U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 05:53 PM

140 posts, read 177,381 times

Advertisements

The real purpose of religion is controlling through coercion.

However, religion can not achieve this purpose without making you believe first, because everything of religion are all lies. So, it has the hypocritical lies as well to bring you in.

That's why when you first heard about God, it was all about the omni-craps of a perfect God. Then, once brainwashing took effect on you, all you see is the true face of religion: you are bad with tons of "sins", tyrannic God is watching over you, and send you to hell ("uh, after your death, that is"), ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 10:42 PM

7,530 posts, read 4,022,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW123 View Post
The real purpose of religion is controlling through coercion.

However, religion can not achieve this purpose without making you believe first, because everything of religion are all lies. So, it has the hypocritical lies as well to bring you in.

That's why when you first heard about God, it was all about the omni-craps of a perfect God. Then, once brainwashing took effect on you, all you see is the true face of religion: you are bad with tons of "sins", tyrannic God is watching over you, and send you to hell ("uh, after your death, that is"), ...
The real purpose of religion is to believe in something that is greater than yourself. Some people see their religion as they worship the sun, the moon, the stars, mother earth. It is a the passion of the spirit to bring warmth to ones heart; to their soul. Religion is worship of a belief and a systems of belief that will set us apart from others.

However, a persons passion can be mis guided as those that end their lives along with countless others in search for the greater peace of death. (9/11) I do not know this god. I do not understand this belief.

I understand we are to be held responsible for our actions, even as we hold those responsible for theirs. Some people may even describe prison as hell.

Just for fun, just now I google searched, 'true face of religion'. What came up was fascinating. I thought I may add talking points to the discussion, but the search itself has left me speechless.

Why is the word religion always associated with the God of Abraham? When religion is any point of worship. Case in point, google the phrase, 'true face of religion'.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:11 AM

7,088 posts, read 12,698,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by braderjoe View Post
He is your Creator...not your drinking buddy We are but like a germ compared to Him
methinks thou lacketh the accumen to truly appreciate the wisdom of Ptsum.

Old 08-05-2009, 03:04 PM

10 posts, read 35,471 times
well as somebody else put it, if Lord Jesus or an angel appeared in front of you, you'd proably be a bit nervous or awe struck. In fact, " fear of the lord" isn't fear like scared fear, its fear as if not wanting to offend Him. Also, the bible says it is good to fear (or not wanting to offend) the Lord to keep you from sinning.

So pretty much God fearing means not wanting to offend him.

Old 08-05-2009, 03:21 PM

222 posts, read 501,724 times
When I hear "He Is A God Fearing Man" then I think "Another god's delusion, may be because of his parents, or may be because of himself and his education". It's kind of mean of me, I'm trying not to think this way, but can't. Sometimes I think "That guy was deceived by his parents and priests".

Old 08-05-2009, 03:31 PM

4,636 posts, read 4,946,459 times
Well, this dude may have been smote...smited ? at a time when he was "relieving his male tensions," if you get my drift. God, having dealt with the likes of Onan, decided to zap the guy, and that smote sting, of course, instantly put the fear of God into our hero.

Old 08-05-2009, 03:48 PM

7,088 posts, read 12,698,087 times
What Do You Think Of The Phrase "He Is A God Fearing Man"?

Most of the time, when I hear this phrase, it is coming from someone whose opinion I wouldn't trust on any subject at all. If this is the best thing you can think up to say about him, he must not be worth much.

Old 08-05-2009, 05:06 PM

4,512 posts, read 6,579,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
What Do You Think Of The Phrase "He Is A God Fearing Man"?

Most of the time, when I hear this phrase, it is coming from someone whose opinion I wouldn't trust on any subject at all. If this is the best thing you can think up to say about him, he must not be worth much.

do i get this right?
guess i do, right?

Old 08-05-2009, 05:13 PM

9,362 posts, read 22,337,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
The term God fearing is often used as a compliment to someone's devotion to God but it's always struck me as a strange thing to say. Why would someone be afraid of this God who supposedly loves us? I suspect that the origins of this phrase are rooted in one of religion's most important functions which is of course to keep everybody in line by having the threat of punishment hanging over our heads.
By the way, as I am writing these words the wind is furiously whipping the tree limbs I can see through the window. I wonder if The Big Fella is trying to instill a little fear in me for starting such a blasphemous thread.
To me, "fearing" means respect. But if someone tells me that they are "God fearing", it is a turnoff. I don't have the need to prove my faith to anyone. It's between me and God. If someone feels the need to prove it by making that statement, I am suspect of them. They don't need to prove it to me by their words. They should just live their life as an example of their beliefs.

Old 08-05-2009, 05:29 PM

7,916 posts, read 16,397,088 times
drdash8 wrote:
Quote:
well as somebody else put it, if Lord Jesus or an angel appeared in front of you, you'd proably be a bit nervous or awe struck.
The problem with that statement is that it only seems to happen in movies and not real life. This is an old thread that I'd forgotten that I'd started although it was only a few months ago. I thought it was a pretty good question at the time and I still do today. I really don't think that anyone would feel fear if they felt a genuine bond that is similar to a loving Mother and child. The fear tactic is all about getting people to behave and follow certain rules as opposed to establishing a loving relationship. As I've said many times before, religion is all about controlling human behavior and keeping people in line by keeping a threat over their heads. This is very different from a parent who loves their child and would in fact sacrifice their own lives to save them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or