Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2009, 09:18 AM

7,593 posts, read 6,080,049 times

Advertisements

I was thinking about the signs the American Humanist Association placed on buses in DC.....
Under God: God, Atheism and Buses - On Faith at washingtonpost.com

Now For a while, I have maintained that the religious community has mistakenly believed that they and they alone hold a monopoly on moral standards in life. One one extreme, we see the "religious right" who by characteristic of their actions and beliefs, would seem to assert that not only so they maintain ownership of Heaven but exclusive rights to God as well. to more liberal Christian churches which try to suggest seeing goodness everwhere but still maintain that they represent a perfect God and thus a perfect religion.
The problem is, good and evil are relative moral terms. Humanism, which I both practice and encourage, is widely condemned by many fundamentalist and evangelical Christian and Islamic Movements. To me, Humanism is the ultimate good, because as we as humans are the ultimate species and evolution (so far) on our planet, it falls logically within our responsibility and need to make the world a better place. IF we want the world to be a better place, then we have to make it happen, and first and last , human rights and respect for the sanctity of human life MUST be maintained. (my opinion)
On the other hand, there are many around the world who see the 9/11 hijackers as the ultimate of sainthood and goodness, heroes to be revered. I remember back many years ago, having lunch with a group of men from a local Christian movement (church of Christ) ) they were so pround of the fact that abortion clinics were beign bombed; as one of them said, "Those people are getting just what they deserve" ....
Why associate terrorism with goodness? And what gives some religious group the right to choose life and death for others?
It seems to me that the ultimate in good is not someone who kills, maims, or even tries to sell religion, but rather someone who does the simple deeds of bringing happiness and enrichment to others. I feel good when I go down and help my elderly neighbor get out , go for a walk, take him a few grocieries so he can have a little extra to enjoy. Yet some religious fanatics will say "Why do that, it doesn't get you into heaven?" I guess killing off witches, pagans, jews, hindus, anyone who will not agree with you 100% IS the way?
If so, we as humans need to look at the bigger picture and ask if that is really who we are and more importantly who we want to be ?
TO answer them would be a waste of time, because good deeds need to be done by good people for the sheer pleasure and esoteric goodness of the deeds, and I dont remember having encountered people like that too often in churches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality