U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 06:34 PM

4,349 posts, read 6,516,383 times

Advertisements

If it is about someone I don’t know, I would have a negative view and would put up my guard, if it was someone I knew it wouldn’t change the view I already had of them. I wonder if these “god fearing” people are also afraid of other myths?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 06:36 PM

4,669 posts, read 3,938,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
drdash8 wrote:

The problem with that statement is that it only seems to happen in movies and not real life. This is an old thread that I'd forgotten that I'd started although it was only a few months ago. I thought it was a pretty good question at the time and I still do today. I really don't think that anyone would feel fear if they felt a genuine bond that is similar to a loving Mother and child. The fear tactic is all about getting people to behave and follow certain rules as opposed to establishing a loving relationship. As I've said many times before, religion is all about controlling human behavior and keeping people in line by keeping a threat over their heads. This is very different from a parent who loves their child and would in fact sacrifice their own lives to save them.

Once again, I'll explain it because you seem to have missed the point.

Fear in a Biblical sense is about an overwhelming realization of power. Not being scared because you didn't know what would happen--but just knowing that the one you're in the presence of is powerful beyond comprehension.

The Bible doesn't present God as some kind of buddy that we can just hang with. A healthy respect for the power of God is a good thing.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:52 PM

4,349 posts, read 6,516,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Once again, I'll explain it because you seem to have missed the point.

Fear in a Biblical sense is about an overwhelming realization of power. Not being scared because you didn't know what would happen--but just knowing that the one you're in the presence of is powerful beyond comprehension.

The Bible doesn't present God as some kind of buddy that we can just hang with. A healthy respect for the power of God is a good thing.
So you fear the myth’s power, but don’t fear the not knowing what will happen to you. If I read between the line, I see this myth is not a buddy you can call, but just watch to make sure he is not on one of his killing sprees.
I am just glad he is your myth not mine.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:58 PM

4,669 posts, read 3,938,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
So you fear the myth’s power, but don’t fear the not knowing what will happen to you. If I read between the line, I see this myth is not a buddy you can call, but just watch to make sure he is not on one of his killing sprees.
I am just glad he is your myth not mine.

I know that I'm forgiven for my sin. I thank God that he was merciful enough to die to forgive me of my sin. However you want to phrase it, I'm thankful that come judgment day I won't be seeing his wrath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or