U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 04:22 AM

16,502 posts, read 20,055,588 times

Advertisements

Every day you don't contemplate your own death is a totally wasted day.

Read that statement many years ago and it took some time for it to finally register, and since then, realizing my death could come at the next intersection I'm crossing in my car (I almost met my death 6 years ago by a stray bullet near a drive-by shooting site), I've been preparing, working towards having the happiest death possible, where I'll be laughing, with perhaps tears in my eyes, as my heart stops beating.

I work in a long-term care facility and I see too many people facing unhappy deaths everyday, clinging, clinging, clinging to "life" for what reason! These people are a constant inspiration for me to do all I can, if that should be my destiny one day, to have a happy death, laughing, not as a result of dementia or Alzheimers, on my way out of this poor-excuse-for-a-planet. And I've done a pretty good job of over the years, preparing for that final laughable day. The key, for me, is never looking back and regretting that I didn't take advantage of the opportunities that were presented to me at the time.

So how many others are in a position, today, to smile or laugh if your Doctor surprises you by telling you you only have X number of days to live? I realize this is not a popular subject as I have read that the U.S. is the fear-of-dying-capital of the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 05:16 AM

24,639 posts, read 24,088,616 times
I don't contemplate death at all. I simply enjoy my life.
If and when I die, I'll be dead.
What's the big deal, we're all going to die.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:00 AM

4,669 posts, read 3,908,470 times
I don't want to die. We all have the instinct wired into us to live. Not to mention that I'd hate to see my wife and kids w/out a husband and father.

But I know that I'll be with my Lord when I do.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:36 AM

3,031 posts, read 7,873,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I don't contemplate death at all. I simply enjoy my life.
If and when I die, I'll be dead.
What's the big deal, we're all going to die.
Preach it, sister! (so to speak)

I agree, I don't think about dying, unless I'm about to do something dangerous (which, since my children are grown now I occasionally do )

I think the last time I actually thought about death would be when I was traveling alone in Central America. Not exactly the safest environment for a lone woman, but you know...sometimes you just have to take risks to have fun.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:12 AM

4,349 posts, read 6,493,097 times
Death is a phase of life, and nothing to be feared. I think I will regret the loss of the people I surround myself with, but recognize it is a natural step and nothing I can change. The Deaths I hate even more are those who go ahead of me. As an introvert I have limited my close friends to just a hand full. Losing them is worst than me dying in my view. Will I be happy to go, depends on the situation. If I am sick, than I would see death as a friend, if I am still running full speed, I might wish for extra time. It will all work out in the wash as our time as humans is just a flash in the pan related to all of time past and present. There is one thing which would be good if I died tomorrow. I would at least be finished working with my in-law’s problems. That is a situation which is hell on earth without question.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:51 AM

7,916 posts, read 16,416,370 times
tijlover wrote:
Quote:
That really seems like a strange statement. I see it the other way around. What's the point in contemplating your own death, wouldn't life be much more fulfilling if you just lived it and made the most of it?

Old 02-13-2009, 09:56 AM

42 posts, read 57,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

Read that statement many years ago and it took some time for it to finally register, and since then, realizing my death could come at the next intersection I'm crossing in my car (I almost met my death 6 years ago by a stray bullet near a drive-by shooting site), I've been preparing, working towards having the happiest death possible, where I'll be laughing, with perhaps tears in my eyes, as my heart stops beating.

I work in a long-term care facility and I see too many people facing unhappy deaths everyday, clinging, clinging, clinging to "life" for what reason! These people are a constant inspiration for me to do all I can, if that should be my destiny one day, to have a happy death, laughing, not as a result of dementia or Alzheimers, on my way out of this poor-excuse-for-a-planet. And I've done a pretty good job of over the years, preparing for that final laughable day. The key, for me, is never looking back and regretting that I didn't take advantage of the opportunities that were presented to me at the time.

So how many others are in a position, today, to smile or laugh if your Doctor surprises you by telling you you only have X number of days to live? I realize this is not a popular subject as I have read that the U.S. is the fear-of-dying-capital of the world.

I haven't read the responses of atheists yet, but I can guarantee you that 99% of them will say they are ready and don't fear death. They have to in order to try to keep Christians from telling them about heaven.

Psalm 36:1-2, "An oracle is within my heart concerning the sinfulness of the wicked; there is no fear of God before his eyes. For in his own eyes, he flatters himself too much to hate or detect his own sin."

So as the adage goes; "ignorance is bliss." But not for long.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:05 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,954,422 times
Life's too short to be wasted fearing the inevitable. I'd rather spend my days happy, enjoying my family, pets, the world around me then obsessing about it being over.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:30 AM

3,031 posts, read 7,873,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carico View Post
I haven't read the responses of atheists yet, but I can guarantee you that 99% of them will say they are ready and don't fear death.
Ready? No, I'll never be "ready" to die unless I contract some horrible painful illness or something. Then I may very well be ready to die, and I'll take care of it. Other than that, I really enjoy life. I have a lot of fun, and I don't worry about death (other than an occasional offhanded "Ew if I mess this up, this will really hurt and then I'll die" sort of way).

Quote:
They have to in order to try to keep Christians from telling them about heaven.
Is that all it takes to get you guys to Ess-Tee-Eff-Yew and stop trying to convert us? If we only knew...

Old 02-13-2009, 10:34 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,954,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
Ready? No, I'll never be "ready" to die unless I contract some horrible painful illness or something. Then I may very well be ready to die, and I'll take care of it. Other than that, I really enjoy life. I have a lot of fun, and I don't worry about death (other than an occasional offhanded "Ew if I mess this up, this will really hurt and then I'll die" sort of way).

Is that all it takes to get you guys to Ess-Tee-Eff-Yew and stop trying to convert us? If we only knew...
Gaah, stupid 'spread the rep' message. I.O.U +1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality