U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 09:05 PM

2 posts, read 2,375 times

Advertisements

Thank you Carico for doing more than any atheist possibly could to turn people away from belief in Jesus.

Thank you for your amazeing witnessing against Christ and Christianity as detailed below.

Thank you for your constant ridiculous posts on mulitiple websites that increases doubt amongst the saved.

Thank you for having undoubtably caused thousands to question thier belief in the Judeo-Christian god and Jesus.

Thank you for believeing that knowledge and science are counter to Gods will and somehow threaten God.

Thank you for showing that your god is weak, impotent, limited, and a liar when he said we had free will.

Thank you for your rejection of all science even while you use it to post on a computer.

Thank you for your childish need to refute ideas and theories you know nothing about with psuedo-science and nonsense.

Thank you for your constant spewing of rants against reality and your insistance that to be a true Christian reality has to be denied.

Thank you for doing for us what we cannot do ourselves, as atheists we are disbelieved, but then you as a christian show them yourself that Christianity cannot be believed.

Thank you for the threads I have read where you were cited by name as contributing to peoples decision to become an atheist.

Thank you for ruining the ideal of Christianity in so many people's eyes, you are doing more for the atheist cause than I ever could. I bow down to my superior...

Again my thanks Carico, no one I know has caused more disbelief in Christianity than you have, hopefully you are a poe and you'll take this as a compliment. However if your actually a christian as most believe you are...well...your doing it wrong, and going to hell I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 12:52 PM

1,458 posts, read 5,121,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietzschean Gangsta View Post
Human beings are apes, genius.

Not really, except for conclusions and assertions of scientists. Any connection is supplied by men or women. They form an opinion, and insert it as a conclusion or link.

It's just as easy to say it's not so, as to say it is so.

Man would not even have a genus except that some scientists decided to assign a genus name to him.

Even the relation of plants is merely due to man-assigned names. Otherwise each plant is simply it's own kind.

The planet is loaded with thousands of species, and man tends to feel the need to categorize them.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:22 PM

2,631 posts, read 4,838,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manquaman View Post
I would have to say that the 'now' part of my statement comes from the fact that I have not been a part of the debate for very long. My realm of study for the past few years has been the Middle Ages after the fall of Rome and a century after the Protestant Reformation, up to the Enlightenment period of the 17th century.

The Church was vehemently opposed to the use of Guttenberg's press to make versions of the Bible in common languages like German where the average, literate (and there were not many, including clergy) individual could read the 'word of God' and consider their own interpretation. Many people were killed for doing this. Latin was viewed as the only language for the 'word of God', partly for the reason that few people knew it and a small minority could decide what the interpretations were going to be.

Early scientists like Copernicus, Gallileo and Ptolemy took great risks to make the assertions they did, and they knew that the Church had to allow them to publicize their findings before they thought to publish anything. Not getting the Church's consent would have caused them to be viewed as heretics, most likely excommunicated, and even burned at the stake. Thank goodness this did not happen.

So, when I say 'now' I am referring to what I call the 'loop hole' that is religion; in that everything is God's plan eventually and we are too ignorant to understand it. It's like the argument in the Bible that only the prophets who make a prophecy that comes true are true prophets while all the others are thus proven false prophets. To me that is exactly like saying that I can always predict when a roll of the dice will come up seven, so long as you are willing to accept that all the other times the dice come up something else I was not predicting then.

I am happy to hear that religious people can accept evolution. The concept seems contradictory to Genesis, but to me that is the basis of religion. Religious people seem to require faith in a larger plan to help them to be more secure in their lives. I don't have a problem with makes an individual secure, useful, and a positive part of society. I do have a problem with the exclusionary mechanism that religion is by separating right thinking people from wrong thinking people who are destined for punishment in the hereafter, as well as the attitude that the earth and everything in it was put here for man's whimsy, and that we are somehow above all other creation. That is a very dangerous way to think in my opinion.
while i'm in agreement with the idea that organized religion has done some atrocious things to those that dared question the world around them, i doubt very much that this means that science is only now beginning to be viewed as a medium through which God works. in fact, i would bet that this ideal has been around longer than has the polarized dogma that science is evil.

either way, i'm not trying to start an argument with you; i'm merely bringing up what i feel is common sense and fairly intuitive–that the majority of folks out there have no qualms with science and religion coexisting peacefully.

those of us that believe in both and can be honest with ourselves admit that we don't know everything, and that we don't understand everything about the creation, or about how our understanding of science fits into the picture.

Quote:
It's interesting though, that the transition fossils just haven't been found. Every one of them that I've heard of turn out to be hoaxes. Lucy...Nebraska Man....etc..etc....
sigh. again, you aren't much taken with science, we can tell; it is fairly obvious with the fact that you refuse to study the topics that you so love to debate, proclaim yourself expert witness of, and then use to accuse others of ignorance. seems kind of hypocritical to me, and we all know what Jesus thought of hypocrites.
Quote:
Not really, except for conclusions and assertions of scientists. Any connection is supplied by men or women. They form an opinion, and insert it as a conclusion or link.

Man would not even have a genus except that some scientists decided to assign a genus name to him.

Even the relation of plants is merely due to man-assigned names. Otherwise each plant is simply it's own kind.

The planet is loaded with thousands of species, and man tends to feel the need to categorize them.
hmmm. you do realize that the reason that man has put them into categories in our quet to understand things is because they are in fact, in the same category, don't you?

for example, a rose is much more similar to a daisy than it is to a gazelle, thus, it is categorized with the daisy. if this increases our knowledge, then it increases our potential to understand God, and our potential to understand His plan. therefore, it is a good thing, and to shun science like a plague is only fit to reduce a certain percentage of the population to the intelligence and social/spiritual capacity of the animals around them, which would bring them closer to the natural man, and the natural world around them, which if you remember from sunday school, is contrary to the purpose of our existence.

aaron out.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:22 PM

30,041 posts, read 30,723,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvaden View Post

Are you willfully ignorant? There is plenty of evidence right down to the DNA level that man is in fact one of the great apes.

Old 02-18-2009, 03:16 AM

2,633 posts, read 4,454,709 times
It's the "humans are not animals" syndrome.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:33 AM

354 posts, read 678,574 times
Originally Posted by mdvaden

I TOtally agree. man i hated those out of this world scientific names i have to freaking memorize in my biology tests.

i have found many flaws of evolution. the most recent is its non application or presence in other planets in our solar system.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:52 AM

9,616 posts, read 11,081,216 times
Default Another run at a Distinquished Argument award.

Talk about watching monkeys at play....

The idea of organizing the observable organisms on his planet into like groups was done in order to allow those of us who are curious and open-minded to study them. This concept of investigation and communication is obviously scary to others. When a mint plant, with it's particular square stem and characteristic flowers, is called "Mint" here, and "Flower of Hades" somewhere else, and "Wart-Weed" somewhere else, it's good to realize it's the same danged plant, so the scientific names allow the more rational amongst us to co-study them, world-wide, and report our findings in some sort of logical format. and so, knowledge advances. Oh. My. God.

Of course, you guys would stop such pursuits, I realize, so yep, just call 'em whatever. That'll work! Hey; I know: let's do the same with, say, life-threatening bacteria that bacteriologists world wide are trying to manage to prevent a global pandemic. (Am I using words too big for you, baket?)

It also leads us (well, some of us more rational types, anyhow) to realize that "like" (i.e.: similar, or near-identical and yet slightly different) flowers, and "like" animals obviously came from common ancestors. Easily proven (there's that ugly word again) nowadays by simple DNA genome mapping and analysis. it's called Evolution within a genera.

I've also heard that incredibly weak pseudo-argument before from frantic, denialist theists, that there's "no such thing as a species!!!". As in: no inter-relationships between any organisms. Under that nut-ball theory, all life is just a big jumbled mass of unidentifiable, unrelated organisms, just as God created them one morning, with no order or dignity.

This approach is also recognized as: When cornered, change the terms of the argument to suit your perspective. And common-sense and reality be damned!"

It's too bad that, as you admit here, biology class was so hard for you, baket. Sadly, the consequences for your knowledge base are obvious. Perhaps you'd be netter not engaging in topics well out of your league? Just like me staying away from threads on sewing. Just a polite suggestion.

But otherwise, as with most of your presentations, baket, this last post here is quite convincing. Really!

Old 03-26-2010, 09:54 AM

310 posts, read 489,178 times
So baket since your most recent "discovery" about evolution is that it hasn't occurred anywhere else in the universe, perhaps you'd like to post photos of all the extraterrestrial sites you've visited in order to study evolution. Heck, just one photo of you on Mars or Venus will make me a believer. Just one, that's it. But unless you can provide proof of your ignorant, wildly amusing claims, I'd suggest you stop posting now in order to salvage whatever dignity or smidgen of respect you might have left here.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:14 AM

4,072 posts, read 4,971,495 times
Baket have you ever even been to other planets. Did your exploits on Jupiter show that evolution doesn't work there? You're making wildly arrogant assumptions by saying evolution doesn't work on other planets. There are millions upon millions upon millions of planets in the universe. Until you've actually gone and studied all of them and empirically proven evolution didn't happen there, your statement will have nothing of substance. Also, how do you know other planets work the same as earth and explain to us how you know life on earth would be the same as it would be/is on Uranus.

Last edited by agnostic soldier; 03-26-2010 at 10:31 AM..

Old 03-26-2010, 11:58 AM

354 posts, read 678,574 times
precisely my point my (not so) dear fellow posters. until evolution is proven in other planets of our solar system, i refuse to believe it is how science presumed EVERYthing came to be on earth. capiche? peace be with us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality