in the early 60's, I'm not quite sure why I waited so long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2011, 10:51 PM
 
2,379 posts, read 2,605,381 times
Reputation: 1186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
On the other hand, there are consequences to answer for without a belief in God, as well as with a belief in God...

I think it best if such people are honest with themselves. If people honestly believe in God, go for it, but it would be better to be an atheist than to use God as a scapegoat. If such is the case, just be honest with yourself. I'm sure God was never meant to be a scapegoat. Be a good person merely to be a good person. Don't be a slimeball, merely because it is bad to be a slimeball.
All of it was well put - I just quoted my favorite parts.
IMO, a belief in God reflects one's hopes, fears & feelings in relation to oneself & others.
So, sometimes a belief in God is better & sometimes worse than no belief in God.

I see things similarly. Some religious beliefs tend to shift spiritual responsibility, creating a scapegoat, which is not true spirituality, IMO. It also detracts from honesty. I believe we all are good - & want to do good - it's built-in. Of course, what we define as good, varies. When somebody interrupts us from doing good, to tell us how to do good -which we value over our own natural inclination to good, then some goodness is lost. Yet, I also see that values are important, especially as a foundation in youth - & religious organizations often help establish that foundation of values.

A comment about what attracts women...(IMO)
Women tend to be more attracted by good conversation.
IMO, people who are brave enough to honestly explore thoughts & feelings about God, spirituality & everything tend to be more attractive,
because they're more capable of intimate conversation.

I wonder... How important is good conversation to you guys?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2011, 10:52 PM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
30,038 posts, read 30,671,240 times
Reputation: 12213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radrook View Post
Some women learn the hard way that the bad-boy image they so much admire can result in serious financial loss via theft, physical harm via habitual loss of temper and violent tendencies, or imprisonment via illegal activities. Unfortunately some of these bad-boy loving women learn nothing since it unfortunately results in their death.
I hope that in light of what I posted above you are not implying that atheists are the "bad boys" of society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2011, 11:15 PM
 
Location: USA
870 posts, read 807,889 times
Reputation: 288
Quote:
sanspeur wrote: I hope that in light of what I posted above you are not implying that atheists are the "bad boys" of society.

Not at all. It's just that I knew this woman who kept saying that religious men seemed effeminate. That she equated the gangsta type with the ideal or the epitome of masculinity. What transpired in her life in relation to such gangsta types wasn't pretty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2011, 11:19 PM
 
Location: Valencia, Spain
13,842 posts, read 9,648,146 times
Reputation: 2391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Now this is not to say that all atheists live without morals or even that they live immoral lives. Just that they do not have that "God is watching you" mentality that tends to keep many God fearing people somewhat in check.
That's right! We're good because we wan't to be good and feel it's the right thing to do..as opposed to being good because we think some invisible 'loving' deity will torture us for eternity if we aren't good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2011, 12:01 AM
 
Location: Missouri, USA
3,923 posts, read 2,725,939 times
Reputation: 1829
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post
All of it was well put - I just quoted my favorite parts.
IMO, a belief in God reflects one's hopes, fears & feelings in relation to oneself & others.
So, sometimes a belief in God is better & sometimes worse than no belief in God.

I see things similarly. Some religious beliefs tend to shift spiritual responsibility, creating a scapegoat, which is not true spirituality, IMO. It also detracts from honesty. I believe we all are good - & want to do good - it's built-in. Of course, what we define as good, varies. When somebody interrupts us from doing good, to tell us how to do good -which we value over our own natural inclination to good, then some goodness is lost. Yet, I also see that values are important, especially as a foundation in youth - & religious organizations often help establish that foundation of values.

A comment about what attracts women...(IMO)
Women tend to be more attracted by good conversation.
IMO, people who are brave enough to honestly explore thoughts & feelings about God, spirituality & everything tend to be more attractive,
because they're more capable of intimate conversation.

I wonder... How important is good conversation to you guys?
I'm not religious. I don't exactly think about sprituality, but I do think about other things which are very, very important to me. They might be considered spirituality. I believe that everything effects everyone, so I try to see how things fit together. I spend time trying to see things from everyone's point of view. I think about the universe as a giant clock, where everything fits into place, everything has a destiny. I think about humanity, working together over the millenia, not just to survive, not just some brutal mouth to feed, but finding ways to feed their families, working together to help one another. As the universal clock tics, they grow. We are no better than them, and they no better than us, merely different, strange and mysterious.

I think that, if we learn about our ancestors, we can learn about who we are, which to me, are endless wanderers, never at ease, always searching, over plains with minds begun as blank slates, filled with all that we see.

We are built from the land, and always have been, mind and body. It changes us as we grow. It becomes us.

We are an insane people, our minds speeding and leaping about like tree tree frogs with attention deficit disorder, and our insanity is our greatest gift.

The wise folk change themselves to suit the world. The fools try change the world to suit themselves, and we are wonderful fools, who can do impossible things, like for example, flying to the moon, because of our foolishness.

I love thinking about humanity.

I think about how socio-cultural relationships happen. I watch for patterns in society. I'd like to think I'm pretty good at understanding how others think (hopefully). If not I'd like to become that way. I like talking to others about this, but on a much smaller scale, just anything related to why people do things.

That might be spirituality. I am not sure.

Last edited by Clintone; 06-10-2011 at 12:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top