U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 02-12-2009, 09:16 PM
 
Location: part of the Matrix--for now!
1,030 posts, read 1,148,732 times
Reputation: 327

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
ID or Evolution, I don't see why both can not exist together.
If you believe that then you don't understand evolution. The two are mutually exclusive.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-12-2009, 09:46 PM
 
4,512 posts, read 6,583,539 times
Reputation: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietzschean Gangsta View Post
If you believe that then you don't understand evolution. The two are mutually exclusive.

begging to disagree, although difficult to "explain", even to a profile(r) named N.G.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2009, 10:07 PM
 
37,546 posts, read 25,261,889 times
Reputation: 5857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietzschean Gangsta View Post
If you believe that then you don't understand evolution. The two are mutually exclusive.
Not even close, NG . . . the only parts of evolution theory that are incompatible with ID are the ones that science cannot prove or establish anyway. They just assume and mask their ignorance behind mathematical jargon that sounds scientific.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2009, 10:08 PM
 
42 posts, read 57,811 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Day That Never Comes View Post
I think Evolution & Intelligent Design are both real and go hand and hand. God created what we know. He put the cycle in motion and then evolution took its course. Its all part of Gods plan. I will never understand the arguments for one and against the other when it is so clear to me that they work together.
Wrong. Genesis 2:7 explains how God created man and it wasn't from the womb of an ape or unknown animal. Evolution is not only a lie, it's an embarrassing lie which would be hilarious if it weren't so tragic that people buy anything someone with a Ph.d. says. Then they all look foolish when they later have to admit how wrong they were.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2009, 10:24 PM
 
5,532 posts, read 5,721,468 times
Reputation: 3146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietzschean Gangsta View Post
99% of all life that has ever existed on Earth is extinct
And new life is created all the time. Its a process of creation and destruction that is constantly at work. Why do you have difficultly accepting that this process could have been created by God?

Creative design is a theory that contradicts evolution. In the evolution process, there are humble beginnings. Life starts with primitive one cell organisms. They evolve into more complex organisms, adapting and changing all the time. With time, these living organisms become better and more refined, while those who don't adapt, die. The process however, is quite random. There is no final "goal".
On the other hand, the creative design has well defined goals (is not random) and there is no transition from one state to a more "refined" one. And creative design doesn't necessary mean that the world was created in 6 days, but in a limited time nevertheless, while with evolution we are still in the middle of the process.

Last edited by oberon_1; 02-12-2009 at 11:37 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2009, 10:30 PM
 
42 posts, read 57,811 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
And new life is created all the time. Its a process of creation and destruction that is constantly at work. Why do you have difficultly accepting that this process could have been created by God?

Creative design is a theory that contradicts evolution. In the evolution process, there are humble beginnings. Life starts with primitive one cell organisms. They evolve into more complex organisms, adapting and changing all the time. With time, these living organisms become better and more refined, while those who don't adapt, die. The process however, is quite random. There is no final "goal".
On the other hand, the creative design has well defined goals (is not random) and there is no transition from one state to a more "refined" one.
Do you know how new life is created? New human life is always created by human parents. It always has been and always will.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2009, 10:50 PM
 
11,145 posts, read 13,541,011 times
Reputation: 4209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carico View Post
Wrong. Genesis 2:7 explains how God created man and it wasn't from the womb of an ape or unknown animal. Evolution is not only a lie, it's an embarrassing lie which would be hilarious if it weren't so tragic that people buy anything someone with a Ph.d. says. Then they all look foolish when they later have to admit how wrong they were.
You should study more. Your view is scary in its profound lack of understanding the world in which you live. Don't listen to Ph.D.'s. Study the evidence. Intelligent Design has yet to stand up to scientific inquiry. Many books have been written on it from all perspectives - more than any creation story from one of thousands throughout the history of mankind.

If the process of evolution created this world in which we live, isn't that even more incredible and amazing than having to believe some mystical woman molded everything? In my opinion, that process is the most beautiful, intelligent design one could imagine.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2009, 12:27 AM
 
Location: vagabond
2,631 posts, read 4,834,606 times
Reputation: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietzschean Gangsta View Post
If you believe that then you don't understand evolution. The two are mutually exclusive.
only if you are using the already-mentioned stereotypes and generalizations, which are not actually representative of a good number of people that actually do believe in both of them.

Quote:
Evolution is not only a lie, it's an embarrassing lie which would be hilarious if it weren't so tragic that people buy anything someone with a Ph.d. says. Then they all look foolish when they later have to admit how wrong they were.
i believe that God very much wants us to use the scientific knowledge that we have. certainly science doesn't know everything, and even manages to get things wrong once in a while. but evolution is one of the foundations of modern biology; it has been proven to be real, whether some people like to believe it or not.

aaron out.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2009, 05:01 AM
 
2,255 posts, read 4,798,441 times
Reputation: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
i believe that God very much wants us to use the scientific knowledge that we have. certainly science doesn't know everything, and even manages to get things wrong once in a while. but evolution is one of the foundations of modern biology; it has been proven to be real, whether some people like to believe it or not.

aaron out.
But herein lies the problem. The Creationist mythical story of 6 literal days or 144 hours and then poof, everything magically appears is not only unscientific, but it's also not biblical. One person on this forum told me there were no growth rings in the old growth forest trees when God made the old growth forests. If that were true it would be recorded in the fossil record somewhere. I mean, just one 10 foot diameter Redwood tree fossil would do the trick !!! Why is it that the 6 creative periods are viewed as 6 literal 24 hour days and yet the God's 7th day of rest is still ongoing at this time and in existance today ???

Can you understand why there are critics.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2009, 06:02 AM
 
4,669 posts, read 3,905,750 times
Reputation: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
i seem to remember one of the last times that the overwhelming scientific evidence was ignored by the church, though back then, the church controlled the governments and had the power to torment and execute those that didn't believe that the earth was flat or at the center of the universe. they even had the power to brush that knowledge under the rug, hiding it from the majority of the christian world for hundreds of years.

luckily, nowadays, there isn't that kind of abuse of power, though it still exists in smaller ways.

eventually, the church recognized that the earth was a sphere (more or less), and that it was not even at the center of our galaxy, much less the universe. maybe the church will one day recognize that evolution is as much a part of our daily lives as is gravity.

until then, people will continue to be polarized into either an 'ignorant, logic-denying believer' or a 'disrespectful, ammoral atheist' because the whole issue has been politicized, and there is hardly any middle ground for anyone to stand on, and certainly no middle ground that is supported by any vocal majority.

aaron out.

what "evidence" are you pointing to? If anything, I should be the one lecturing you on ignoring evidence. There is an embarrassing lack of evidence for evolution. The best you've got is that all the different species kind of look like each other. I call that evidence for design.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top