U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 05:29 AM

3,721 posts, read 3,325,498 times

Advertisements

I am so proud of my 15 year old newphew. While he and his parents were having discussions with the priest about his coming confirmation, he announced there and then he didn't believe in God. My sis and her hubby went balistic then took him home. Bottom line is there will not be a confirmation. Makes sense since my sis isn't catholic and hubby never goes to mass. I'm not a believer and decided when I was round about his age although in my case I believe in some form of higher power, just don't follow the teachings of the bible nor do i believe in it. His younger sister does alter service even though she hates it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 06:39 AM

4,669 posts, read 3,902,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
I am so proud of my 15 year old newphew. While he and his parents were having discussions with the priest about his coming confirmation, he announced there and then he didn't believe in God. My sis and her hubby went balistic then took him home. Bottom line is there will not be a confirmation. Makes sense since my sis isn't catholic and hubby never goes to mass. I'm not a believer and decided when I was round about his age although in my case I believe in some form of higher power, just don't follow the teachings of the bible nor do i believe in it. His younger sister does alter service even though she hates it.

I feel the same about the confirmation issue as I do baptism...if he really feels that way, why go through the motions? By doing so, it's a mockery of it.

It is sad though, that your sister and her husband have apparently raised godless kids.

Old 02-11-2009, 06:43 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,953,107 times
Kudos to the kid for being brave enough to stand up for his beliefs.

Old 02-11-2009, 06:45 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,953,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
It is sad though, that your sister and her husband have apparently raised godless kids.
For the love all things shiney.

Old 02-11-2009, 06:49 AM

7,088 posts, read 12,702,149 times
Quote:
interesting, I would have said it was a good thing. Children not spoon fed mythology from an early age, usually learn to think for themselves, as a basic rule, religion doesn't foster rational thought, belief in some invisible thing out there that may/maynot, zap you into some imaginary hell for sins real or imaginary, is a bit disconcerting. As the old saying from the 60's and the free speech movement goes "a man without jesus is like a fish without a bicycle"

Old 02-11-2009, 06:59 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,149,282 times
Quote:
I feel the same about the confirmation issue as I do baptism...if he really feels that way, why go through the motions? By doing so, it's a mockery of it.

Oh gosh. I raised godless kids too. How could they possibly have turned out to be responsible, upstanding, law-abiding, educated adults? Never in trouble with the law, no illegitimate children, not on public assistance, gainfully employed, happy, healthy, well-adjusted...

Inconceivable.

Congrats, Raggy. You obviously have a smart and logical nephew.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:06 AM

13,036 posts, read 21,523,143 times
You should be very proud indeed. So many kids get brainwashed and pressured into religion because the parents force them into it.

There aren't enough people with minds of their own and to stand up to your parents is quite hard on this kind of issues.

Logic and reason prevailed. Congratulations.
I always find it so hypocritical how many people who don't even believe in God will get confirmed, married in church, christen their children and have church funerals. I still believe the vast majority of people are at best agnostic but can't even admit it to themselves never mind to others.

All because of tradition and societal pressure. It seems so utterly fake and it is nice to see some people ( especially age 15) have more common sense and honesty than to simply follow Mom and Dad's dogma.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:15 AM

Quote:

My sister and her husband have raised relly great kids. They aren't any problem at all and are very gentle respective kids although my nephew can be a bit of a handful, but he's a good boy. But I was pretty much the same as him at his age and questioned everything. And what's wrong with being godless, you make it sound dirty.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotted1 View Post
For the love all things shiney.
I tell ya, eh?

Old 02-11-2009, 07:28 AM

4,669 posts, read 3,902,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
My sister and her husband have raised relly great kids. They aren't any problem at all and are very gentle respective kids although my nephew can be a bit of a handful, but he's a good boy. But I was pretty much the same as him at his age and questioned everything. And what's wrong with being godless, you make it sound dirty.

Besides a lack of hope in anything but the natural world? I would suggest that by not giving them any religious education you are, in fact, teaching them that there is no such thing as the supernatural.
If your kid (or your nephew) were to announce that he wanted to go to church, and join a youth group, what would your reaction be? Would you be surprised? Would you in any way discourage him?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality