U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-26-2010, 01:05 PM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
30,043 posts, read 30,755,704 times
Reputation: 12223

Advertisements

Is your God wasteful baket? Why would he create all the other planets if not for life? I would say that if they are barren, as you say they are, then it is one more proof of the non existence of God, don't you agree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-26-2010, 01:53 PM
 
31,385 posts, read 31,151,815 times
Reputation: 14878
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Is your God wasteful baket? Why would he create all the other planets if not for life? I would say that if they are barren, as you say they are, then it is one more proof of the non existence of God, don't you agree?
And all those poor dinosaurs, 700 to 1400 separate species, gone! One can only wonder what sin they might have committed.

On edit:

That was 150 million years of wasted effort, hell god's penultimate achievement has existed for only a mere 200,000.

Last edited by ovcatto; 03-26-2010 at 02:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2010, 02:12 PM
 
3,614 posts, read 2,959,951 times
Reputation: 909
This always makes me wonder, Steve. Where do Adam and Eve come in? Eden? Original Sin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2010, 03:10 PM
 
Location: Somewhere out there
9,616 posts, read 11,088,964 times
Reputation: 3718
Default An offer politely made. Again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baket View Post
precisely my point my (not so) dear fellow posters. until evolution is proven in other planets of our solar system, i refuse to believe it is how science presumed EVERYthing came to be on earth. capiche? peace be with us.
You say it needs to be proven on other planets? Why?

So.. despite my simple explanation, you still want to hide under that blanket assumption that the way it worked here on Earth, with the DNA molecule that specifically arose here, and perhaps only here, must also happen everywhere. What if life elsewhere is based on silicon, or ammonia or Unknownium 5, and operates and evolves in a different manner? What if it doesn't even evolve elsewhere? just one simple basic but reproducing life form. The "evolution" opportunity requires certain logical things to exist.

For diversity to happen, you either need a MAGICAL hyper-uber-super-Creator (totally implausible by any standards, of course...) who had a few extra days on his hands, and could somehow physically make everything happen, though leaving most of it unfinished for some reason, all over the Universe simultaneously. Wow!

But for Him there's less evidence than we have for Batman, or, alternately...

....you have a truly simple and ultimately logical Lego™-like building system that takes advantage of the mutations we've actually seen and recorded within DNA and RNA. A simple trial and error system which has, BTW, been proved in Chicago by Dr. Richard Lenski's elegant 22 year long study.

But that would require that you read and comprehend the study. Want the link? I.e: want to learn?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2010, 05:35 PM
 
354 posts, read 678,938 times
Reputation: 81
i dont know sanspeur. i will ask God if i get lucky to see Him(i doubt that though, with the way i am wasting my life) when i die.. k? then i will call u collect.

rifle: i think i read your post somewhere that u say evolution is a universal fact or something like that. well, it really isn't, innit? seeing as i am writing this, the only one with a sign of life in our universe is our planet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2010, 06:37 PM
 
3,614 posts, read 2,959,951 times
Reputation: 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by baket View Post
evolution is a universal fact or something like that. well, it really isn't, innit?...the only [planet] with a sign of life in our universe is our planet.


We have exhaustively searched one planet for life: ours. Doesn't take much to find it. There are several planetary bodies in our solar system that could harbor life, including Titan and Europa, both of which are covered in ices.

Outside of our solar system, we have only discover a mere 450+ planets, the vast, vast majority of which are super-sized gas giants like Jupiter. We have found only a small handful of terrestrial planets, mostly because Terra planets are smaller than gas giants. The smallest terrestrial planet we've found is about the size of Neptune (about 7 times the size of Earth).

Considering the four sextillion plus stars in our universe, I think it's a little soon to say our planet is the only one with signs of life. We simply haven't been looking all that long at all that many places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2010, 06:41 PM
 
Location: Somewhere out there
9,616 posts, read 11,088,964 times
Reputation: 3718
Quote:
Originally Posted by baket View Post
i dont know sanspeur. i will ask God if i get lucky to see Him(i doubt that though, with the way i am wasting my life) when i die.. k? then i will call u collect.

rifle: i think i read your post somewhere that u say evolution is a universal fact or something like that. well, it really isn't, innit? seeing as i am writing this, the only one with a sign of life in our universe is our planet.
OK; YOU WIN by default (as in me running out of the great hall of debate, sobbing at having felt some of my native intelligence being sucked right out of my head, being so close to an intellectual black hole as it were...).

What you don't know can hurt you, apparently. What YOU don't know is killing me. Congrats. I can't argue with someone who proudly holds and uses your kind of mental processing. I say: stick with this format for all your future discussions. Kill 'em with emptiness.

Last edited by rifleman; 03-26-2010 at 07:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2010, 06:54 PM
 
598 posts, read 811,911 times
Reputation: 139
Intelligent Design is just another version of now dead Creationism.

In either cases, "the theory" does not go any further than "God did it".

In the Pennsylvania case. The religious parent's proposal was to teach Intelligent Design as a "competing theory" in science class -- repackaging religion under the cover science.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2010, 07:33 PM
 
Location: Richland, Washington
4,072 posts, read 4,974,781 times
Reputation: 2479
Quote:
Originally Posted by baket View Post
precisely my point my (not so) dear fellow posters. until evolution is proven in other planets of our solar system, i refuse to believe it is how science presumed EVERYthing came to be on earth. capiche? peace be with us.
Maybe you should study harder in biology. Evolution is based on 150 years of rigorous testing and observation which have all given evidence that proves evolution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2010, 08:19 PM
 
Location: alabama
200 posts, read 259,192 times
Reputation: 55
I took biology. After arguing with the prop. he told me he didn't care what I believed just give him the answers he wanted. I got an A

Last edited by mmm...mabeynot; 03-26-2010 at 08:20 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top