U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 07:50 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,150,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Besides a lack of hope in anything but the natural world?
Why should we have "hope" in the supernatural? We don't need it, we don't miss it, and it doesn't make us bad people to not believe in it. In fact, it makes them better people for not believing, because they know there's no second chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 07:55 AM

2,633 posts, read 4,451,523 times
Quote:
Besides a lack of hope in anything but the natural world? I would suggest that by not giving them any religious education you are, in fact, teaching them that there is no such thing as the supernatural.
I don't think this was part of the premise.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:41 AM

3,628 posts, read 9,028,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post
I don't think this was part of the premise.
no kidding, I'm pretty sure they HAVE given them some religious education, and this kid isn't buying any of it!

Old 02-11-2009, 09:35 AM

1,365 posts, read 1,929,499 times
I think the only way to be a true believer is to be given all the options and allowed to decide for yourself what you want to believe. Indoctrinating your children at a young age will not be the way I go with my children (someday). I'll educate them on the different beliefs of people (whether it be Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, atheism, etc.) and hopefully they can come to a rational decision themselves. If they choose a religion, then that is fine, if they choose to be atheists, that is fine also.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:44 AM

30,038 posts, read 30,688,375 times
There is no such thing as the supernatural, as any of my godless kids will affirm. I am proud that my kids learned to think for themselves and came to that conclusion on their own, in spite of their mother's beliefs.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:46 AM

2,633 posts, read 4,451,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird82 View Post
I think the only way to be a true believer is to be given all the options and allowed to decide for yourself what you want to believe. Indoctrinating your children at a young age will not be the way I go with my children (someday). I'll educate them on the different beliefs of people (whether it be Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, atheism, etc.) and hopefully they can come to a rational decision themselves. If they choose a religion, then that is fine, if they choose to be atheists, that is fine also.
Same here. Being taught about different religions is right there with being taught about the traditions of different cultures(and not just about Christianity). A parent should be happy that their children has grown, not that they have grown to be carbon copies of them.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:51 AM

7,916 posts, read 16,406,197 times
kdbrich wrote:
Quote:
It is sad though, that your sister and her husband have apparently raised godless kids.
Actually if there is no God in the first place, which is my opinion, then all of us including you are godless. Just a thought.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:40 PM

3,721 posts, read 3,327,173 times
Quote:
Besides a lack of hope in anything but the natural world? I would suggest that by not giving them any religious education you are, in fact, teaching them that there is no such thing as the supernatural.
If your kid (or your nephew) were to announce that he wanted to go to church, and join a youth group, what would your reaction be? Would you be surprised? Would you in any way discourage him?

Absolutley not. I'd never discourage anyone from practising any form of religion, except one that exploits such as cults. They could worship cow dung as far as I'm concerned. I just don't think people should ram their religion down ones throat or judge others who prefer not to believe.

Old 02-11-2009, 01:06 PM

40,057 posts, read 29,731,202 times
That 15-year-old may change his mind about things in time, or he may not. In either case, I think the parents need to be congratulated for raising a child capable of thinking independently.

Old 02-11-2009, 02:00 PM

3,721 posts, read 3,327,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
That 15-year-old may change his mind about things in time, or he may not. In either case, I think the parents need to be congratulated for raising a child capable of thinking independently.
His parents were not too happy with his decision but knew there was no use forcing him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality