U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-11-2009, 10:05 AM
 
Location: Nashville, Tn
7,916 posts, read 16,394,895 times
Reputation: 5442

Advertisements

The term God fearing is often used as a compliment to someone's devotion to God but it's always struck me as a strange thing to say. Why would someone be afraid of this God who supposedly loves us? I suspect that the origins of this phrase are rooted in one of religion's most important functions which is of course to keep everybody in line by having the threat of punishment hanging over our heads.
By the way, as I am writing these words the wind is furiously whipping the tree limbs I can see through the window. I wonder if The Big Fella is trying to instill a little fear in me for starting such a blasphemous thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-11-2009, 10:14 AM
 
4,669 posts, read 3,899,929 times
Reputation: 409
Would you be scared if a magnificent angel appeared in front of you? I imagine it'd probably make your voice quiver just a bit. You may not be in fear of it...but you'd likely be in awe.

It's the same way with God. It's not fear--but awe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2009, 10:14 AM
 
37,475 posts, read 25,217,301 times
Reputation: 5852
It reflects a profound ignorance and misunderstanding of God and an insufficient knowledge of our responsibility to avoid whatever consequences await our failure to develop sufficient spiritual maturity in our consciousness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2009, 10:19 AM
 
Location: Nashville, Tn
7,916 posts, read 16,394,895 times
Reputation: 5442
MysticPhD wrote:
Quote:
It reflects a profound ignorance and misunderstanding of God and an insufficient knowledge of our responsibility to avoid whatever consequences await our failure to develop sufficient spiritual maturity in our consciousness.
I can understand that point of view and it makes alot more sense than instilling a sense of fear in people.

kdbrich wrote:
Quote:
Would you be scared if a magnificent angel appeared in front of you?
I'd be much more fearful of the heart attack I was having. Fortunately, such an event seems extremely unlikely but I do understand your point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2009, 11:28 AM
 
1,788 posts, read 4,147,366 times
Reputation: 1232
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
The term God fearing is often used as a compliment to someone's devotion to God but it's always struck me as a strange thing to say. Why would someone be afraid of this God who supposedly loves us? I suspect that the origins of this phrase are rooted in one of religion's most important functions which is of course to keep everybody in line by having the threat of punishment hanging over our heads.
By the way, as I am writing these words the wind is furiously whipping the tree limbs I can see through the window. I wonder if The Big Fella is trying to instill a little fear in me for starting such a blasphemous thread.
When someone says that, I know the "god-fearing man" is probably not a person that I should invite over to a party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2009, 11:46 AM
 
Location: Log home in the Appalachians
10,494 posts, read 10,067,507 times
Reputation: 6838
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
The term God fearing is often used as a compliment to someone's devotion to God but it's always struck me as a strange thing to say. Why would someone be afraid of this God who supposedly loves us? I suspect that the origins of this phrase are rooted in one of religion's most important functions which is of course to keep everybody in line by having the threat of punishment hanging over our heads.
By the way, as I am writing these words the wind is furiously whipping the tree limbs I can see through the window. I wonder if The Big Fella is trying to instill a little fear in me for starting such a blasphemous thread.
Interesting topic MG,I've often wondered myself why is it that one has to fear their God,if you have done nothing wrong in the eyes of your God then why should you fear him,that makes no sense to me other than to use it as a controlling factor,I do not fear my Creator as a matter of fact I have a very good relationship with my Creator and if he were ever to show himself to me I would invite him over to my fire and invite him to sit and share a meal with me and maybe even enjoy a good conversation,hey who knows,anything is possible.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2009, 12:03 PM
 
995 posts, read 1,174,726 times
Reputation: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Interesting topic MG,I've often wondered myself why is it that one has to fear their God,if you have done nothing wrong in the eyes of your God then why should you fear him,that makes no sense to me other than to use it as a controlling factor,I do not fear my Creator as a matter of fact I have a very good relationship with my Creator and if he were ever to show himself to me I would invite him over to my fire and invite him to sit and share a meal with me and maybe even enjoy a good conversation,hey who knows,anything is possible.....
He is your Creator...not your drinking buddy We are but like a germ compared to Him
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2009, 12:08 PM
 
2,955 posts, read 6,627,476 times
Reputation: 1924
"God-fearing man" is just good ol' boy speak for "one of us".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2009, 12:22 PM
 
Location: God's Country
21,416 posts, read 29,529,737 times
Reputation: 29917
When the Bible speaks of fearing God it means to reverence God, have respect for Him and His holiness. They only people who need to be afraid of God are people who don't believe in Him, they should be afraid with good reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2009, 12:23 PM
 
4,669 posts, read 3,899,929 times
Reputation: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
When the Bible speaks of fearing God it means to reverence God, have respect for Him and His holiness. They only people who need to be afraid of God are people who don't believe in Him, they should be afraid with good reason.


Yup. It would be a terrible thing to fall into the hands of an angry God. I am thankful Jesus is between me and God's wrath.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top