U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 11:09 AM

1,113 posts, read 2,217,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I do not fear or worry about death. Contemplating my own death every day is what energizes me, it gets me through the day. I've been long ready to leave this planet with a smile. I have no regrets.

I once read that nothing brings you closer to eternity than travel. To others it may be something else that brings them closer to eternity every day. But, for me, it's always been travel. I've always wanted to travel the world, been there, done that. Just a few little places left to conquer, and at this point, if I get there, fine, if not, fine as well.

But every time I return from a trip somewhere I feel so much at peace that if the pilot were to tell the occupants of the plane that the plane is going to crash and there's no other recourse, I'd have to try hard to suppress the laughter. I would have no other choice but to suppress the laughter, for if I did start laughing, the other occupants of the plane would probably take me for a terrorist, that I had somehow rigged the plane to crash, and I'd be killed by having been beaten to death, pummeled by heavy suitcases over my head, before we crashed.

Giving to others, without expecting anything back in return, is another way I feel less fearful of dying. What a better high, than to give to others!
That is sooooo hilarious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 01:01 PM

12,550 posts, read 13,181,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I have read that the U.S. is the fear-of-dying-capital of the world.
The measure of how much a person fears death, is related to how attached they are to the material world and their physical possessions, and how undeveloped or nonexistent is their understanding and relationship with the spiritual.

So if for the most part the USA is focused on amassing wealth, wallowing in conspicuous consumption, and valuing material possessions; and tends to hold in derision that which is spiritual in nature (seeing the spiritual as mere superstition, something for the ignorant masses who are too stupid to understand science, or think for themselves)....then it makes sense that there is also a great fear of dying side by side with those values.

Not just fear of death, but an overall discomfort, squeamishiness, inability to talk about it, live with it, accept it. USA worships youth, is obsessed with the physical body, degrades elders, throws old people into nursing homes to die, despises anything to do with aging. Many people in USA worship money, have made money their god, the driving force in their lives. Death sort of takes that all away from them. No wonder they fear it.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 02-14-2009 at 01:10 PM..

Old 02-14-2009, 01:07 PM

4,512 posts, read 6,597,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
The measure of how much a person fears death, is related to how attached they are to the material world and their physical possessions, and how undeveloped or nonexistent is their understanding and relationship with the spiritual.

So if for the most part the USA is focused on amassing and valuing material possessions, and tends to hold in derision that which is spiritual in nature (seeing the spiritual as something for the ignorant masses who are too stupid to understand science, think for themselves, mere superstition)....then it makes sense that there is also a great fear of dying side by side with those values.

Not just fear of death, but an overall discomfort, squeamishiness, inability to talk about it, live with it, accept it. USA worships youth, degrades elders, throws old people into nursing homes to die, despises anything to do with aging.

not only the USA, but that's no comfort at all.

Old 02-14-2009, 02:49 PM

706 posts, read 1,317,241 times
Seriously, fear of death is a very rational emotion, and I see it becoming the driving force of human civilization in the future, as religious delusions about an afterlife fade away. Materialism is the only rational hope you have of salvation - it has extended the human lifespan and improved its quality quite a bit over tens of thousands of years, and will continue to do so at an accelerating rate.

This is one of the reasons why free-market capitalism is so important - it is the system that provides the fastest economic growth, and thus the greatest chance of coming up with solutions to your health problems. Who's to say it is impossible to make human beings life 200 and beyond? Except of course the governments would never allow this...

Old 02-14-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Libman View Post
Seriously, fear of death is a very rational emotion, and I see it becoming the driving force of human civilization in the future, as religious delusions about an afterlife fade away. Materialism is the only rational hope you have of salvation - it has extended the human lifespan and improved its quality quite a bit over tens of thousands of years, and will continue to do so at an accelerating rate.

This is one of the reasons why free-market capitalism is so important - it is the system that provides the fastest economic growth, and thus the greatest chance of coming up with solutions to your health problems. Who's to say it is impossible to make human beings life 200 and beyond? Except of course the governments would never allow this...

there used to be the magic adjective "SUSTAINABLE" ... and it was not heeded in the rabid competition capitalists (not the ism) embarked on, not learning from the past at all.

bad bar-gain, tough love.. for the losers.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:27 PM

12,411 posts, read 16,010,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post

So if for the most part the USA is focused on amassing wealth, wallowing in conspicuous consumption, and valuing material possessions; and tends to hold in derision that which is spiritual in nature (seeing the spiritual as mere superstition, something for the ignorant masses who are too stupid to understand science, or think for themselves)....then it makes sense that there is also a great fear of dying side by side with those values.

Not just fear of death, but an overall discomfort, squeamishiness, inability to talk about it, live with it, accept it. USA worships youth, is obsessed with the physical body, degrades elders, throws old people into nursing homes to die, despises anything to do with aging. Many people in USA worship money, have made money their god, the driving force in their lives. Death sort of takes that all away from them. No wonder they fear it.
Part of the problem, as I see it, is that US religions are so full of dogma and myth that it turns people away. There is not the concept of meditation and finding your own way, your own unique path.

There are some very spiritual people in our churches, but I believe often they are that in spite of their religious affiliation, not because of it.

Truly, we are a secular society, which we must be, housing people of so many different cultures and religions.

Many of our religious leaders have made money their god.
If Christians would only follow the literal things Christ said in their bibles and interpret it themselves, through their own logic and not some 'leaders', the religion would have to change a great deal. For the better.

Certainly they would be more tolerant and compassionate.

Maybe that is what death is all about - to give us a fresh start.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:37 PM

hey op, i almost forgot..

christianity has been (supposedly!) the only religion transcending death.

of which a billion-strong christendom no longer seems to know, and obviously is even lightyears away from the desire to reach there again!

Boah!

Old 02-14-2009, 09:21 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,450,456 times
You can't lose though until the time comes that you have to push the emergency button on the train.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:00 PM

16,573 posts, read 20,161,734 times
I once had a home care case, the man was dying, his wife told me as I entered his room: "He's ready to die and wants to die. All his dreams in life have come true. After retiring, he wanted to spend his last years in Hawaii, 12 years in all."

How can I forget the look on his face! It was as if his face was smiling! What a picture of peace and calm!

Memories are all that you have left in the end. That's why I've always claimed that one of the best returns you'll ever get on your investments is travel. The banks can't repossess your memories. When my mother was diagnosed with liver cancer, I set about to make sure my mother had the happiest death possible. And I'm glad I did it. Not sure how much longer she had, we crammed in a trip to Alaska, Hawaii island hopping, the fall colors in New England, the Applachian mountains, two trips to California. On her deathbed, all she ever talked about were those trips we took. I shed no tears at her funeral. If I hadn't had the time to do that for her, I would have cried a river.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:16 PM

3,196 posts, read 4,732,698 times
Am I ready for a happy death?

No. I want to eat food, breathe air, watch tv, drive my car, make love, and post on C-D tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality