U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 04:56 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,445,954 times

Advertisements

Gaps in space as well as time. Transitional fossils could be found on other Planets. I say that the Hindu way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 05:20 PM

307 posts, read 432,437 times
Richard Dawkins has clay feet. His militant atheism, and his arrogance, are universally acknowledged. You should try reading the publications that pull his arguments to shreds. Unfortunately they never receive the publicity that is afforded to Dawkins.

Old 02-11-2009, 06:03 PM

30,041 posts, read 30,728,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth7 View Post
Richard Dawkins has clay feet. His militant atheism, and his arrogance, are universally acknowledged. You should try reading the publications that pull his arguments to shreds. Unfortunately they never receive the publicity that is afforded to Dawkins.
Yeah right. Are they unbiased or all on creationist literature and web sites? I will willingly read and consider those publications that are not produced by people of religion, so pass 'em on down.

Edit....Oops I misread ...I saw Darwin instead of Dawkins...

Last edited by sanspeur; 02-11-2009 at 06:42 PM..

Old 02-11-2009, 06:22 PM

Am I correct? Dawkins is demanded to post-Cavendish concessions to the chemical evolution of the biotropy in the Cosmos. But, Carl Sagan has clay feet too.

Old 02-11-2009, 06:24 PM

7,916 posts, read 16,424,786 times
elizabeth7 wrote:
Quote:
His militant atheism, and his arrogance, are universally acknowledged.
I've often noticed that when one particular group doesn't like another one they'll use terms like "militant" quite often. I've heard similar descriptions of gays and lesbians as well as those who support equal rights for women. If you can't come up with a legitimate criticism for something or someone you don't like, the easiest response is simply to call them a name. I've read some of his books, which I think are excellent by the way, but I do think he can sound condescending to people who are religious sometimes but his arguments in support of atheism are well thought out and expressed very clearly. However, I don't know what a militant atheist would even be, or a militant feminist or gay person either, for that matter. Does standing up for what you believe put you into the category of a militant?

Old 02-11-2009, 07:29 PM

4,708 posts, read 7,570,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth7 View Post

Yeah, Oxford U. employs a lot of quacks.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:35 PM

7,916 posts, read 16,424,786 times
tgnostic wrote:
Quote:
Transitional fossils could be found on other Planets.
So we might find the transitional fossil between land dwelling animals and whales on Mars?

Old 02-11-2009, 07:47 PM

All I've got to say: March 2nd at the Capital Coal Building.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:22 PM

6,343 posts, read 8,501,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
This is a nice piece of writing.

He makes the point that you never find a fossil of a mammal in a rock stratum you wouldn't expect. And that 3,000 million years of geologic time is plenty of time to have evolved something complicated like an eye organ.

The Improbability of God

//
For me, the important point is that, even if the physicist needs to postulate an irreducible minimum that had to be present in the beginning, in order for the universe to get started, that irreducible minimum is certainly extremely simple. By definition, explanations that build on simple premises are more plausible and more satisfying than explanations that have to postulate complex and statistically improbable beginnings. And you can't get much more complex than an Almighty God!
//

I do not care for Dawkins...granted, I like him better than I do Hitchens, who I have no respect for, as at least Dawkins does not hate religious people as much as he does religion, while Hitchens seems to think anyone praying to anything is a danger to society and should be sent to Siberia to be "re-educated" (Hitchens himself was once a die-hard communist)

Dawkins I don't care for...I don't hate him, but most of what he writes is based only on a narrow, literalist interpretation of divinity....yes, evolution is a fact, AND?...

I am also not the only one saying that. Anthony Flew, a former atheist (now kind of deist, kind of agnostic) has come down hard against Dawkins as well.

Anyway...here is what physicist Stephen Hawking says about god...never does he claim that there is no god, only that a creator must have set the rules in the beginning and sticks to them!
YouTube - Stephen Hawking interviewed on "Yair Lapid" he says it at 4:45 second in...so, the Gnostic idea that the creator is not omnipotent is compatable with Hawking's ideas...what would Dawkins say about that?

Want to read something profound about the merits of faith and religion and Myth? Read anything by Joseph Campbell. Dawkins could never hold a candle to him!

Old 02-12-2009, 09:05 AM

4,654 posts, read 3,744,649 times
THANKS Park Twain I had seen and read that before, but it is an interesting read.
IN regards to paleontology, we must remember that many manay extinct species have no fossil record. Imagine trying to put a jigsaw puzzle together with less than 10% of the pieces. For a fossil to form, conditions MUST be exactly right, temperature, humidity, pressure....so yes there are countless species for which we have no fossil record and probably never will have. If A creature dies off, very rarely will any evidence exist millions of years later.
And the very nature of science is that when we prove something, or show a trend in something that supports a theory, then that is the direction we go.

VIctorian Punk
I agree, I like Dawkins better than Hitchens simply because Hitchens cannot seem to seperate diety from religion, negating the levels of belief, such as someone believing in a higher power than calls them to do good but has nothing to do with religion. Some see Religion as, on one end a waste of time, and the other end malignant, with varied levels of mediocrity and harmfulness in between. I also like the fact that Dawkins does follow more of a scientific theorem in his writings.
If we found a missing piece to the fossil record and Dawkins had to change his theory , he would, and then he would update it and move on based on scientific proof.
I am still waiting for Christian mythists to do that in the face of the evolutionary facts.
I agree with you about the other writer; Joseph Campbell should be required reading, and when I ask Christians about him, many have never even heard of him. Is he discouraged in Christian religious circles? (I knew Darwin was but I did not know about Campbell.)

Last edited by LargeKingCat; 02-12-2009 at 09:44 AM.. Reason: Mis-spell-ing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality