U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 03:17 PM

971 posts, read 1,502,568 times

Advertisements

A moving post.
I would say that if there is a God but he's not active in our day-to-day lives, it doesn't make much of a difference whether you believe/worship or not. You'll have to find a source of strength and resolve outside of religion.
For me, it's the realization that no matter how much life sucks some days, most people have it much worse than me. Oh, and a good book of heroic fantasy every now and then helps. I hope you'll find something too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 03:24 PM

4,512 posts, read 6,581,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxolan View Post
A moving post.
I would say that if there is a God but he's not active in our day-to-day lives, it doesn't make much of a difference whether you believe/worship or not. You'll have to find a source of strength and resolve outside of religion.
For me, it's the realization that no matter how much life sucks some days, most people have it much worse than me. Oh, and a good book of heroic fantasy every now and then helps. I hope you'll find something too.

YOU might appreciate this, probably as well:

Jürgen Habermas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-12-2009, 03:35 PM

7,916 posts, read 16,402,170 times
I am sorry you're having all of these difficulties. The truth is that life isn't fair and I think most Christians will agree that believing in God isn't going to going to make life easier or that you'll have better luck. When I feel discouraged I think about how good I've really had it and how much worse it could be. Anyway, I hope things improve in your life. Good luck.

Old 02-12-2009, 03:39 PM

21,417 posts, read 29,542,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I am sorry you're having all of these difficulties. The truth is that life isn't fair and I think most Christians will agree that believing in God isn't going to going to make life easier or that you'll have better luck. When I feel discouraged I think about how good I've really had it and how much worse it could be. Anyway, I hope things improve in your life. Good luck.
Montana I think most Christians will say believing in God does make things easier, but your right,it doesn't mean you'll have better luck and sure doesn't mean bad things won't ever happen.

Old 02-12-2009, 05:48 PM

13,459 posts, read 21,205,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Montana I think most Christians will say believing in God does make things easier, but your right,it doesn't mean you'll have better luck and sure doesn't mean bad things won't ever happen.
I agree It makes it a lot easier for me...in my case, it seems that no matter how bad my situation is there is always a blessing at the end..I may not recognize it at first because He chooses my blessings..not me

Old 02-12-2009, 09:24 PM

3,150 posts, read 2,132,842 times
Thanks all-I appreciate the posts : I DO wish god would choose a blessing for me, even one would be nice instead of hardships all the time. I should have capitalized god, but in my eyes he hasn;t earned it, in fact. he has earned zero reverance from me, as he ignores my prayers or requests for guidance. Do I dare come out and say it- god is a fraud!!!!

Old 02-12-2009, 09:37 PM

21,417 posts, read 29,542,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
Thanks all-I appreciate the posts : I DO wish god would choose a blessing for me, even one would be nice instead of hardships all the time. I should have capitalized god, but in my eyes he hasn;t earned it, in fact. he has earned zero reverance from me, as he ignores my prayers or requests for guidance. Do I dare come out and say it- god is a fraud!!!!
I gotta ask ya, have you ever asked Jesus into you heart and forgive you of your sins? Do you know Him, do you have a personal relationship with Him? Many believers know Jesus as Savior but fail to get to know His ways and character. The more we understand who God is, the more we will hear from Him.
Some times people blame God when bad things happen, but He understands our anger, but we must recognize that our anger obstructs our spiritual ears.
We also have to train ourselves to listen and expect Him to speak to us.
Jeremiah 29:12-13 "In those days when you pray, I will listen. If you look for Me in earnest, you will find me when you seek Me".

Old 02-12-2009, 10:11 PM

3,150 posts, read 2,132,842 times
Well, that's, the problem/ I have asked god for guidance/assistance, and prayed, but they go unanswered. Not sure what else I can do

Old 02-12-2009, 10:21 PM

4,047 posts, read 4,375,557 times
Whether you believe or not, your problems are not going to be taken care of by God. Some may say he will help if you ask, but then there's a conflict because you have free will and so God is not allowed to interfere. Also, there are times when you ask for help but you don't receive. They say God never gives you more than you can handle. Well I don't know what "handle" means, as there have been Christians who commit suicide like any other demographic.

But the point is, it's obvious that God is not making sure the "good Christians" are being rewarded while the "evil heretics" are being punished. So you can't rely on God, or luck, you have to rely on yourself. Belief is not a substitute for responsibility. They say "God helps those who help themselves." That's good advice, because it works whether God exists or not.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:23 PM

42 posts, read 57,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
I must admit, that even tho I Do believe in God ( Supreme Being, Great Spirit etc), I doubt Him at the same time. When look at the world around me, with the near perfection of nature, plus the vastness of the Universe, not to mention the everyday "miracles", and all, I really believe in something greater than ourselves.
That being said I also believe that while God did create the universe, and all it's glories, and while He may love us unconditionally, and wants the best for all of us, he does NOT answer, even the smallest of prayers, that we are bascially "on our own" down here, and if things get tough, too bad for us.
Example, my whole life I have taken great care of my body, thru diet, exercise, no drinking, no drugs, yet I get colitis, and suffer thru 4 surgeries because of it. I also am educated, work hard, do well at my jobs, I have copies of all my reviews as proof, but have been laid off 6 times, with each time getting tougher to recover from.
I pray and ask God for guidance, direction, and answers. My responce: nothing except more bad luck
My take on God is either, He doesn;t care, or that this whole God thing is a sham, that God is nothing more than a crutch humans use to make themselves feel better about the unknown. Either way ,my belief in Him is wavering to the point of near athiesm.
I know life isn;t going to be all seashells and balloons, but it shouldn;t be constant struggle, especially when a person does it "the right way"

Anyone else struggling with this also? I expect to be flamed for this post, but it is how I feel. Not trying to offend on purpose but at my wit's end
God sends rain on the righteous as well as the unrighteous. The wages of sin is death. So we will all die a physical death. We also will experience pain as Jesus did as well. So I read Job whenever I go through a bad time because as Job says; "Does an ox bellow when it has grain?" No, it doesn't. But Job also says in Job 13:15, "I will surely defend my ways to his face. Indeed, this will turn out to be my deliverance, for no godless man would dare to come before him." So we need to be honest with God about our pain because he knows our anger at Him anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality