U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 08:16 AM

26 posts, read 47,665 times

Advertisements

I think Evolution & Intelligent Design are both real and go hand and hand. God created what we know. He put the cycle in motion and then evolution took its course. Its all part of Gods plan. I will never understand the arguments for one and against the other when it is so clear to me that they work together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 08:18 AM

4,669 posts, read 3,903,673 times
Evolution directly contradicts the Biblical accounts of creation. I don't know if you believe the Bible or not...but they are not compatible.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Evolution directly contradicts the Biblical accounts of creation. I don't know if you believe the Bible or not...but they are not compatible.
I am Catholic but I don't believe the bible is the word of God. I believe God did create the Heavens and the Earth and everything we know, he built the building blocks. But I also believe that the species on Earth evolved and continue to evolve to better survive and flourish. It is all part of Gods plan.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:29 AM

4,669 posts, read 3,903,673 times
Isn't an official position of catholicism that the Bible is the word of God? What about the rest of the stuff that the church teaches? Don't you need to follow the rules to "belong to the club" (as a catholic friend told me)?

And what's your number one piece of evidence that convinced you that evolution is real?

Old 02-12-2009, 08:32 AM

2,631 posts, read 4,833,296 times
Quote:
evolution directly contradicts the biblical accounts of creation as interpreted by the majority of current christian religions. it does not contradict all of them.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:45 AM

30,038 posts, read 30,684,539 times
Quote:
Simple answer...Where there is a conflict the bible is in error.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Isn't an official position of catholicism that the Bible is the word of God? What about the rest of the stuff that the church teaches? Don't you need to follow the rules to "belong to the club" (as a catholic friend told me)?

And what's your number one piece of evidence that convinced you that evolution is real?
I follow what I believe in. That is what's great about God, he gave us a brain and free will to make our own decisions. I go to church, I pray, I've read the bible and I've studied science. With all that information I've made up my own mind on things. I don't care what the Catholic Church says, they (or any other church) are not the word of God. The bible was written by men, men who had their own beliefs and interests.

The only evidence I need for evolution is just to look how the world works. Look at the diversity in the animal kingdom. Some animals of the same species are now different because certain environmental issues changed them in order to survive (getting stuck on a different island, etc.). Study fossils and compare them to today's living relatives and that's all you need. With that said, all living creatures must have a parent, that is where God comes in.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:55 AM

4,638 posts, read 3,732,971 times
I think the Post was more about Evolution and Intellegent Design as opposed to Creationism.
I remember once seeing Carl Sagan on a talk show (I think it was Donahue back in the 70's) Someone from the audience questioned him about how his timeline contradicts Creationism, and he gave the reply "Who is to say that God did not put all this into motion somewhere?" His answer bridged more of the gap between intellegent design and creationism.
Unfortunatley, as Dawkins points out (and many others), Intellegent Design falls short because we as humans have bodies which are far from perfect, as this theory (ID) would suggest. Out frontal lobe is too large in proportion to our brains, our adrenals are over active and our sex drive is way too high. Given this criticism, we see man as a link on the evolutionary chain to something greater; It would be interesting to see the species of Homo which will inhabit the earth and surrounding planets 100,000 years from now, after millennia of evolution. (IF we do not extinct the planet before then.) Mankind will continue to evolve and change, just as Homo Habilis and Homo Sapiens differ, so would we differ from the next species

Old 02-12-2009, 09:31 AM

37,514 posts, read 25,243,901 times
Evolution and Intelligent Design (the generic idea NOT the Discovery Institute's corrupt Creationism in disguise) are fully compatible . . . they describe the creation of the physical "vessel" into which our Spirit would eventually be "seeded."(Mustard seed parable)

Creationism OTOH . . . describes the "spiritual evolution" of that seed of consciousness (the awakening of awareness and the development of intellectual understanding of our relationship to our Creator) that began not very long ago.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:34 AM

2,631 posts, read 4,833,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
I think the Post was more about Evolution and Intellegent Design as opposed to Creationism.
quite the truth. people seem to have a hard time separating the two. creationism seems to have a very specific doctrine, and a large political agenda. intelligent design means only that it is believed that we were created–whatever the methods used–on purpose, by a being of some sort that is superior to ourselves. all of the remaining details, science, myth, God, gods, etc, can be filled in by the individual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality