Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 09:38 AM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times

Advertisements

I'm too busy enjoying life to worry about death...Worry is a waste of time anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 09:44 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,384,603 times
Bushido (the Samurai "code") instructed the Samurai to meditate on their own death each day.
That way, they could enter battle without fear of death because their own death had already become real and, thus, not frightening.
I wouldn't want to live a life of daily mortal battles, but I think the Samurai had the right idea about death.
Understand that it is coming and that it can come anytime, any day. True realization of this is a good way to get over fear of death or the delusion that desperately clinging to life is a healthy way to live.

To answer the OP: No, I'm not ready for a Happy Death tomorrow - I don't even know what that would be. But I'm ready to live a Happy Life today because I know I may be dead tomorrow.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:48 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,001,605 times
For me, death is nothing but the continuing of the life cycle, everything has it cycles. My physical body is made up of recycled elements that were here 1000's of years ago, so in that sense, nothing dies.
I don't view death as something to be afraid of, no more than I fear waking up in the morning.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:55 AM
BST

451 posts, read 1,202,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
Death is a phase of life, and nothing to be feared. I think I will regret the loss of the people I surround myself with, but recognize it is a natural step and nothing I can change. The Deaths I hate even more are those who go ahead of me. As an introvert I have limited my close friends to just a hand full. Losing them is worst than me dying in my view. Will I be happy to go, depends on the situation. If I am sick, than I would see death as a friend, if I am still running full speed, I might wish for extra time. It will all work out in the wash as our time as humans is just a flash in the pan related to all of time past and present. There is one thing which would be good if I died tomorrow. I would at least be finished working with my in-law’s problems. That is a situation which is hell on earth without question.
I feel for you, man. There comes a point in the dying process when you wish it would "just hurry up already!" If it's any consolation, I've prayed for you and your family since finding out about your situation. Peace.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:11 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
In my mind, death is just a continuation of the cycle.

I do believe our bodies are animated by an eternal 'us'. I did not always feel this way. I almost died twice and although I did not remember where I was, the sense was of something so incredibly marvelous that I really wanted to stay. I came back with no fear. I think if many of us really knew what the future had in store we might not elect to stay here. I think this is why most religions preach that suicide is so horrendous.

To me it is no matter if you are atheist or a 'believer'. It is a part of the nature of things.
I think, as others, live life to the fullest, hurt no one, take wise risks, dig in, enjoy. The joy will just continue on after you leave your body.

What most of us are concerned with is being parted from our loved ones. That causes pain.
A slow wasting away, alzheimers, cancer - these things are painful. The mere knowledge of my death, the inevitable, is not. I trust that Nature knows what it's doing.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:30 PM

23,219 posts, read 29,044,905 times
I do not fear or worry about death. Contemplating my own death every day is what energizes me, it gets me through the day. I've been long ready to leave this planet with a smile. I have no regrets.

I once read that nothing brings you closer to eternity than travel. To others it may be something else that brings them closer to eternity every day. But, for me, it's always been travel. I've always wanted to travel the world, been there, done that. Just a few little places left to conquer, and at this point, if I get there, fine, if not, fine as well.

But every time I return from a trip somewhere I feel so much at peace that if the pilot were to tell the occupants of the plane that the plane is going to crash and there's no other recourse, I'd have to try hard to suppress the laughter. I would have no other choice but to suppress the laughter, for if I did start laughing, the other occupants of the plane would probably take me for a terrorist, that I had somehow rigged the plane to crash, and I'd be killed by having been beaten to death, pummeled by heavy suitcases over my head, before we crashed.

Giving to others, without expecting anything back in return, is another way I feel less fearful of dying. What a better high, than to give to others!

Old 02-13-2009, 08:33 PM

709 posts, read 1,498,462 times
I'll die a happy man knowing that I found a way to trollject Anarcho-Capitalism into every singe forum thread I ever replied to!

Old 02-13-2009, 08:43 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,520,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Libman View Post
I'll die a happy man knowing that I found a way to trollject Anarcho-Capitalism into every singe forum thread I ever replied to!

oh you did that, really?

Old 02-13-2009, 08:55 PM

105 posts, read 253,241 times
Oh, I'm always ready to have a happy death: Tomorrow.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:18 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,397,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Libman View Post

Simple, easy goals are always a good thing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality